This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 15962

Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3  
oldschoolford
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Fri May 20, 05   7:43 AM     

well see that is your opion but it is not cheating

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Price Vs. Power Gain *DELETED*   Posted Fri May 20, 05   4:53 PM     

Post deleted by Rx_otary_Se7en

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Fri May 20, 05   4:53 PM     

Lets see him run a 100 shot of nos without blowing his motor. Nos is for hardcore dragging, not some petty streetrace.

Samir "Office Space"
buddhakwake
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Fri May 20, 05   7:44 PM     

Exactly my point, in streetracing not only is it dangerous, but it's equivalent to cheating (unless you know your opponents are using it as well, and then your all a bunch of fools looking for trouble).

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
oldschoolford
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Mon May 23, 05   6:47 AM     

no i know what it is your scared yeah it is can be danger with it but so is streetracing stripracing so is getting out of bed. so yeah it is not cheating. look at it this way if one person has nos how fun but if at least 2 people have a big time thrill fuck all this pansy racing on the trck that shit is boring that is what streetracing is for

buddhakwake
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Mon May 23, 05   1:27 PM     

Nos is for people who don't have the brains or the talent to actually make a car go faster with the engine. It has nothing to do with being scared, it has to do with real pride, not some foolish idea that winning no matter what it takes is what matters. A real man cares more about being honorable (hence the comment that if everyone in the race has it then fine but otherwise it's cheating) and coming in second than winning by taking the easy way out. That is for people with low self-esteem who feel like they are big men because of it. I've never been afraid of anything that stays on the ground. Now in the air that's another matter, planes are just asking for trouble. A wing falls off the plane and you're fucked, a tire falls off the car and you can save it if you're good enough, or just get lucky.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Mon May 23, 05   4:38 PM     

NOS is a poor mans temporary turbo. The only time anyone should ever use it is in professional competition.

Samir "Office Space"
FastFiveO
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Tue May 24, 05   3:57 AM     

i speak from experience. im a poor man but i still do all motor modifications. its not technicaly for "poor people" because its quite expensive. its really for lazy people more or less. they put it on a all factory car for "looks" and a quick shot of power when they are to stupid to know the concequences till they overheat and melt there block lol

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
oldschoolford
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Tue May 24, 05   7:19 AM     

see you people are complete dumbasses

FastFiveO
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Tue May 24, 05   7:47 AM     

if we are dumbasses why you the only one talking about nitrous being a good thing?

buddhakwake
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Tue May 24, 05   6:52 PM     

Good point. How about it old school? or are you unable to come up with a coherent arguement other than "it's fun" or "you're just a chicken"?

DBLDREW
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Mon Jun 6, 05   2:59 PM     

Nitrous adds more horse power and that is always a good thing. In many cases nitrous is safer then forced induction (turbo, supercharger). A turbo, supercharger and nitrous all do the exact same thing to increase horsepower, they add more oxygen. In the case of the turbo and supercharger they pack your manifold with air pressure, so when the intake valve(s) open you end up with a higher amount of air entering your combustion chamber, combine that with more fuel and you get more horsepower. Nitrous adds more oxygen in the form of spraying it directly into your manifold, nitrous has a very high concentration of oxygen, again more oxygen + more fuel = more hp.

So why is nitrous safer then forced induction. Well basically there is a couple of things that can go wrong that will cause an engine to fail. The first is that you are just asking too much out of your stock bottom end and it just cant take the increase in cylinder pressure. So for example lets say you add a 100+ shot of nos and you crack a rod because it physically isn't strong enough to handle the extra force generated by the increase in cylinder pressure. Now this kind of failure will also happen if you add a turbo that generates an extra 100 hp, in fact the same failure could occur if you just added an extra 100 hp with new cam heads intake etc.

Well now on to examples of how nitrous is safer the forced induction. Detonation, detonation is an engines worst nightmare. Basically what detonation is, is when you are not getting a nice even burn in your combustion chamber but rather getting an explosion. Detonation can be caused by a number of factors but some of the most common is heat and improper air/fuel mixture. Now with the heat issue, any forced induction will increase the air temperature. That is just a fact of compressing air, it creates heat. Now to help with this issue there are intercoolers that will help cool of the air charge to help compensate. But even with the help of an intercooler the air temp entering the manifold is still higher then the outside air temp (with the exception of an air to water intercooler that you can pack with ice) But with nitrous it sprays out ice cold and will drop the intake air temp below that of the outside air temp.

As far as improper air fuel mixture. This is caused by improper injector size, fuel pump size, or a complete fuel pump failure. Now if you lean out an engine due to a mismatched fuel system you will burn out a piston just as easily if you are running nos or forced injection. The one advantage of running nitrous over forced induction is if you have a fuel pump failure. When your fuel pump fails there are censors for nitrous that will immediately shut off the nitrous when the fuel pressure drops off you don't have that luxury with a turbo or supercharger.

Now I made a lot of points about the benefits of nitrous but the most important point made was the first one posted, nitrous make more horsepower and you cant argue that fact.

89 Mustang 11.86 @ 118mph
buddhakwake
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Mon Jun 6, 05   4:55 PM     

I'm not an expert on this, but it seems to me that running nitrous oxide increases risk of knock, and possibly detonation, because of the temperature required to separate the nitrogen and oxygen. The information that I have found in the past says that NO2 separates into N and O2 at a temperature of approximately 570 degrees farenheit, whereas gasoline vapors begin burning at 450 degrees and the optimal temperature is 495 degrees. Since the NO2 needs to be heated to a higher temperature than the optimal combustion temperature for gasoline, it would seem that it increases the risk of early firing. Now, as I said, I could be wrong, but this is how it seems to me. But in my opinion this doesn't relate to where this discussion began, which was with my saying that Nos was the easy way out, which according to what you said is true.

FastFiveO
Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Mon Jun 6, 05   6:06 PM     

A nitrous is NOT safer because it can turn your block into a time bomb especialy if used during shifting not to mention if you get hit and those hoses bust and a spark is ignighted kiss your ass goodbye. and as for safer. no i dont think so. you show me factory nitrous injected cars instead of factory supercharged or turboo'd cars and ill show you which is safer. superchargers/turbos add more air to the motor to cause a hotter detination. nitrous does to however its like taking a butant lighter vs a cutting torch the nitrous makes a harder and hotter detination where it could explode your motor. thats why ppl would go for 20 psi vs a 50 shot of nitrous. and that 20 psi would be a whole lot more powerful. and keep your motor lasting longer

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Price Vs. Power Gain   Posted Mon Jun 6, 05   7:04 PM     

I dunno about 20psi, I would run 8psi on my Integra and have a few second thoughts.

Samir "Office Space"
Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3