This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 8698

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
rutiger89
New Car   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   2:26 PM     

Yo guys new here
Anyway i'm gonna buy a new car but I can't decide betwen the Audi A4 3.0
or the Mazda RX-8 231ps, 6 speed manual transmission

Men do less than they ought unless they do all they can
talljosh85
Re: New Car   Posted Sat Jul 24, 04   3:05 PM     

Well, the RX-8 will out perform the Audi, and its your money, so, I guess, what do you want to do with it?

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
rutiger89
Re: New Car   Posted Sat Jul 24, 04   3:12 PM     

well if the Mazda will outperform and is also cheaper then it will almost definately be the Mazda.
I'll go for a test drive of each tommorow

Men do less than they ought unless they do all they can
talljosh85
Re: New Car   Posted Sun Jul 25, 04   10:26 PM     

Good luck, I'm a rotary nerd so I would personally choose the RX-8, but if I had to drive in the snow a Quattro Audi might beat it out, no, wait, I'd get an Evo or WRX STi. Josh

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: New Car   Posted Wed Jul 28, 04   6:03 PM     

And in a year you can watch your STi fall apart cuz its a Subaru and in another year you can do the same with your Evo. As fast as they are, i would much rather push along in a wheel barrow then have to pay for all the crap to fix them.... but jesus theyre fast.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
talljosh85
Re: New Car   Posted Thu Jul 29, 04   5:23 PM     

Are you kidding? Subaru has great build quality and reliability. We had a 1993 Legacy that did 192,000 and was still running strong on all original hardware. My old man had an SVX, he still claims it to be the best engineered car he has ever worked on (better then Ferrari, Corvette, Supras, among other things). The Evo has yet to prove itself, and Mitsubishi has hit and miss reliabilty/build quality, but the 3rd gen RX-7 in my driveway is not as well built as any Subaru I've seen, period. The RX-8 is not an FD (for better or worse), but it hasn't proved itself reliable yet either, and Audi/Volkswagen are the least reliable of all German cars. Josh

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: New Car   Posted Thu Jul 29, 04   11:16 PM     

Mitsubishi hasnt had a reliable car almost ever, let alone subaru. Just because it still works doesnt mean your pops diddnt have to fix it numerous amounts of times, and even then, theres an exception to every rule. Mitsubishi turbo motors have proven themselves by giving their owners the wonderful experience of crankwalk, trasnmisson freezes, center differential self destruction, and poorly built engine brains. Subarus have a notorious reputation for being soft cars- get ina fender bender and you need to change the roof.

Samir "Office Space"
talljosh85
Re: New Car   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   1:07 PM     

Subarus have been well rated on reliability for the past like 13 years, and basically every model they make has been recommended by Consumer's Reports. We never had to fix stuff on our Legacy, and outside of blowing up the transmission on his SVX (up and down the mountain with the A/C on driving very, very fast) it never gave my dad any problems. Mitsubishi, is, as I said, hit or miss, but Subies kick a lot of ass. My first car was a 1993 Diamante, and ran great, the build quality was good, everything worked right, and it was comfortable to boot. The Legacy was indestructable and ran great at 192,000, and I really wish we still had it.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: New Car   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   4:01 PM     

I work in a junkyard, ok. Dont tell me what goes wrong and what doesnt. Not to mention that consumers reports dont mean anythign considering how they called the Ford Focus one of the best cars in the market, and yet its one of the most recalled cars in the world. You diddnt see anybody with an Impreza until the WRX came out, unless you were poor or stupid, or just diddnt care either way.

Samir "Office Space"
talljosh85
Re: New Car   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   5:18 PM     

Working in a junkyard doesn't make anybody a car expert, you might see more of this car then that one, but a blown motor isn't the only thing putting a car out of commission. The Focus was recommended because of its economy, build quality, performance, safety and reliability. Whether or not you believe in Consumer Reports is of little consequence, they are the least biased and most honest independent reviewing organization around. The test track they use for cars is a huge facility and the people running the tests know what they are doing. I know several people with N/A imprezas from the first year they were produced to now. On top of that, I know people with Foresters, Outbacks and regular Legacy's, plus SVXs. I can only name a few with WRXs, and out of all these people, their cars have run well and been very reliable. The N/A Impreza is a great econobox, especially for inclement weather. Its AWD is very hard to beat in the snow, they make decent power and torque, plus they are very economical to run. So the lawyer that has driven his standard Impreza hatchback since the mid nineties is poor and stupid? Maybe you should look at what you're saying here, and learn something about Subarus before opening up on them and why they are so terrible.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: New Car   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   6:52 PM     

The lawyer that drives a Subaru isnt a successful one if hes has to pick a Subaru over the Mercedes he should have. The Focus isnt reliable, thats why its been recalled so many times. Subarus are terrible, cant hold value for shit, and the only good thing about them is that they are AWD, you diddnt see many Subaru commercials 5 years ago did you? No, cuz nobody wanted them cuz they suck, unless you lived in the northeast, or someplace where it snows.

Samir "Office Space"
talljosh85
Re: New Car   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   9:06 PM     

I grew up in the mountains, where it does snow, and Subarus are great. The lawyer didn't drive a Benz because he has a conscience, in that he can't see screwing other people to increase his profit as a good way to live, though he wasn't poor either. The Focus isn't a honda, and a few recalls doesn't make it unreliable, it just means that Ford does not want another Firestone/Exploder or Pinto fiasco on their hands. Subarus are great cars, cheap, get out of their own way, are well built, reliable, and get good gas mileage. The AWD is just the kicker if you drive in the snow (or nasty rain for that matter). Subaru advertised 5 years ago, remember Paul Hogan (Mick Dundee) hocking the Outbacks? That was before the WRX was here (or for sure on its way for that matter). Subaru can't afford that much advertising because its a tiny auto company owned by a huge industrial one (Fuji Heavy Industries). And going off your logic, why don't you see Ferrari or Lamborghini ads? Not now or five years ago, because they don't have to. Both companies sell what they make without needing to bombard the consumer. Subaru is similar; in that it has what has been a largely niche market for the past 20 years, but has just recently been going towards the mainstream, first with the Outback, then the Forester and now the WRX. And with the auto market not doing so hot recently (remember the 0% financing offered by manufacturers), it has become harder and harder to sell new cars (as evidenced by the makeovers most models recieve more and more frequently). So, to keep up with the growing competition, to sell its cars towards the mainstream, and to expand from its niche, Subaru has started advertising now more then ever before, and not just because the cars are now fast, but because it is necessary for their survival.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: New Car   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   10:15 PM     

Theres a difference though; Ferrari and Lambo are high priced exotic cars, so advertizing would be kind of ridiculous "Now starting at just under 100 thousand dollars". Subs are great, but i dotn trust them as far as reliability goes, and thats just me.

Samir "Office Space"
talljosh85
Re: New Car   Posted Sat Jul 31, 04   11:21 AM     

I was just making a point about Subaru ads, that is why I brought in Lamborghini and Ferrari, and although you might not trust them, myself and many people I know have had only good experiences with all types of Subarus, and Consumer Reports has recommended every model they make for the past 10 years or so.

Jonerz
Re: New Car   Posted Sat Jul 31, 04   8:04 PM     

Guys,
I am litterally minutes new to the club/site err whatever but dudes, I gotta tell ya, your argument is stupid (A because you put down the Porsche, Audi Volkswagen, Bentley Lambourgini etc. group) neither of you are going to convince one another, your clearly two rice rocket fans who don't see eye too eye!!

Pages in this thread: (1) 2