This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 7597

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
MuscleCarGuy
Import Attitude   Posted Wed Dec 1, 04   6:45 PM     

What is it with everyone that owns an import. Does the attitude come with the car? I don't understand. Everyone that has an import and a muffler thinks their car is bad ass. Maube it's just bad where I live. There's a guy with a completely stock Honda Prelude that tried to race a 1966 Hemi Cuda that had too much blower to cover with a hood. What a dumbass. Can someone explain the import attitude to me?

talljosh85
Re: Import Attitude   Posted Thu Dec 2, 04   12:04 AM     

Can't explain it, I can just throw ideas. The slow and ridiculous didn't help, but neither did a lot of the media coverage of the so-called import scene. There was too much focus on stupid shit like graphics and body kits, big wheels and cat back exhaust systems at the onset so it was like taking a big step back at the starting line. Its getting better, but its a long process and there will always be stupid people in whatever you're into. As far as the attitude goes, there are a lot of people out there that are convinced they're bad asses (or so insecure they need to act this way), and they see a "cool" car as another way to promote this bad ass image. As far as going after cars way, way faster then your econo box puller could hope to beat, well, a lot of that is just ignorance. Some people are convinced that if its a push rod, carburated, pre OBD I anything then its bound to be slow. They can't see past the hype of DOHC, turbochargers and relatively light weight. Many people are so sure that because it make 100hp/L that its faster then something making 60hp/L, even if their high output honda has only 1.6L to the 5L+ belonging to the guy in next lane. Torque is also ignored a lot, as is power band, fwd vs rwd vs awd, gearing, traction, and so many other factors. Spending $400 for a cat back and a couple hp is not a bargain, its a joke. Sorry to ramble on about this, but I was trying to figure out answers. Oh yeah, I drive an import, sporting light weight, rwd, turbochargers and all of 1.3L of displacement. So we're not all hopeless. Josh

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
buddhakwake
Re: Import Attitude   Posted Thu Dec 2, 04   12:07 PM     

Not to defend the idiots who make import drivers like myself look bad purely by association, but there are plenty of people who drive "domestics" that are p.o.s.es and have lots of attitude too. They just aren't as recognizable because the "style over substance" attitude that reigns in this day and age points the vast majority of people with attitudes to painted and sculpted imports. Now the guy with the prelude was a stereotypically bad case, but I have seen people who thought that their stock ford explorer would go up against almost anything and win (I even had a friend who tried that against my stock 1989 mr2 with 1.6L and learned differently). So it's people on both sides who are just too insecure to keep their mouths shut when they should. Frankly I'd like to give them all a nice big kick in the pants for it.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
FastFiveO
Re: Import Attitude   Posted Fri Dec 3, 04   2:40 AM     

i dunno but these pics (in url's) might help us explain some of it... to bad it wont let us post pics on here

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/389000-389999/389116_36.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/389000-389999/389116_53.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/389000-389999/389116_177.jpg

so with that in mine remember this
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/389000-389999/389116_40.jpg

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
buddhakwake
Re: Import Attitude   Posted Sat Dec 4, 04   7:53 AM     

I just hope you can remember that not everyone who drives an import is like that, I can't stand all that garbage, but I drive imports.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Import Attitude   Posted Sat Dec 4, 04   6:23 PM     

With that token, we can claim that the only people who drive muscle cars are inbred retards who live in trailer trash communities, and have fun boning they're daddies sister (That thing got a hemi??) The finger can point both ways.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
MuscleCarGuy
Re: Import Attitude   Posted Sat Dec 4, 04   6:54 PM     

HAHA. .. . . Awesome, what is up with everyone and this bad ass image..... and whats up your ass? I know the attitude swings both ways but the muscle car guys actually have something to brag about. .

