This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 2648

Lonewolf
Fading, streaked paint- help!   Posted Wed Jun 30, 04   7:17 AM     

Hello~
I have a red 96' Jetta that I've been working on for the past few months. My main problem is that my parents (who had the car before me) put some kind of product on the car that was supposed to restore the finish... and they ended up ruining it in the process. For the past year, my car's finish has gradually gotten worse, and now the paint finish is not only very dull, but it is horribly streaked. I've tried Turtle Wax's "Our Finest Wax"... it helps for the first two weeks or so and then the car goes back to looking faded and streaked. What are my options? I'm a college student, so my funds are fairly low.

large_filipino

Re: Fading, streaked paint- help!   Posted Mon Jul 5, 04   12:05 AM     

Compound the hell out of it then wax again. Sometimes the old ways are the sure ways! Use a relatively coarse compound to get all that fading out of your way.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Fading, streaked paint- help!   Posted Mon Jul 5, 04   2:16 AM     

I used a gdo compund and it turned white, just plain ass white. Car isnt a respray either.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
LethalToy

Re: Fading, streaked paint- help!   Posted Sun Jul 18, 04   10:18 AM     

medium (Meguiars) cut wax
fine (Meguiars) cut wax
swirl remover (Meguiars)
polish (Meguiars)
sealer (Meguiars)

Use a random orbital polisher with variable rpm and change the pad after every use.

Should take you about 10 hours and last for almost a year unless your near the coast. Cut that time down by 2/3rds.

Or say fuck it and wipe er down with some DOT3 brake fluid.

Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.
[External Image Removed]
ms692
Re: Fading, streaked paint- help!   Posted Tue Jul 20, 04   6:41 AM     

U R A CHEAP JIPO THEN I USE THE EXPENSIVE STUFF DOT4 U TRAMP