This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 5587

racefan
Cars   Posted Mon May 2, 05   2:48 PM     

im not 16 and i have no idea wat to get 4 my frist car any ideas any 1 within a resoanlbe budget

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Cars   Posted Mon May 2, 05   3:47 PM     

A new pair of Nike's.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
MustangFanatic

Re: Cars   Posted Mon May 2, 05   6:06 PM     

Try to get a Nice, cheap car that you won't mind too much if it crashes, and make sure it's stickshift, automatics aren't that fast. Also the stickshift will help you learn to drive when you get a Car that you want to tune.

buddhakwake
Re: Cars   Posted Tue May 3, 05   1:39 AM     

the cheapest, most gutless p.o.s. you can find till you learn to drive. Then something better.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Riceracer
Re: Cars   Posted Tue May 3, 05   12:32 PM     

Aka. a '96 sunfire as the gutless pos, then get an s2000. But then again, that's kinda biased cause s2000s are one of my favourite cars.

buddhakwake
Re: Cars   Posted Tue May 3, 05   1:33 PM     

I wouldn't recommend steppun up quite that much. I meant something more like a slightly modded civic, something about 160-180 hp. Then step up to the over 200 hp cars. But in my opinion, one of the best ways to learn how to drive is to get a RWD car on a dirt road or other open dirt area and go wild, spin that bastard and do your best to recover. It really teaches you how to handle a car. Of course the best way is to go to someplace like Bondurant, but most of us can't afford something like that.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Riceracer
Re: Cars   Posted Tue May 3, 05   4:49 PM     

I guess you're right, going from 128 to 240HP is a huge jump for a beginner driver.

buddhakwake
Re: Cars   Posted Wed May 4, 05   4:29 PM     

Not to mention going from a gutless FWD to a fairly powerful (not earthshaking mind you, but enough to get moving really well) RWD. That's quite a change, the handling is completely different (understeerring FWD vs. oversteering RWD). You have to be more careful going through turns in a RWD car if you're used to FWD, because it can be quite easy to kick the back end out and spin if you hit the gas too hard going through the corner.

FastFiveO
Re: Cars   Posted Wed May 4, 05   6:19 PM     

yeah but i prefer to be able to have a driftable car.. instead of a trayslidable car... however if you can get up to speed and control a car while tray sliding you a hell of a driver.. hahaha

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
buddhakwake
Re: Cars   Posted Wed May 4, 05   6:37 PM     

I prefer Driftable cars too, but I think that for a beginner anything more than a low powered RWD (or even FWD for that matter) is a dangerous idea. Moving from a very weak FWD to a RWD with twice the power is an even more dangerous idea. That's what I was trying to tell Riceracer.

FastFiveO
Re: Cars   Posted Thu May 5, 05   12:52 AM     

true.. but ive hadn many cars and this is pretty much my first car ive done major stuff with and im yet to come close to wraping it around a tree on these back roads.. but alot of ppl cant adapt to cars that quickly so your prolly right.

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
buddhakwake
Re: Cars   Posted Thu May 5, 05   4:25 PM     

The big difference between you and him is that you said that you have had many cars before. So even though this is the first one you've done major work with, you've driven (most likely) alot already. He said it's his first car. When someone comes to a street racing website for info about their first car I get a little scared that they are going to try and be Little E or Schumacher right off the bat and take out half a dozen innocent people out with them when they crash. So that's why I tell people to get low powered cars for their first car, so they have time to get some miles under their belts before they start going power mad and flying around everywhere. I'm working on building up my cars for the first time too, and I waited until I had almost 200,000 miles driven before I did (is it just me or does that sound like alot of miles for a 25 year old?), because even though I learned how to drive on dirt roads at 10, including lots of spinning and fun stunt driver kinda stuff, I wanted to get plenty of real world experience before I started racing something powerful. Okay, now that I've written a novel, I'll end this post with a big HOWDY to everyone (been up for too many hours in a row now so I'm a bit loopy).

racefan
Re: Cars   Posted Fri May 6, 05   3:15 PM     

thanx 4 ur advice

storm

Re: Cars   Posted Sat May 14, 05   4:05 PM     

IMO get a old 65 mustang with a 289 V8 in it and keep it stock for now, it's a V8 but it's not a power house stock, and you still want something reasonably fast, or else you'll go from a slow POS to a real fast car even if you've had 5 years exp in driving, or you will stack it, just take it easy at start get used to the car then you can start putting your foot down a little more when you get used to it, then mod after a few years, or new faster car or something

My Boss EB Ghia V8:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/storm_w
PaulSupraMA70
Re: Cars   Posted Wed Jun 1, 05   4:56 PM     

chevrolegs

Watch the leather man ha-ha-ha-ha...