buddhakwake
Re: Import Attitude   Posted Sun Dec 5, 04   7:49 AM     

I've wondered the same thing about Rx. But before you go saying "but the muscle car guys actually have something to brag about" you should realize that my import is something to brag about. It's brand new, it's got two moon roofs, it's got a six cd changer, gets 30+ mpg on the freeway and 20 mpg around town when I lead foot it, and it'll lay rubber through first gear without feathering the clutch and even put down rubber in second and third gears. That's not bad for only one oem upgrade of a TRD exhaust. Not to mention it'll handle much better at the track than most muscle cars. Don't get me wrong, I love the thrill of a quarter mile as much as any person who's ever gotten behind the wheel, but there is more to fast cars than just that. And before you think I'm a "ricer" take a look at my car and see that I have none of that junk plastered on the outside, no wings, no neon, and I don't believe in Nos until you've squeezed everything out of your engine that you possibly can (and even then I wouldn't put it on one of my cars unless I was racing professionally at tracks against other cars with it), and if things had gone the way I wanted them I'd be driving a 1965 mustang rather than my parents paying 3500 bucks more for the camry they paid half of when I graduated from high school (yeah that's right I paid for half of my 13,000 dollar first car) because the old el camino my dad was letting me drive burned oil, tranny fluid, and wouldn't pass smog anymore. But hey, that's the way life goes right?

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Import Attitude   Posted Sun Dec 5, 04   8:32 AM     

Ive got nothing up my ass, I jsut dont liek people who are ignorant. To say that all people who own a Honda are slow and stupid is an ignorant comment. To say that Hondas are slow and all that matters is "ower Power POWER!!", and that it cant be made in an import, is an ignorant statement.

Samir "Office Space"
buddhakwake
Re: Import Attitude   Posted Sun Dec 5, 04   9:13 AM     

In case you didn't read past the beginning of my post, I agree with you, but the problem is better than 50% of your posts are completely negative, in fact I remeber you calling me dumb and saying I didn't know what I was talking aobut with the civic si, when I did know what I was talking about and we were talking about different model years, so it seems like you have a bug up your butt. If you would just present things without insulting people (until they insult you back) then no one would accuse you of having something up your ass. Hell, if everybody would be less negative (imports suck, no domestics suck, no you suck, no you suck) and more constructive in what they say, then this would be a much better forum overall. And that goes for you too musclecarguy, if you (and others like you) didn't have the attitude that all imports suck then just maybe the import drivers would stop trying to prove they have the bigger dicks by showing off their wings and crappy exhausts and the car world would be a happier place.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Import Attitude   Posted Sun Dec 5, 04   3:38 PM     

The whole civic Si thing was a mistake on your part, but it can be translated both ways. I dont like people bashing either embodiement of car whether it be import or domestic, but i do prefer an import, and to some im instantly stupid and cant read past the 1st grade level.

Samir "Office Space"
MuscleCarGuy
Re: Import Attitude   Posted Sun Dec 5, 04   7:48 PM     

Nobody said that people who own hondas are slow and stupid. Where'd that come from? I was just making a reference to one dumbass in my town. As for imports, I'm not bashing them, i'd own one. I'd love to have an RX-8 or a hatchback v-tech civic, or a nissan skyline. I'm just downing the attitude everyone has. It swings both ways, for domestics or imports, i just personally know more people with imports that have that attitude. It's shit. as to which is better, domestic or import? its all a matter of how much money you are willing to spend on the car and performance parts as to which would win. If you buy an SVT Cobra and spend 30,000 on the car alone, and you go buy a 10,000 civic and put 20,000 in the motor. The civic will probably dominate the cobra. Its all a matter of cash flow.

talljosh85
Re: Import Attitude   Posted Mon Dec 6, 04   3:25 PM     

A lot of the responses, mine included, were heavily influenced by your first statement: "What is it with everyone that owns an import. Does the attitude come with the car?". If you had said some guys, or ricers, then this wouldn't have been what it is, but by making such a massive generalization you kinda make yourself look like an ass. I'm not saying you are, but those first two sentences reflected poorly on you, and pissed off people, such as myself, because I drive an import. Josh

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
MuscleCarGuy
Re: Import Attitude   Posted Mon Dec 6, 04   4:26 PM     

Okay fuck you... Imports fuckin suck..... is this what you are wanting me to say? not gonna happen. i dont really like imports that much, i think its pointless to waste thousands of dollars souping up a 4 cylinder when you can get better 1/4 mile times out of high powered v-8s for less money. Most import guys do have that shitty ass attitude. . . I was just wondering why most guys with a honda, a cat-back exhaust system, and a goofy ass wing think theyre hot shit. Simple Question simple answer. no need for you to defend your import. . . If you dont fall into this category then disreguard this post. If you dont express the import attitude then stop defending the dumbasses that make you look bad. Damn.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Import Attitude   Posted Mon Dec 6, 04   9:38 PM     

My point exactly.

Samir "Office Space"
Pages in this thread: (1) 2