This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 15962

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3  
buddhakwake
Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Sun Apr 10, 05   6:17 PM     

Just thought I'd get other opinions on this, does anybody think that 800 bucks (not installed) for an exhaust and intake that are dyno tested to provide 18 hp and 10 torque more at the wheels is too much, or am I being unreasonable. This is for the Scion tC by the way, and it represents about 14% more hp at the wheels and about 7% more torque at the wheels.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
talljosh85
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Sun Apr 10, 05   8:12 PM     

How complete is the exhaust? IE, cat back or what? I know for my car, the best intake is about $400 and cat backs start at $350, so it doesn't sound too unreasonable, but I'd save up for the turbo kit (GReddy right?) and skip the intake for now.

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
buddhakwake
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Sun Apr 10, 05   8:52 PM     

well, there are a couple of turbo kits already listed on tctunerz.com, Scionspeed has three stages from 3379 for stage one to 6500 for stage three (power increases 65% for stage one to 125% for stage three based on their low estimates) with an intercooler on the stage three, and one coming up from ZPI based on the mitsubishi 16g turbo but no info on price or specs. but I can't afford those yet, just a bit beyond my price range for oh about two years. not to mention I prefer superchargers, and when they come out with the tC one I'm gonna try to find someone who can develop a twin charger system for the tC like HKS made at one point for the MR2 that ran a super and tuurbo charger. whereas the intake and exhaust (which I'm not sure I want to change seeing as how I already have a trd exhaust, but I'm not sure what kind of numbers I'll get with that and the intake since the bigger numbers in the combo I'm looking at are from the exhaust, which is a catback at 531 bucks whereas the intake, weapon r, is 279).

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
buddhakwake
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Sun Apr 10, 05   9:11 PM     

Wait, it gets more complicated. The Weapon R intake when dynoed alone only boosted hp by 6 and torque by 1, the rest of the gains (12 hp and 9 torque) came after the exhaust. The tctunerz website doen't specifically have a dyno for the K&N intake, but they link to purchase it says that it'll boost hp by 8-10 and torque by 10 alone. Now this seems a bit high for just an intake, but I figure that with that intake and the exhause I'll most likely get higer results over all, and the K&N is only 50 buck more than the Weapon R. Any opinions?

talljosh85
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Mon Apr 11, 05   11:53 PM     

Inevitably, its your money. SO is the additional power worth it to you? I'm still a proponent of waiting and saving for a turbocharger set up, superchargers are great in many applications, but a turbo will often produce more peak boost, and with a high revving four cylinder, this seems like the better way to go when aiming for the most power possible. If you don't want to mess with it as much, then I vote save up for a supercharger kit. But, personally, I see all these intakes and cat backs going for hundreds of dollars and just think that all too often people are getting ripped off, an aluminum tube with a cheap filter on the end is not worth $200+. It just isn't. You could do what I did, buy the cheap polished tube set up off eBay for $30 and put on some K&N cone filters and voila!

buddhakwake
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Tue Apr 12, 05   5:33 PM     

But my engine isn't very high-revving. It has a redline of about 6500 rpm, that's probably why TRD is coming out with a supercharger rather than a turbo. I suppose I could just get the pipe myself and make the intake, but I'd rather try and spend my time developing that twin charger (turbo and super) for my car. Who knows, I might get lucky and come up with a good design for it. At this point probably none of it is worth it to me, since none of my multiple jobs pays very well, but I'm the kind of person who likes to plan these kinds of things way ahead of time. Thanks for the advice anyway though.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Tue Apr 12, 05   7:17 PM     

I made my own Icebox (Comptech one is like $400) for 40 bucks including the filter.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
talljosh85
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Sun Apr 17, 05   1:26 PM     

6500 isn't a low redline, not astronomical, although I thought it was higher. Personally, I don't think a twincharger set up would be worth the time or money, just picking an appropriately sized turbo would be suitable. Either way, good luck with your project. Josh

buddhakwake
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Sun Apr 17, 05   11:12 PM     

Thanks man. I guess it just seems like a low redline after the 7500 for my MR2 (oh, and I was wrong, it's only 6250 or so in the tC). I know the twin charger idea probably isn't worth it, but it'd be kinda cool to have one and (most likely) be the only one with it. Oh well, I guess I've got time though since I'm waiting until either my warranty runs out or gets close to running out or I don't have to worry about the financial consequences before I do anything to radical to the car anyway.

FastFiveO
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Mon Apr 18, 05   10:46 AM     

if your talking about work to your TC check out the toyo? TC they got that bitch looking sweet no to mention its got a custom turboset running around o... over 400hp

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
buddhakwake
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Tue Apr 19, 05   11:13 AM     

that's nothing, Jotech motorsports in texas working with Nitto tires has a tC modded out to 533 whp and 506 torque at the wheels. but the thing is I don't have the money for that stuff. Scionspeed has a stage three turbo (yes that's what they call it) that'll put out at least 327 and 320 at the wheels at 12psi (they were going to test with more boost, but the stock clutch couldn't handle the hp, so they don't know just how much it'll put out). so there are options, but I'm still worried about keeping my warranty, so I'll stick with the trd sc (if it ever comes out) until close to my warranty end date.

FastFiveO
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Tue Apr 19, 05   1:07 PM     

yeah.. that will prolly be good for you.. if they come out.. lol but i never go by warranty's because they never cover things. because if something happends to it it just has to be your fault... ive never understood that

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
buddhakwake
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Tue Apr 19, 05   4:03 PM     

That's why I'm keeping any changes to those things offered through scion itself and done by the dealer until my warranty runs out. I figure if I never do anything to the car myself and have the dealer do everything, then they can't say I did it. Plus I'm hoping that knowing the service writers at my dealership will help me have a better chance.

oldschoolford
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Thu May 19, 05   7:56 AM     

how about nos it will give you a def 10 to 400 hp gain torque im not real sure but a 400 shot is about $700
i would spend that much on that shit you are so yeah

buddhakwake
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Thu May 19, 05   11:24 AM     

Nos is cheating. I'm going to build the car up as much as I can before I ever use it. I may drive a Japanese car, but I'm no ricer. Don't even have a body kit on the thing (or a spoiler).

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3