This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 13820

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
NotoriouS187
Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Sun Oct 31, 04   4:36 PM     

My automatic well shift faster than any human can do it with there hands..WANNA RACE?

FastFiveO
Re: Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Sun Oct 31, 04   9:54 PM     

dont get to cocky there is ppl that can shift way faster then a auto. but a auto is a start , manuals drop .001 sec off your time or something like that. but yeah autos are good for drag but alot of street racing not to much. yeah i got a auto in my cars but i love me a manual

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
buddhakwake
Re: Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Mon Nov 1, 04   3:55 PM     

yeah, autos are generally faster shifting, but you lose torque, they are heavier, more expensive to fix, and you don't have then control on curves or down hills that you do with a manual (unless you are talking about a top of the line tranny from someone like ferrari or mercedes or other formula 1 sponsor). plus in most cases autos make the average driver worse (less attentive and lazier), but please don't think I am refering to you as I don't know anything about you.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
FastFiveO
Re: Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Mon Nov 1, 04   4:36 PM     

are you talking about semi auto trans.

NotoriouS187
Re: Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Thu Nov 4, 04   10:45 AM     

bro i dont wanna get cocky but i got a chip in my car that shifts so fast but i lose top end and my car doesnt lose horse power for anything it gained horsepower..

FastFiveO
Re: Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Thu Nov 4, 04   11:35 AM     

all im saying is there is ppl out there that can shift fast as hell not to mention they can adjust there rps so dont try n guarentss youd win

FastFiveO
Re: Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Thu Nov 4, 04   11:35 AM     

all im saying is there is ppl out there that can shift fast as hell not to mention they can adjust there rps so dont try n guarentss youd win

DBLDREW
Re: Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Thu Nov 4, 04   2:16 PM     

If your automatic trans is using any type of torque converter you are losing more horsepower to the wheels then if you were using a manual trans. Torque converters never fully lock up, while a clutch will. I’ll give you an example (the numbers I’m provided are only to illustrate my point the actual amount of slippage will vary depending on your setup)

For an auto trans if your motor is spinning at 6000 RPM your input shaft going into the trans will only be spinning at 5900RPM due to the torque converter slipping.

Now for a manual trans if the engine is spinning at 6000RPM the input shaft will also be spinning at 6000RPM no slippage means more power gets to the tires. This is only if the clutch is strong enough NOT to slip under full power. If you use any aftermarket-racing clutch you will have no problem.

89 Mustang 11.86 @ 118mph
RedMafia318i

Re: Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Thu Nov 4, 04   2:24 PM     

If you don't have Stick shift, then you aren't a "Street Racer". But I have stick, and I am not one either. But hey, when I get the money I will try my best. But in Illinois there much of that going on :-\. Once I get a job I will start to supe up my BMW.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Thu Nov 4, 04   5:08 PM     

No, you dont need a stickshift to be a "streetracer". Many Supra owners out there have autos, and they actually are a smidge faster then their manual counterparts.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
NotoriouS187
Re: Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Fri Nov 5, 04   5:23 PM     

bro i love stickshifts but people say its more money to fix...it might be in some ways...people that have stickshift buy a new clutch like every year...when you sell a stickshift know one wants to buy it...and you said if you dont got a stickshift you arent a real street racer?....hahaha bro lets race and ill show you want shiftting is all about with my automatic...

NotoriouS187
Re: Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Fri Nov 5, 04   5:25 PM     

and this chip is set for the best rpm's for raceing....now wanna race? ill run you like a hot cake..my car is all 1/4 mile drag

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Fri Nov 5, 04   5:36 PM     

Apparently you diddn't read what i had said, and I dont give a shit about your "chip being at the best setting for racing". You smoke all you want, I'll just sit and laugh at you some more.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
NotoriouS187
Re: Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Fri Nov 5, 04   5:36 PM     

every thing you say is true bro..everyone one else are just bullsh*ters like me lol

NotoriouS187
Re: Automatic or Stickshift   Posted Fri Nov 5, 04   5:38 PM     

i wasent even talking to you...and what do you drive? 1987 ford country squire?

Pages in this thread: (1) 2