This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 36793

Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3) 4 5  
roy
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Fri Nov 19, 04   8:02 AM     

I'd get an EK civic hatch($4000-$6000) and drop a RSX-TypeS motor and transmission(about $5000) and with that set up alone you'd be running low twelves for sure. I love the civic hatch , I have a 99'.

roy
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Fri Nov 19, 04   8:20 AM     

man power is power no matter how you get it. Have you ever thought about putting nitrous on your car?.......Dont lie you know you have. And stop trippin over domestic are better than imports that stupid because they are both types of cars that can be moded up but in the end it come down to wich car is faster and the truth is some domestics are faster tha imports and some imports are faster than domestics.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Fri Nov 19, 04   5:24 PM     

I hate when people get mad about domestic beign better then import and vice versa. People who compare imports to domestics is like comparing a supra to a civic, they arent in the same class. Domestics are without a doubt better for straight out dragging, but if you plan on hitting a turn you come see me and my integra.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
buddhakwake
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sat Nov 20, 04   2:28 PM     

Heavy? since when is 2300 pounds stock heavy? even a porsche carrera 911 weighs half a ton more, and the mcclaren f1 still weighs 200 pounds more, so how is it heavy?

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
buddhakwake
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sat Nov 20, 04   2:31 PM     

yeah, but the difference is that the 20b motor is then tuned and you aren't going ot get much more out of it, but the ls1 he's talking about isn't tuned and still has quite a bit more to be squeezed out of it, so I think that's the better choice because it can still go much faster.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sat Nov 20, 04   2:53 PM     

Then why stop at an LS1, why not just swap in a 911 Carrera Turbo motor in it?

Samir "Office Space"
evopanop
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sat Nov 20, 04   3:16 PM     

Because a 911 Carrera motor, 3.6L H6, is not nearly as "tune-able" as an LS1. I've seen fully-tuned 911 motors reach maybe 900 HP. Sure, that's a lot, but nothing compared to what an LS1 can reach. An LS1 using the C5R block, with a 4.250" Stroke has a displacement of 7.45L (454ci), coupled with a twin-turbo kit utilizing Garrett T-76GTS turbos, you have a maximum potential of approximately 3,000 horsepower. In the end, the only thing that matters is what you're going for, what you're starting with, and what you can afford. Because, really, in the end, displacement IS king.

Edit: Also forgot to point out that Porsche engines are ridiculously expensive, and hard to get a hold of. LS1 engines are plentiful, and cheap. :-)

Another edit: I'd also like to point out that you can't really compare an LS1 and a 20B rotary, because you can LEGALLY put an LS1 into a lot of cars, whereas you can't *legally* put a 20B into ANYTHING here in America, because they were never brought here in any cars. You'd never get past registration and/or inspection.

[External Image Removed]

Edited by evopanop (Sat Nov 20, 04   3:20 PM)

buddhakwake
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sat Nov 20, 04   3:25 PM     

they never brought the 20b here, but that's what california's special vehicle permits are for. It just sucks that they only allow 500 a year.

evopanop
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sat Nov 20, 04   3:30 PM     

Sorry, completely forgot about the SVP. Too bad those get used up REAL quick, lol. :-P

Speaking of swaps, though, my friend just bought a late 80's Civic Hatch for his girlfriend, and swapped a B16 into it. He's got some head work done to it, he swapped in a 5-speed, and it's currently running open headers. It's a pretty cool little ride. It's not super fast or anything, but it's fun to drive, ridiculously loud, and fairly quick. The whole thing cost him next to nothing, too, lol.

[External Image Removed]
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sat Nov 20, 04   4:39 PM     

How would anybody know about you swapping your motor out, all you have to do is smog the damn thing. And my whole point about the carrera motor is that just because it is bigger and more powerful, there is always a better motor, and that the whole thing isnt very practical. If your gonna buy a rotary, stick with a rotary, and so on with Hondas and such. I mean, why bother spending all that money on an Rx7 shell when you can buy a CRX and put an LS1 in it? You can technically do anything with the right amout of money.

Samir "Office Space"
buddhakwake
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sun Nov 21, 04   9:13 PM     

maybe because the rx-7 was designed as front engine rear wheel drive as opposed to the crx which was front engine front wheel drive. easier for the ls1 engine which was also designed for front engine rear wheel drive to go in there.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sun Nov 21, 04   9:21 PM     

Easier but not impossible.

Samir "Office Space"
buddhakwake
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sun Nov 21, 04   10:55 PM     

this is all just pointless, maybe he just likes the look of the rx-7 but likes chevy engines, who knows, it's just his preference man. I started this thread with the hope that people wouldn't argue about their ideas, just realize that there are some strange and creative things to do with cars. It seems like this site is more about who's "right" (opinion) and who's "wrong" (more opinions) than it is about sharing actual knowledge about cars and racing. there is no real right or wrong as long as it doesn't involve a Yugo.

evopanop
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sun Nov 21, 04   11:10 PM     

lol Amen to that!

Some other interesting swaps that I find very cool are the K24 series Honda engines into the RSX, Civic SI, and regular Civic. Sure would make for one heck of a sleeper.

Another very cool swap was that Supra-7. A Supra engine swapped into an RX-7. Oh, that reminds of that swap that I saw where some guy swapped a SR20DET into a RX-7. Now that was cool.

Anyway, lots of swap ideas, that's for sure. All of them equally cool.

Oh, I LOVE the RB26DETT into the 240Z. Now THAT's awesome. :-D

[External Image Removed]
evopanop
Re: $10,000 dollar budget, what do you do?   Posted Sun Nov 21, 04   11:11 PM     

Oh, here's another awesome swap that you guys should check out. A Q45's VH45 4.5L V8 swapped into a 240Z and twin-turbocharged. It produces 720 HP, and they're hoping to get it to run a 9 flat, when they're all done.

http://www.zparts.com/showcase/engines/pages/q45v8z-testfit.html

[External Image Removed]
Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3) 4 5