This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 2567

maribethxoxo

I'm new =) And I need some help.   Posted Thu Jan 13, 05   12:34 AM     

Hey everyone. I really dont know a thing about cars to tell ya the truth. And I'm really interested in street racing. There's a lot of races where I live. I really want to race, but I'm new to driving still. Anyone have any ideas for me? Like what type of car I should get for a beginner racer? My dream car is a Honda S2000 but I dont know if I will ever come up with that money. You can also tell me everything I need to know about racing. Thanks!

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: I'm new =) And I need some help.   Posted Thu Jan 13, 05   5:42 PM     

Buy a 4 speed manual Tercel and learn how to drive first.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
SpyderEclipseKid

Re: I'm new =) And I need some help.   Posted Fri Jan 14, 05   4:24 PM     

Definitely make sure your a good driver and practice reflexes alot. knowing how to drive would be a plus (just kidding!)
P.S. Video games help alot!!! ;-)

How many licks on a tootsie pop to get me ****ed off that the **** thing is hard as a rock? 2,284
buddhakwake
Re: I'm new =) And I need some help.   Posted Sat Jan 15, 05   9:24 AM     

Rx otary has a point, if you don't have much experience, you should start off with something that is easy and will stand up to abuse like the tercel. Then, if you are a honda person, move up to a crx or a base model civic and have fun fixing it up. Learn as much as you can about the mechanics of your car (steve parker, the car nut on time warner channel ten and 920 am sunday mornings, recommended the road and track illustrated automotive dictionary by john dinkel to start). and remember that if you really want to be a racer and not a ricer then your car should never look better than it runs because the car's gotta be fast first.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
talljosh85
Re: I'm new =) And I need some help.   Posted Sat Jan 15, 05   12:34 PM     

Learn to drive first. Racing is the last thing a new driver should be doing. Seriously. If you're new and want to get a head start, there are high performance driving schools like Bob Bondurant's or Skip Barber's where you can learn how to handle a car in emergency situations and better control one at high speeds. For a new driver, this would be best. Also, a first car, cheap, manual, and fwd is not a bad way to go, although awd has its advantages. Also, good ABS (anti lock brakes) are a must for a new driver. One could not write down everything that needs to be known about racing, this isn't a history class full of memorization and resucitation, it is much, much more. Oh, yes, airbags are also a good thing to have. So, a late model, manual transmission, low horsepower, front wheel driver that is cheap, has airbags and abs. You're looking at civics, 4 cylinder accords, newer corollas, and the like. That would be my suggestion for a new driver interested in racing. Or a Mazda Miata, although it is rear wheel drive, and not as safe in many respects, it would be a great car to learn on, plus they're pretty gutless for the most part.

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
hurstolds85
Re: I'm new =) And I need some help.   Posted Mon Jan 17, 05   2:15 PM     

First get a ford pinto and learn how to race something not fast. Go to a local drag strip on a test and tune night and familiarize yourself with lights, acceleration, burnouts ( if possible), without having to worry about po-po's, other traffic, small children and various small mammals.

82 olds 4dr daily driver / import killer
85 olds 2dr project 350 now then 403 then 455
87 ford thunderbird turbo coupe
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: I'm new =) And I need some help.   Posted Mon Jan 17, 05   2:47 PM     

A 1st gen Integra or Legend would do the trick, although I had a 93 Legend, and the bastard diddnt wanna stop, leading to its ultimate demise.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"