This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 3076

UCLA1992
Looking for "The Scene"   Posted Fri Mar 5, 04   6:54 PM     

Hello all,
I'm an LA based documentary film/tv producer and am considering shooting a film on the southern California street racing scene. I've done a bit of research but haven't been able to figure out where to go check out the action, meet some people, and get a sense of what's going on. I'd love to know where the biggest, most competetive races are going on and who the top drivers are. If anyone wants to help out, I'd love to hear from you. I know a lot of this is kept secret to avoid run-ins with Johnny Law, so if you'd prefer not to post for all to see, send me a private message. Thanks in advance for your help.

talljosh85
Re: Looking for "The Scene"   Posted Sat Mar 6, 04   5:42 PM     

The biggest scene I've been involved with is in Ontario, just East of LA. Its no big secret, the cops know most of the tracks and the spot that everyone meets up at. I was there about a month ago while visiting home, and it was healthy, but not like during the summer. As you have probably heard the fast and the furious was not an accurate portrayal, although it did give a huge boost to the import tuning market and increase the awareness for street racing. I don't think you'll have a problem getting footage or interviews in Ontario, but since people are, of course, participating in illegal activities, some will be hesitant (to say the least) to be filmed. As far as violence goes, I've never felt threatened or unsafe in that respect at a race in Ontario, and I am by no means a threatening guy. I will be home (Redlands) over spring break and all through summer if you would like some help or guidance, as I think the street racing scene has got a bad wrap from the police and media, and hollywood has more then altered reality in its mainstreem portrayals. My email is talljosh85@hotmail.com, if you would like to get in touch with me. There do exist other scenes around SoCal, among them San Diego and Coachella Valley, but I can't help you with those. Let me know. Josh

Dave97RS
Re: Looking for "The Scene"   Posted Sun Mar 7, 04   9:17 PM     

I agree, Ontario is the best around... except the cops have been gettng harsher, specially after the law passed where they can impound cars just 4 watching. They also have been putting police lines up at the original meet up spot, so its not as easy 2 find people. but they are still healthy, ive gone 2 of the last 3 weekends. gl findin your goodies

Dave-

dragonrider87
Re: Looking for "The Scene"   Posted Wed Mar 10, 04   3:00 PM     

hey i know your interested in the cali scene but its been done take a days drive north to hermiston oregon and i can show you how the lower budget small town cars haul ass and take names on any given friday ive set up around 10 - 15 different races wich dont sound like much but 15 v8 muscle cars rolling through the center of town tends to grab the attention of the rice so they show up and call there freinds so we usually get around 25 guys all wanting to race each other and get this the cops just do there best to ignore us

if it isnt fast enough to do some thing incredibly stupid in then it's not fast enough
Cutlass

Re: Looking for "The Scene"   Posted Thu Mar 18, 04   3:35 PM     

it used to be like that out here also..give it time and a few accidents and the cops will start craking down. as for video i don't know anyone, myself included, that would want to be part of a documentry on street racing, especially after F&F 1 and 2. they gave everyone a bad image. if you do find some people that will allow you to film keep it real and don't go the F&F route.

-------------- 470 cubic inches of pissed off Oldsmobile.
Phatmatt

Re: Looking for "The Scene"   Posted Tue Mar 23, 04   5:40 PM     

no shit. I'm tired of all that fake stuff. Someone really needs to get the real street racing scene (dispite it's decline) on tape and get that out to the public. I swear to god if one more person asks me if my car has "Naws" I will kill them.

"Has your car ever exploded?!" -No

"How many times have you raced for slips?" -Zero

"Why isn't your car painted all sweet?" -Black IS sweet.

"Why do you have a car and a van that you race? Why not sell them both and buy a Supra?" -Because that's impratical, idiot. Most street racers don't have $40,000 imports with $10,000 in modifications, dispite what the movies will tell you.