This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 3452

rollinonhubs

auto to clutch   Posted Sun Feb 19, 06   8:23 AM     

how much labor and money would it take to swap a mustang notch auto to a 5spd?

buddhakwake
Re: auto to clutch   Posted Sun Feb 19, 06   9:25 AM     

Not too sure, but from the brief look on Google it seems like it could be quite difficult, depending on what kinds of things need to be changed (possible computer components, wiring, and not to mention changing pedals), or it could be quite easy (apparently Hondas aren't too difficult). It might be a better idea to sell the auto and buy a manual (of course, there are those who prefer autos for things like quarter miles, since they can shift faster, with a swap to increase stall speed).

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
rollinonhubs

Re: auto to clutch   Posted Sun Feb 19, 06   10:37 AM     

oh okay, yea i still have my auto mustang, but i have a friend that has a black auto 5.0 notch that i wanted to buy. its getting hard to find any good 5spds around here

buddhakwake
Re: auto to clutch   Posted Sun Feb 19, 06   10:41 AM     

The real question is, what do you want the car for? is it for drag or some other kind of racing. If it's for a drag car, keep the auto and just upgrade it. If it's for anything else, you want the control of a manual transmission.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
rollinonhubs

Re: auto to clutch   Posted Sun Feb 19, 06   11:39 AM     

i want it to drive it like any other car, but i would like to turn one into a street beast, and a decent 1/4 mile runner

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: auto to clutch   Posted Sun Feb 19, 06   5:19 PM     

Trans, trans mounts, shift cables and linkage, clutch, pedal, clutch master and slave, gauge cluster, shifter, and some custom work to get the pedal in place and the bezel around the shifter to work with a stick.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO
rollinonhubs

Re: auto to clutch   Posted Sun Feb 19, 06   6:21 PM     

wow,okay maybe i should just buy a 5spd then

FastFiveO
Re: auto to clutch   Posted Mon Feb 20, 06   2:06 PM     

depending on the setup and what components you get. all you need is the basics on the list the trans mounts. junkyard clutch pedel and shifter ect. its work and money but not that big of a deal. most guys i know switch from manual to auto just so they don't bust.

86 mustang GT- lil boost lil spray lil mods
86 bronco 4x4 - 33's, mags, magniflow true duels, CAI ford racing 19 lb injectors's and much more
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: auto to clutch   Posted Mon Feb 20, 06   5:49 PM     

Its a very big deal. Its hard to drop a trans and replace everything out and then put another one in, especially if you have to cut a hole for a pedal and wire in all sorts of crap to control the lines. It would cost more than the value of the car to do this.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO
rollinonhubs

Re: auto to clutch   Posted Mon Feb 20, 06   7:46 PM     

even if the car was an auto, wouldn't it have the brackets for the pedals, and the extra holes for the shifter? especially a notch, because they come in autos and clutches.

But yea i understand now that it is too much trouble to do this swap