This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 23715

Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3  
WallOfSound
Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Mon Aug 22, 05   4:51 PM     

Well one thing im curious about is are they any / many decent V6 cars that have alot of performance options? The pages i seem to come up with for performance stuff seem to have alot fo 4cylinders and nothing for the 6's that i look up. I have always been a big 6 fan, 4 is weak, 8 burns to much fuel. Im not realy sure what web sites to go to for these things, and the ones i search up show me nothing i am looking for.
I cant afford to change cars now... not realy, but i would like to find a car to dream on/think on, something i can look forward to later on. But i cant seem to find what im looking for.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Mon Aug 22, 05   5:45 PM     

The only thing you can get with a v6 that has tuner support is an NSX, a 240SX and then swap in an RB26, or a Supra.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO
FastFiveO
Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Mon Aug 22, 05   6:02 PM     

save up and get a SHO swap. with a turbo. but if you really want to make a decent impact on that car being as there heavy you will haf to lose some casualty's and gut it down pretty good.

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
buddhakwake
Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Mon Aug 22, 05   6:44 PM     

There is support being developed for the Z, though there's not too much yet.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Mon Aug 22, 05   7:35 PM     

The Z totally slipped my mind.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO
WallOfSound
Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Mon Aug 22, 05   7:47 PM     

so.. basicly all real performance is based on 4 cylinder engines? v6 has more power, but you can get more power out of a 4 then a 6 because of performance eq? or does the equipment just make it equal out to a high 6? would like to understand this better, realy curious and lost why all the real performance is on the lowest cylinder, smallest engine types. Is it just because most good 4s are small cars, light weight to make them go faster? or is there more reason to this.

buddhakwake
Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Mon Aug 22, 05   7:57 PM     

The number one reason is demand. There are many more small, 4 cylinder engined cars than v6 cars. This means that more people own them and thus more people will be looking for performance parts for them (lower power plus higher numbers means more demand for mods). Pretty simple economics actually.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
FastFiveO
Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Mon Aug 22, 05   8:12 PM     

you can get a 4 cyl to make about as much hp as a 6 or 8 cyl but not quite. but.. they cant produce as much torque. the motor can be smaller for light weight reason but they work best in a lighter car. torque works wonders on heavier cars to help them get off the line and down the road. best way to get a 4 cylinder to more horse power is to up the compression and slap on a turbo as long as you dont over do the boost or you can blow the block to pieces unless it is a stronger block built for the application the way to push more boost psi into a 4 cylinder is to keep a fairly low compression and up the psi's. so small motors work best in smaller cars. the bigger the car the larger motor you need to equal out the weight to power to torque ratio. instead of turbo you can run superchargers but they need to be maintained and with that it takes power to make power because it is belt driven and slows that down you can run a smaller pully on a supercharger which with spline it faster . turbo's run off of exhaust there for the more you get on the car the more boost it will push but you can get them to run a decent ammount of boost but they peak out at a certin rpm with a supercharger you constantly run boost but they only serve a equivelent ammount of boost. thats why turbos lag and superchargers dont. but keep in mind. the more power your pulling out of a car the shorter it is going to last.

buddhakwake
Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Mon Aug 22, 05   8:45 PM     

torque is important for all cars, the only semi-exception being with a very high revving car. If the engine doesn't rev past about 7500 or 8000 rpms, you're going to need lots of torque to get decent horsepower (hp=tq times rpm divided by 5252). Thus ends my little math lesson. Can you tell I'm bored?

WallOfSound
Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Mon Aug 22, 05   8:54 PM     

so what your saying is a decent stock v6 can beat most 4's even with high performance gear because they are still a 4? so most good v6's dont realy need much mod'ing, just the "always" exterior change(looks)? Not nesisarly including mine if thats true though, because i can tell this cars acceleration/torque is sorta low, plus consumer guide says thats one of its cons. wich sucks cause i dunno how to fix that heh. though when i come to think of it, i recall seeing taurus and other 6's in professional racing, they dont modify them? im sure they do, is that custom stuff not on the market to buy or what?

buddhakwake
Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Mon Aug 22, 05   9:04 PM     

No. The thing is a v6 or a v8 will always have more potential for power than a 4 cylinder, and will almost always have more power stock. The modding you see in professional stuff will almost always be custom work (though it may include bolt-on parts, they will be put on in some way that requires expensive custom work). The thing is, a Taurus is not intended to be a quick car. What you need to do is just deal with having a boring stock car for a while, until you can save up enough to replace the car with something better.

FastFiveO
Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Mon Aug 22, 05   10:08 PM     

think of cars as a food chain. the more cylinders the stronger the block the better off you are. and the more you can suck out of them. 12,i think some one had a 10 cyl before. 8. 6. 4. 3 (gotta love the geo's)

buddhakwake
Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Tue Aug 23, 05   12:31 AM     

Hell, there were v16s back in the 30s and 40s. and there are wonderful little two cylinder 650 cc engines in some cars today (though not here in the states).

rabidronin
Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Fri Aug 26, 05   12:26 AM     

V16's back in the 30's and 40's? Theres V16's today, in the Bugatti Veyron. Quad turbo 16 cylinder engine, with over 1000hp. Google it.

But yeah, deal with owning a taurus. I personally own a 96 Corolla. I love cars, and Id love to mod a car, but Im not going to go there with my Toyota, it just isnt made for it. If I can wait, you can too.

Too bad I was a teen with no money when I had a more mod-able Neon and Jetta :-) Oh well, theres always the future.

rabidronin
Re: Seeking Information..   Posted Fri Aug 26, 05   12:27 AM     

And yes, the Veyron is going to be a production road car, not a one off.

Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3