This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 18826

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3  
thecardinal6

Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Thu Jun 16, 05   7:45 PM     

How much would an average engine replacement cost for a vehicle like a Civic or other small import. People iv'e asked have said around 5,000 but that sounds a little low. I'm thinking abot a complete engine, even down to the spark plugs. Speaking of spark plugs, I wonder how many companies make em' any way? And how much is Nitrous? Does it really work like it does in the movies? Is it dangerous?

I will not hesitate to beat your a** with your own shoe m***** f*****
-LAPD Officer
FastFiveO
Re: Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Thu Jun 16, 05   9:07 PM     

nitrous is for ppl who are to scared of spending money on actualy building there cars. and i dont think rebuilds on a lil engine should be that much being as i have a v8 and my car isnt gona cost me more then 800

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
buddhakwake
Re: Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Thu Jun 16, 05   9:46 PM     

He doesn't want a rebuild, it sounds like he wants an engine swap. which for a civic would cost you anywhere from about 2000 to 5000 dollars depending on what you are going for and how many other things besides just the engine you are swapping as well.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Fri Jun 17, 05   8:28 AM     

Sounds to me like he wants a pre-built crate motor, and in that case, its gonna cost you around $10,000

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
DBLDREW
Re: Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Fri Jun 17, 05   10:03 AM     

Don’t listen to FastFiveO about nitrous, he seems bitter on the subject (probably because he keeps getting smoked by people who use it) To answer your question no it doesn’t work like it does in the movies (nothing ever does). But check out the Price vs Power Gain thread, I wrote up some info about nitrous that should answer some of your questions.

F.Y.I. FastFiveO you are going to spend a lot more then $800 to rebuild your moter that wouldn’t even cover the machine costs.

89 Mustang 11.86 @ 118mph
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Fri Jun 17, 05   10:27 PM     

For $800, I could buy a 2.0L out of a CRV, rather than a rebuild.

Samir "Office Space"
Riceracer
Re: Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Sat Jun 18, 05   5:13 PM     

In reply to:

For $800, I could buy a 2.0L out of a CRV, rather than a rebuild.

You could but would you actually go through with that? I mean its a CRV, you'd still have to put a lot of money into that engine to meet the standards these days.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Sat Jun 18, 05   7:49 PM     

My current 1.8L B18B only makes 140FWHP and 120LB/FT of TQ, a B20Z makes 158 FWHP and 160LB/FT of TQ; thats good enough to make a race against a GSR a drivers race. Im willing to bet I could make it 200WHP+ if I wanted to.

Samir "Office Space"
FastFiveO
Re: Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Sun Jun 19, 05   10:23 PM     

cocky lil retarded son of a bitch are we. nitrous is retarded for street cars your anal probing retarded fagget. if your lil piece of shit can take me because of nitrous so be it but aleast i have ever lasting power and dont haf to worry about 25-30+ bucks every time i lose the only thing that makes my car go you stupid ass mother fucker. O and by the way id like to see you keep up in the first place O and i know ppl at a machine shot you stupid iliterate son of a bitch. learn before you open your asshole of a mouth and talk shit and yes 800 will build my motor. its called INTERNALS ON A DOMESTIC aka i ant gotta pay 80 bucks to ship a 5 dollar part from japan retards like you give car owners a bad rep id rather talk to a car iliterate person then hear you whine.

DBLDREW
Re: Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Mon Jun 27, 05   11:46 AM     

If you are going to call me a retard you might want to make sure you know what your talking about. I went and looked up the parts you would need for a rebuild at http://www.jegs.com Now if you shopped around you could probably get some of the parts a little cheaper, but I didn’t feel like wasting all day bargain hunting different sites just to prove you don’t know what your talking about.

The prices I provided are just for parts, there are no machine shop charges. I figured you would do a standard .030” overbore, you would grind and reuse your stock crank, and recondition your stock rods. (if you are planning to buy a new crank and rods your price will go up a lot)

(SRP pistons - $453.00, Speed-pro forged $336.00, Ross Racing pistons- $526.00)

Pistons-$336.00 (Speed-pro)
Rings- $100.00 (Speed-pro)
Main bearings - $23.00 (Clevite 77)
Rod bearings- $24.00 (Clevite 77)
Timing chain - $66.00 (Ford)
Hydraulic roller lifters- $170.00 (Crane Cams)
Oil pump - $55.00 (Ford)
Water Pump- $50.00 (Ford)
Gasket set - $60.00 (Fel-Pro)
Total - $884.00

So to get back down to your $800.00 budget you will have to find a machine shop that will PAY YOU $84.00 to do the work on your motor. Now to be fair you could get some of those parts cheaper, like the lifters I know you could probably pick them up for around ~$120.00 but I didn’t add in push rod, shipping and rocker arms so regardless you will still be over $800 in parts alone.

In reply to:

O and by the way id like to see you keep up in the first place O and i know ppl at a machine shot you stupid iliterate son of a bitch.

Now I’m not usually one who points out spelling and grammar errors (mostly because my posts are usually full of them) but I think it’s very funny that in the same (almost incoherent) sentence that you called me a “stupid iliterate son of a bitch” that you spelled Illiterate wrong, also what exactly is a machine shot? Is it anything like a machine shop?
Ok I’m done with the cheap shots (even though you deserved them)

In reply to:

if your lil piece of shit can take me because of nitrous so be it but aleast i have ever lasting power

I could probably take you with out the nitrous. What exactly have you done to your car?

FastFiveO
Re: Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Mon Jun 27, 05   11:57 AM     

haha.. ok dumb ass heres a tip you dont know what parts ive already bought and had there for you can be smart all you want but jegs is expensive in thefirst place especialy including shiping if you want to be mr. technical. and ive done my math with it. O and yes i can get it done around 800 its called a parts store.

DBLDREW
Re: Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Mon Jun 27, 05   12:55 PM     

In reply to:

haha.. ok dumb ass heres a tip you dont know what parts ive already bought

So just because you have pre-bought some of the parts you’re not going to count them as part of your total cost of your rebuild? That’s a very odd way of thinking. So if we apply that kind of logic to say… buying a new car. Lets say I have a car payment of $500.00 after I pay it off I can tell people I bought it for only $500.00 (the last payment) because all of the other payments were pre-payments and don’t count. You must see how flawed your logic is.

You also didn’t answer my question, what have you done to your car?

FastFiveO
Re: Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Mon Jun 27, 05   1:47 PM     

pre bought parts are not in the logic of a rebuild dew to there already bought and installed before the rebuild of the block was in process there is a difference in what you bought and what the new parts your replacing when you rebuild. and you can see what i have done not that its anything for you to worry about
www.cardomain.com/id/86stanggt

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Mon Jun 27, 05   2:27 PM     

That has to be one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen, regardless of make. Im getting sick and tired of trying to decipher what it is you are trying to say, so please please PLEASE use some punctuation.

Samir "Office Space"
FastFiveO
Re: Engine Replacement/Spark Plugs/Nitrous   Posted Mon Jun 27, 05   3:26 PM     

bro,, please please please learn to read.. ';",/}]{[)(* <-- that shit doesnt make a comment. i never asked you to spread your opinoin on my car and it doesnt haf to be pretty to be fast. its not a damn show car...... and if there so unbaribly ugly i dont think they would have sold so many of them ya smart ass.. i dont crack on your car. but of corse your to scared to post pics. and besides that. integras arn't the best looking .

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3