This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 36793

Pages in this thread: 1 2 3 (4) 5  
BadAssDodge

Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sun Nov 21, 04   11:56 PM     

I would get a Mopar 500 c.i. 505 hp engine, about 8 g's, and drop it in my '68 Dart, use the other 2 g's on tires, suspention, tranny, etc.

Faster & More Furious
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Mon Nov 22, 04   11:05 AM     

If someone were to really swap a Supra motor into an Rx7...thats just plain treason.... As for the K series swap, thats more logical.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
evopanop
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Mon Nov 22, 04   11:35 AM     

SP Engineering's Supra-7: http://www.sp-power.com/projectcar_supra7.htm

[External Image Removed]
BadAssDodge

Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Wed Nov 24, 04   12:46 AM     

its kinda sad, no doubt about it, it makes a lot of power, but the main reason to get an RX-7 is for the Rotary.... I know id never take out a 440 or a Hemi and swap in a Rat motor

Faster & More Furious
evopanop
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Wed Nov 24, 04   1:46 PM     

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you. I don't believe it's sad at all. The Supra's engine is a lot more stable, reliable, and proven than the RX-7's rotary engine. I'd say, that alone, definitely justifies the swap. It'd be a lot nicer if the 2JZ had an aluminum block, but that's beside the point.

The reason you buy an RX-7 is not for a rotary engine. At least, I don't believe so. The only reason I'd buy an RX-7, and the reason I AM considering buying an RX-7, is because they are, in my opinion, very good looking and handle very well. IMO, the rotary engine is the only downside of the RX-7. But, of course, this is all IMO.

Edit: Sry, had to fix some spelling mistakes.

[External Image Removed]

Edited by evopanop (Wed Nov 24, 04   1:47 PM)

talljosh85
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Wed Nov 24, 04   2:52 PM     

The 2jzgte is a more reliable motor, and can make power a lot easier, but, for less money you can make equivalent power with a 20b, stick with the rotary, get a lighter engine and you won't be the second person to do it (a benefit when it comes time to make the damn thing run). The FD does drive and handle well, better then the Supra, imo, but the Supra is by no means a slouch, and despite the weight, it feels nimble and tracks great around turns. Just speaking from my experience with both. Josh

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
evopanop
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Wed Nov 24, 04   3:16 PM     

Excellent critique, Josh. I'd have to agree with you on every point, except I don't particularly think that going with a 20B is worth the money in any way. Rotary engines have proven to be unreliable, that's all, IMO. I just think the money could be better spent elsewhere. *shrug*

[External Image Removed]
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Wed Nov 24, 04   4:43 PM     

Rx7 wont handle as well if you were to swap in a 2JZ. Its going to be much heavier in the front, and there goes your advantage of 50/50 weight distribution. Rotaries havent proven to be unreliable, theyve proven that your average driver doesnt do regular maintenance.

Samir "Office Space"
MuscleCarGuy
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Wed Dec 1, 04   6:54 PM     

Three things. Late 70's F150 with the ford 9in. rearend. 429 Cobra Jet. Supercharger. It would eat Acuras and shit Hondas.

buddhakwake
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Thu Dec 2, 04   12:01 PM     

And that can be done for 10 grand or less (including buying the truck?)? Hmmm, when I get my tC paid off I may have to look into that if that's the case. I drive Imports because I don't have the time or the space to have a car that requires tinkering right now, but once I have a garage that's big enough then I'll make the time.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
FastFiveO
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Fri Dec 3, 04   2:45 AM     

just becuse its a domestic doesnt mean it needs "tinkering" there is such thing as having a domestic without moding it. lately with family and friends.. the ppl with the import been having the problems and the ppl with the domestics are doing tuning.
its sad.

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
buddhakwake
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sat Dec 4, 04   7:57 AM     

What I meant by tinkering was that I wished I had something from the great muscle era of cars, but right now it's easier for me to have a brand new import because it takes up less of my time in maintenance and such, and frankly I'm still quite skeptical of new "domestics" because I feel that the only good things ford and gm make lately are trucks. But again, that's only my opinion from based on what I see with people I know.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sat Dec 4, 04   8:50 AM     

Ford is slowly going outta business, GO TOYOTA!. Chevy and Dodge are trying to keep up by attempting to make counterparts of the sport compacts.

Samir "Office Space"
buddhakwake
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sat Dec 4, 04   9:48 AM     

Dodge isn't even a "domestic" anymore, they are owned by daimler. I think it's kinda sad that the "domestics" aren't as good as they could be, but that's what happens when a company refuses to make the necessary changes to keep their products at high quality levels (reliability, gas mileage, price for features and fit and finish). As far as ford going out of business, that's something that people say about lots of companies and it's usually wrong. Let's hope they're wrong this time too because at least with the look of the new mustang and the whole GT ford is finally starting to get some things right again.

MuscleCarGuy
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sat Dec 4, 04   5:53 PM     

Rx_otary_Se7en, how do you figure that Ford is slowly going under? Are you forgetting that the Ford Motor Company not only owns the name Ford but also mass produces Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Land Rover? Im pretty sure there are extremely popular cars in each surname's lineup (does Mazda RX-7 ring a bell?) and they aren't going anywhere. Plus Ford has had the best selling sports car, compact pickup, and full size pickup for like the past 13 years running. Not to metion several Vehicle of the Year awards. Think before you post. Ford isn't going anywhere.

Pages in this thread: 1 2 3 (4) 5