This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 11797

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
dragracer445
HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Thu Apr 29, 04   5:01 PM     

I need advice on a first car...i am very confused!

-*- I love Drag Racing-*-
SuperKid
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Fri Apr 30, 04   5:01 PM     

What do you want to do? If you want to autoX, buy a civic or something similar. If you want to drag, buy a muscle car. Also, if you don't have much knowledge on building cars, go with a muscle car. They're cheap, easy to make power, don't require much knowledge or skill to build (depending on how much you build it) , and you can usually sell them for a higher price than what you paid.

"Genius is one-percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration." - Thomas A. Edison

Play Gang Wars!
http://www.gang-wars.com/index.html?load=1055341
SweetNeon

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Fri Apr 30, 04   5:23 PM     

wow your a real superkid arnt ya?

SuperKid
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Fri Apr 30, 04   7:56 PM     

Excuse me for giving an opinion to his question, O great one. ::rolls eyes::

"Genius is one-percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration." - Thomas A. Edison

Play Gang Wars!
talljosh85
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Fri Apr 30, 04   8:31 PM     

It really depends on money, what you want to do with it skill (both mechanical and driving). Since its your first car, I suggest something with good brakes, airbags and not too much hp. How long have you been driving? Where do you live? What kind of weather? A sports car generally isn't the best first car, but there are some out there that aren't too fast and would be okay for you. Well, umm, more info? Remember purchase price isn't the only thing to worry about, you also have insurance, registration, fuel, maintainence, repairs and whatever other expenses you may incur (ie speeding tickets). Just be prepared. I mean, there are so many choices, you could go for a 240sx, a MK III Supra, FC RX-7, Mustang GT, Camaro (be careful, LS1 powered F bodies are often very fast stock, and the faster the car, the easier it is to kill yourself and others), Integra GSR, Impreza 2.5RS, Civic Si, CRX Si, Miata, Celica, M3, Datsun 510, 300zx, MR2, so many different choices, really I need more infor before giving you better advice.

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Fri Apr 30, 04   9:33 PM     

The Impreza 2.5 RS is a piece of shit, literally. IF you want a nice first car i suggest either a light Miata, or an Acura Legend Coupe, just make sure you keep your brake system in prime condition in the legend, cuz its a wee bit on the heavy side, may even want to upgrade.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
talljosh85
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Sat May 1, 04   2:37 AM     

You don't like the 2.5RS? Why? Its not to heavy, has a decent motor (more torque then most hondas) AWD, looks nice, is reliable, and you can buy a used one at a decent price, in either the newer body style or the older (2 door) type. I don't think an Acura Legend would be good if one was interested in racing, just a daily driver however, it would be a good car.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Sat May 1, 04   12:21 PM     

The Legend isnt good for racing because nobody makes parts for it. The only thing i ever foudn for mine was an exhaust kit, an intake, and a turbo kit. The legend is good stock for racing 80% of cars on the street because most of them are ricers to begin with, and the legend was fast enough to beat your average ricey civic, accord etc....

Samir "Office Space"
talljosh85
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Sat May 1, 04   1:28 PM     

If the car won't run 13s quarters, it shouldn't be racing. Sorry, but thats what LS1 F bodies, TT Supras, TT RX-7s, Later Cobras, ZR-1 Vettes and new M3s run (along with many other cars), and if you want to keep up with them, you will need to consistently run in 13s. To beat lightly modded versions of these cars, consistent 12s are a must. BPU Supras haul ass, same with RX-7s and most of the other cars with a little squeeze. Not to dis the Legend, but its not a sports car and not a great car for racing. FWD, heavy, limited parts (as you said) do not equate for a high performance car, despite being well built, good looking and reliable. Just my opinion on the matter, if you really want to race, RWD or AWD is a must, FWD has done it, but its harder to launch, requires more power and thus more work.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Sat May 1, 04   8:24 PM     

Thats why i said its good to race against 80% of cars that he would want to race; becuase most fo them are ricers to begin with. I presonally beat a non turbo supra in my legend as well as integras, civics(Si and non Si), and any other honda/acura you can think of bsides the obviosu S2000 and NSX. I think its almost certain that it cant beat whatever you mentioned, so why why anyone try to unless its built? Thats like trying to race a quarter against an STi in an accord 4 door.

Samir "Office Space"
talljosh85
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Sun May 2, 04   3:20 PM     

If you want a car to race, just beating 80% of the cars isn't going to do. A Legend would get smoked by the cars I listed, and I don't know where you race, but in Ontario (SoCal) there are a damn lot of cars faster then the Legend. I'm not doubting you beat those cars, but a turbo civic would probably walk all over a Legend with some bolt ons, and an LT1 F Body would beat up on the Legend, much less an LS1. As for Hondas and their variants; the Integra Type R runs 14s stock, and Civic hatchies with upgraded motors (well modded B16s, B18s, B20s(though not as common),and H22s) and weight reduction don't seem to have a problem running 13s, and they are pretty common in SoCal, plus newer Accord V6s with the manual tranny. So basically, if you showed up in the Legend at the races, you would manage to beat some of the cars racing, but not any of the well modded civics, much less the MR2s, Supras (MKIII and MKIV Turbos), FD RX-7s, Turbo IIs, WRXs, Lancer Evos, LS1 and LT1 F Bodies, Fox body mustangs with decent motors, GT Mustangs that are running well (even less bottle fed ones), NSXs, S2000s, 3kGT VR4s, Stealth R/Ts, GSX and GST Eclipses (plus their variants), 350Z, G35, Silvia conversions, Muscle cars of every sort, C5 Corvettes, many C4 Corvettes, 300ZX TT, Celica GTS', IS300s, GS 300s, GS 400s, GS 430s, M3s, 330ci, the list really goes on. Plus straight line isn't the only thing that matters in a sports car. Brakes, handling reliability, modability and looks come into play as well. And believe it or not, some people do try to race a WRX STi with a four door Accord, often with all their friends in the car at the same time.

BlownGTP

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Sun May 2, 04   5:43 PM     

Oh man, WTF???? I can't believe what this board has become.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT! http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
SuperKid
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Sun May 2, 04   8:34 PM     

In reply to:

... I can't believe what this board has become.

Which is what? If you don't like the way things are, do something to change it. Don't just complain about it.

Play Gang Wars!
dragracer445
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Mon May 3, 04   6:30 PM     

Well i can't really drive yet!!! but give me a month or two and i will have a permit and my dad want to figure it out so i can get used to it. and i live in colorado. Someone suggested a all terrain vehicle. Like a blazer or a small truck. But i don't know. Also i don't know if i want to race anything right off the bat. I think im gonna wait till i have some driving time under my belt. so this necessarily isn't for racing. and also what might some of this cost. cause my parents are gonna buy my first car and don't want it to be tooooooo expencive!

dragracer445
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!   Posted Mon May 3, 04   6:45 PM     

No offence SuperKid but im a chick lol not a him!! just thought i would clarify!

Pages in this thread: (1) 2