This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 15962

Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3)  
DBLDREW
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Mon Jun 6, 05   9:42 PM     

In reply to:

Posted by: buddhakwake
The information that I have found in the past says that NO2 separates into N and O2 at a temperature of approximately 570 degrees. whereas gasoline vapors begin burning at 450 degrees and the optimal temperature is 495 degrees.

Your facts are slightly correct; yes the oxygen doesn’t separate in the no2 until 570 deg. But the temperature for gasoline you provided is the minimum ignition temperature not the actual burn temperature. The actual burn temp of gasoline is several thousand degrees.

In reply to:

Posted by: buddhakwake
But in my opinion this doesn't relate to where this discussion began, which was with my saying that Nos was the easy way out, which according to what you said is true.

Well there is a lot of false information being tossed around in regards to nos, you also asked for a “coherent argument” so I provided you with one. I also cant help chiming in when I see posts like this.. “Nos is for people who don't have the brains or the talent to actually make a car go faster with the engine” I use nos are you saying I don’t have any brains or talent?

In reply to:

Posted by FastFiveO
A nitrous is NOT safer because it can turn your block into a time bomb especialy if used during shifting

This is incorrect if you set it up right it will be no more harder on your engine then any other mods that add the same hp.

In reply to:

not to mention if you get hit and those hoses bust and a spark is ignighted kiss your ass goodbye

Wrong, nitrous is not flammable. It’s the high concentration of oxygen in the nitrous that helps make power, and oxygen isn’t a fuel, it won’t burn by itself.

In reply to:

you show me factory nitrous injected cars instead of factory supercharged or turboo'd cars and ill show you which is safer

Sorry but this is just a horrible argument your trying to make. You only get about 2-3 min out of a full bottle of nos making it completely impractical for an everyday car.

In reply to:

superchargers/turbos add more air to the motor to cause a hotter detination. nitrous does to however its like taking a butant lighter vs a cutting torch the nitrous makes a harder and hotter detonation where it could explode your motor. thats why ppl would go for 20 psi vs a 50 shot of nitrous. and that 20 psi would be a whole lot more powerful. and keep your motor lasting longer

I really hate to rip on a fellow mustang guy but you really don’t have any idea what you’re talking about.

My car has been running in the high 11s for the past 10 years, I run 100 shot of nos, I have a stock crank and rods and kb pistons. So apparently you’re wrong with nos melting your block.

89 Mustang 11.86 @ 118mph
buddhakwake
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Mon Jun 6, 05   11:08 PM     

There are people who have run well over 20 psi in the tC, with no problems reported. So I'd rather boost my car than give it nitrous.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jet
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Tue Jun 7, 05   10:55 AM     

yeah i say just get the stuff leave the nos for ater but TC's are really good i have test driven a stock one but they perform extremly well no matter what you do to them

You just go into a trance once you hear the engine revving.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Tue Jun 7, 05   4:31 PM     

Several thousand degrees is the surface of the sun my friend, and I doubt any substance on earth can withstand that. NOx is flammable; pure oxygen is a flammable gas, and the same goes with Nitrogen. You ever seen what happens to a bottle of compressed oxygen when it gets hit by something? It explodes!

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
buddhakwake
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Tue Jun 7, 05   5:50 PM     

Well, I searched last night, and never found the actual in-cylinder temperature before ignition, but the temp just post ignition can be around 4000 degrees, but that changes very quickly with the power stroke of the piston (decrease in pressure as piston drops). I would bet that the temp pre-ignition is no more than one eighth that (500 degrees) at most, this is based on the fact that a diesel pre-ignition reaches around 1000 degrees (with double or more compression). Again, I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong, but that's an estimate based on the fact that that temp is reached because of the explosion.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
DBLDREW
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Wed Jun 8, 05   7:17 AM     

The temp of the sun is a lot hotter then a few thousand degrees. Basically the sun is like a huge nuclear reactor, and the temp of a nuclear bomb exploding is several million degrees not thousands. I mean look at propane and natural gas, both burn at slightly over 3500 degrees Fahrenheit, so your trying to say that my stove is hotter then the sun?

Pure oxygen is not a fuel it doesn't burn. You obviously never have done any welding. Or if you have you never paid any attention to what happens when you shut off the supply of acetylene and just have the oxygen. If you have access to a torch try it out, fire up the gas, open up the supply of oxygen to get a nice hot flame, now turn off the supply of acetylene but leave the supply of oxygen and guess what happens, the flame goes out, which if oxygen was flammable it would keep burning.

Or if you don't have access to a torch try this experiment. Light a candle, and see if the room explodes because there is a good supply of oxygen in the air.

As far as a bottle exploding when it gets hit, well they can hold several thousand psi of air pressure, so if the tank gets ruptured the explosion will be caused by the internal pressure not because it's combustible.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Wed Jun 8, 05   4:23 PM     

Last time I checked, my room wasnt full of pure oxygen. The SURFACE of he sun is a few thousand degrees celsius.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
buddhakwake
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Wed Jun 8, 05   4:42 PM     

No, acutally, your room is about 60% nitrogen, since that's the most plentful element in our atmosphere.

DBLDREW
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Thu Jun 9, 05   7:27 AM     

No your room isn't full of pure oxygen it's about 21% oxygen. When you light a candle only the candle burns, but if you fill a room with 21% propane what do you think will happen when you light a candle? Listen oxygen is a oxidizer not a fuel.

The suns core is at 27 million degrees F, the corona (The outermost layer) is at 2-5 million degrees F

I'm not sure how this thread turned into a science lession, but I think it got started when I posted that nitrous wasn't flammable so to help end the argument here you go...

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechServ/TechInfo/NOSTech5.html

here is the quote from it...

Q: Is nitrous oxide flammable?
A: No. Nitrous Oxide by itself is non-flammable. However, the oxygen present in nitrous oxide causes combustion of fuel to take place more rapidly.

Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3)