This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 1300

ToMas89
RWD FWD (oversteer, understeer)   Posted Sat Nov 26, 05   12:43 PM     

I was wondering if you could provide a few tips to dealing with over/understeer while drive. IE when this occours what to do. Thanks in advance

buddhakwake
Re: RWD FWD (oversteer, understeer)   Posted Sat Nov 26, 05   1:08 PM     

Before I start this, I must recommend that you go to a driving school to properly learn how to handle these situations, but here is what I have learned through trial and error. FWD understeer usually occurs because the drive wheels slip due to turning and accelerating at the same time. One solution to this is to let off the gas and DON"T hit the brakes (this will just add to the stress on the tires). If it is really bad, then about the best you can do is hold on and straighten the wheels so the tires have a chance to grab on again. If you have a daredevil streak in you you could hit the ebrake and kick out the back end to put the car on line, but I don't recommend it. Serious oversteer won't happen with a FWD car and isn't usually too likely to happen with AWD (the tend to understeer like FWD and for the same reasons). When you oversteer badly with your RWD you need to slowly let off the gas (too quickly will let the rear end lift more and could make it worse) and steer the front wheels opposite of the way they were going (i.e. if you oversteer in a right hand sweeper cut the wheel left, like drifting) this will help you from spinning out completely. Whatever you do, don't gun the engine as this will just make the rear wheel continue to spin and the car will keep sliding.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.