This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 4430

buddhakwake
Engine swap help   Posted Tue Mar 15, 05   8:56 PM     

Hey, does anybody know where I might find dimension information which would help me figure out if I could put a camry or lexus V6 into my tC, and if so how much work it would be to do. On the same line, where might I find out the same info about swapping something larger into my 89 MR2? Was looking at the Toyota/Lexus/Scion Technical Information Service, but it's a pay site, and I would like to know if I can get my money's worth before I pay.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Engine swap help   Posted Tue Mar 15, 05   9:29 PM     

Why would you want to swap a Lexus v6 or a Camry motor into your tC. I know you can swap a 2JZ into an SC300, so look more into that.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
buddhakwake
Re: Engine swap help   Posted Tue Mar 15, 05   9:44 PM     

I thought that the engine in the gs300 was a 2JZ variant. That's the engine (GS300) I was looking at because of the 245 HP at 6200 and 230 TQ at 3600. all the earlier 2JZs listed at Toysport have less power and torque than that, so that was what I was looking at. If I'm wrong and there are 2JZs that are better stock then let me know which they are so that I can check them out. But more importantly (since if it won't fit it doesn't matter) are the dimensions of the engine compartment and whether it will hook up to the electronics and tranny. If anyone knows where I might find that info I'd sure appreciate it.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
talljosh85
Re: Engine swap help   Posted Wed Mar 16, 05   12:08 PM     

Well, the 2jz is mounted longitudally, whilst the camry V6 is horizontal, so swapping in the camry motor would be easier, although for your tC I'd suggest looking into a turbo kit of some sort. The regular 2jzge can be modified to make better power then the V6 from what I've seen, although if you were going to go through all that trouble, it might make more sense to spend more for the 2jzgte out of the Supra TT (and other cars in Japan).

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
buddhakwake
Re: Engine swap help   Posted Wed Mar 16, 05   3:25 PM     

So the camry motor is mounted horizontally, but what about the 3.0L from the GS300? I think that's the engine I want to try to put in. and does anybody know what the engine designation is for the gs300?

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Engine swap help   Posted Wed Mar 16, 05   4:32 PM     

Sc300,GS300,IS300 all use the same 3.0 motor. Since their "Lexus" motors, their gonna be crazy expensive, so just buy the 2JZGTE. I dont even think there is difference in them at all, not even compression.

Samir "Office Space"
buddhakwake
Re: Engine swap help   Posted Wed Mar 16, 05   8:30 PM     

Actually, the current IS300 uses an inline six, not a v6, and it has different power and torque ratings (215 and 218 vs. 245 and 230). And looking at the Toysport website for reference, they have the non-turbo 2jz with 400 miles on it listed at 4500 less than the turbo with 7000 miles on it (2000 vs. 6500). My first impulse is to go for the non-turbo, what do you guys think. And MOST IMPORTANT, because without this info all of this discussion (while fun) is completely useless to me, where can I find info that will help me figure out before I buy if any of these engines will even fit into my car and/or what else I will have to change to make them fit?

talljosh85
Re: Engine swap help   Posted Wed Mar 16, 05   9:35 PM     

The regular, n/a, I6 2jzge can be found in the SC300, GS300, IS300 and n/a MKIV Supra. They varied from year to year, the later ones had variable valve timing as I recall, but they were all basically the same motor. I know there was a 2nd gen MR2 with a Camry V6 swapped in, but I don't have a link to it, although it did win the Sport Compact Car tuner car whatever challenge, so look for it through them. The 2jzge can be built up and make lots of power via aftermarket turbo kits, but they aren't cheap and will require more work then just buying the TT 2jzgte (which is an expensive and in-demand engine as is). From here, putting the 2jzge or 2jzgte will be near impossible because of the set up, they all were put in rwd, front engine cars. The camry V6, however, was mounted horizontally, and the transmission set up for this. Overall, I think this will make putting the camry V6 into either and MR2 or tC easier then the 2jzge/2jzgte.

buddhakwake
Re: Engine swap help   Posted Wed Mar 16, 05   9:59 PM     

Okay, then my next question would be, what about the engine compartment size, where might I find that kind of info?

buddhakwake
Re: Engine swap help   Posted Wed Mar 16, 05   10:00 PM     

Although the current GS300 uses a v6 not an inline six, so it's not a 2jz engine. It is however RWD so it still probably won't work will it?

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Engine swap help   Posted Wed Mar 16, 05   10:18 PM     

I doubt you would be able to get a reasonably priced swap into your tC, considering how new the car is and all, but I do recall a friend of mine having his 1996 5speed SC300 with a 2jzgte in it. Swapped it right in, and was fast as an old lady in vegas.

Samir "Office Space"
talljosh85
Re: Engine swap help   Posted Fri Mar 18, 05   2:12 PM     

The current GS300 uses a V6? Like the brand new one or the 2004 or 2005? Well, anyways, it would be much more difficult to use an engine out of a rwd, front engine car such as the GS300, SC300, Supra, etc. because of the way the transmission is set up. As per actual dimensions on these motors, I can't help you out there, I never looked into swapping these into anything I've owned.

buddhakwake
Re: Engine swap help   Posted Sun Mar 20, 05   7:32 AM     

yeah, that's another thing I've been trying to investigate, but at this point, I keep running into walls. A buddy of mine told me something I should have thought of already, he said to call TRD in So Cal, and ask them. He seemed to think they might even have tried somehting like what I want to do, although I doubt it. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone, and I'll let you know what TRD tells me after I call them.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Engine swap help   Posted Sun Mar 20, 05   12:32 PM     

TRD doesnt respond well to private parties when it comes to stuff like this.

Samir "Office Space"