This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 10736

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
SubaLegRacer

New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Tue Jul 20, 04   4:54 PM     

Sup, all. New to the CVSR.net forum. I visit the western coast quite often, so I figured I'd fit right in. Maybe some of ya'll have seen me, maybe not. I'm that guy that races really uncommon cars. Like the one I have. I've decided to test out a Subura this year. Not just any Subaru.. But a 1994 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon Turbo Edition. It's old, and will get the works done.. once I figure out some Subaru dealerships around my area. I use the internet quite often, so if ya'll know any performance subaru sites, let me know. Basically, this car is crap. The engine has a steady leak all around the oil pan, gaskets are stuck, one does not lift. Ultimately a new engine. I'm thinking turbo edition still... Any other ideas on that, let me know. As of right now, stock, the subaru runs saddly, but it's got some dignity on it.. it kicks the hell out of civics (stock, of course) and mazdas.
Also, would the fact that it's AWD hold back on performance? Many of you will not take me seriously, but I hope the common writers will lend a hand or two in this 'project'... I know somewhat what I am doing, seeing as last year, I fixed and maxxed a '88 VW Golf GL... Anyways, I'm out for now.

Racer Of The Unknown
talljosh85
Re: New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Wed Jul 21, 04   12:35 AM     

well, you should look for a forum regarding that car, probably a european or australian one. as far as I know, turbo wagons were not sold (or extremely uncommon) in the US as 1994 models. what motor does it have ? EJ20? EJ22? if so (or not) you could put one of these, or the EJ25, into your car with some drive train modifications and lots of work. awd is great for launching, but can hurt top speed (read: racing supras on the freeway) in that there is more friction for the motor to overcome. if the car is really a turbocharged, from the factory wagon, and legal in the US, how much do you want for it? honestly, a real turbo wagon that is registered in the States is almost priceless to subaru guys. are you sure its a 1994 or did you perhaps mistype and its a 1984? I know they are bringing turbo legacies here in the near future, but, a 1994 would be a hell of a find. oh yeah, I've got a Mazda you can race. Josh

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
SubaLegRacer

Re: New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   11:27 AM     

I read the engine barcode on the side of the spring mount ... the engine code reads EJ22T.... my understanding is that the T stands for turbo, as did the dealership i bought this car from.

Racer Of The Unknown
talljosh85
Re: New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   1:00 PM     

I'm no expert, but I do believe the T is for turbo, and the Ej22T is similar (if not) the JDM STi motor, but you really should look it up on a Suby forum, I'm not very knowledgable on the subject. Josh

uglystick
Re: New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   5:49 PM     

well lets step back a few here and ask this question: IS THERE A TURBOCHARGER UNDER THE HOOD?

that'd probably be the easiest way to find out.

jason

talljosh85
Re: New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   7:27 PM     

thats a damn good point.

SweetNeon

Re: New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   7:54 PM     

who woulda thought

SubaLegRacer

Re: New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Sun Jul 25, 04   11:18 AM     

That is a good point, but like I had stated before hand... the car is really old, and really busted. I know for a fact that the engine is missing some components and 'boot-legged' on other items, such as the starter... it has a screw driver taped to two metallic areas around the starter so you have to tap it in order to start the car.

Racer Of The Unknown
SweetNeon

Re: New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Sun Jul 25, 04   11:50 AM     

boot-legged starter, thats a new one

uglystick
Re: New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Sun Jul 25, 04   1:27 PM     

bootleg starter, is that like a dogleg gearbox? welp, if you've got your empty head under the hood enough times to "Start" the car, and got down there to reach the starter, you would be able to see the TURBO. It's round, looks kindof like a snail, and is not only attached to the EXHAUST PIPES, but also to the INTAKE MANIFOLD. It's like a really simple connect the dots exercise.

And don't act like you could just disconnect the turbo and sell it for crack money or something without affecting the entire driveability of the car.

jason

uglystick
Re: New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Sun Jul 25, 04   1:31 PM     

Actually I take that back, you could probably disconnect the turbo and attach the exhaust right to the intake, but it would affect the boost level. Might that be what happened?

Jason

SubaLegRacer

Re: New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Mon Jul 26, 04   8:38 PM     

Seems like you didn't understand me. The car does not run properly... so obviously something isn't running right and/or missing from the engine. And no, I have not seen the snail shaped TURBO you are talking about. And to clarify 'boot-legged' .. its a term used when saying somethings quickly done to bypass a problem.

Racer Of The Unknown
uglystick
Re: New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Mon Jul 26, 04   8:49 PM     

Maybe someone DID re-route the exhaust into the intake? Might that be a possibility?

jason

SweetNeon

Re: New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Mon Jul 26, 04   10:34 PM     

boot-legged is not a proper word when refering to some thing being done quickly to bypass a problem. To statesome thing that wont make a statement confuseing you mite want to refer to some thing called "Nigger Riged". with some years of experence you will learn of that term more frequently

SubaLegRacer

Re: New To The Forum; Not The Scene   Posted Tue Jul 27, 04   8:39 AM     

I wouldn't know. I don't really care. My first step is to swap out the engine for a less mileaged one anyways.

Racer Of The Unknown
Pages in this thread: (1) 2