This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 14537

Pages in this thread: 1 (2)  
talljosh85
Re: out with the old, in with the new?   Posted Sun Feb 29, 04   3:46 AM     

Tom, dude, whats up, its Josh with the RX-7. If you get a 240sx, you'd better do an sr20det swap before the cosmetic stuff, seriously. Your buddy was a nice enough guy, but that much $ to look good going slow is just asking to get smoked by civic Sis, GSRs, any turbo eclipse, plus all the stock sevens and turbo supras out there. I thought you wanted to put in new tranny? Your Stang was pretty quick, and in very good condition. But if you decide to do it, I'll be home this summer and more then happy to help you work on it. I've never done a Silvia conversion before, and anytime is a good time to start. If you are set on a better handling car, my vote goes with the silvia conversion or a turbo MR2, or a GSX eclipse, if you don't want to spend the $ for a Supra, Seven or even a 300zx TT or 300gt vr-4. They all handle well (within reason), have a large aftermarket following, and aren't trying to race with just FWD (which can be done, but its still inferior on a race track under the majority of situations). Well, those are my thoughts on the topic for the time, if you do go with the 240sx, call me up this summer if you need help, I'm always up for messing with cars. Good luck, I'll keep my eyes out for any good infor on the conversion (which you'll be studying of course). Take care, Josh

Metal396
Re: out with the old, in with the new?   Posted Sun Feb 29, 04   12:28 PM     

hey man long time no see. ya its time to sell the mustang, i really hardly use it at all, it just soaks up money... plus gas prices are goin crazy so thats not cool either. im pretty much set on goin 240sx, and first thing ill do to it is suspention by far. Still iffy on the SR swap cause i dont wanna have to mess with the smog issues and shit.... but i dunno, ill see when i get there lol. speaking of my freinds 240sx, he will be swapping his KA out for the SR at the end of march... probably during spring break when he will have time. his car isnt all cosmetics, ive driven it and it handles better than anything ive driven before, its pretty insane. where he may lose on the straights, he gains on the corners deffinately.

At this point ive come to the conclusion that buyin an S14 would just be too expensive.... i wont have enough money left over afterwards to work on it, or spend on other things. so ill be goin wiht a 240sx hatch or s13 coupe... whichever i find first lol. same car, less money. a tad bit lighter too.

Another thing that may hold me back from swapping to an SR20DET is the fact that i deliver pizzas.... that can pose a problem in the future maybe...

So how have you and your mean RX been doin? any recent races? whats new to it? that wouild be awsome to kick it and build up the cars this summer, then head down to cali speedway for some runs and possibly auto-X .

Cya

----------------------------------------------------
-73 Musatng 351c - 12mpg
FOR SALE
[External Image Removed]

talljosh85
Re: out with the old, in with the new?   Posted Sun Feb 29, 04   4:18 PM     

Its good to be here, it sounds like you've got a good plan ahead of you, and I look forward to smoking your friend when he gets his sr20det (hehehehehe). My car is in storage right now, as freshmen at UCD can't get parking passes. I haven't touched it since winter break, and it probably won't come out during spring break unless I end up working on it. If you aren't sure on the sr swap, go for an rb25det or spend even more money on an rb26dett, or just man up and do the sr20det. Smog sucks and always will, but if my rotary running rich as hell can pass in the same neighborhood, so can an sr20det (I hope). Enlighten me, how does delivering pizzas pose a problem in the future? gas, mileage, reliability? There are definitely runs and auto-x in the future for the car, and maybe if I ever get the skill, some amateur drifting events (because a straight body is way overrated). Well, thats it from here. Josh

Gorgoth3k1

Re: out with the old, in with the new?   Posted Sun Feb 29, 04   4:42 PM     

Handling is what you want? Theres a guy down here you should talk to... He has a 93 FoxBody 5-0 Mustang with some badass suspension stuff in it (i dont know all what exactly, but this guy also has a CHAMP car and a Ferrari)... His mustang handles better than ANY import i've ever ridden in or even ever seen... I was in this car when he took a hair-pin turnaround (weird place on N US183 to turnaround around under MOPAC)... now i've taken this turn at 50 in my grand am sliding the ENTIRE time with the tires screaming and everything, and my suspension is NOT stock for the G/A... anywho... he took this turn at around 70 or so and didnt even chirp the tires in his mustang... that thing handles like mad and is fast as hell... and i bet it would kick the pants off any sileighty's out there

i agree with Cruiser on this one man... you can get a lot more out of a fox body 5.0 and weight reduction is easy, just get a sawzall

-Daniel

-------------------------------------------------------------
"Bottles are for babies, real men get BLOWN!"

BLOWN 3800 V6 Fiero of Death
Metal396
Re: out with the old, in with the new?   Posted Sun Feb 29, 04   10:37 PM     

Like i said before, i know the benefits of getting a Foxbody mustang... but i just DONT want one right now. i want to try something different, i want new experiences.

An SR20DET will pass smog no problem, its the visual which is the problem, the engine isnt exactly legal, u said it urself when we were racing haha. i dont wanna have to deal with bribing and/or paying fines for having it.... same deal with the RB series motors.... but i dunno... maybe my mind will change later :-p.

As for pizza delivery posing a problem... maybe it wouldnt... but i dont wanna put TONS of miles on a motor im building up.... so stickign with KA would be great in that department... ive never dealt with a turbo car before so i dont exactly know firsthand how reliable it woudl be to run 100 miles a day on..... im sure people do it all the time tho.

and id definately like to try and get out there and take some drifting lessons, and try that every once in a while! so much fun... even tho the idea of it is pointless... a moving burnout.. wasting tires, putting off smoke...... its so amusing for some reason.... precision and control :-).

and i think thats all for this post.....

----------------------------------------------------
-73 Musatng 351c - 12mpg
FOR SALE
[External Image Removed]

talljosh85
Re: out with the old, in with the new?   Posted Tue Mar 2, 04   7:02 PM     

Well, I think a relatively stock sr20det would be allright for daily driving, especially with cooling upgrades (ie upgraded radiator, better cooling fans, etc). The Supra, for one, can run all day with the a/c on boosting without overheating, and the the car has two turbos heating up the engine compartment plus a stock cooling system, so it can be done. Also, I know a guy named Izzy who drives an s14 and drifts like a mofo, he's crazy and way cool, he lives in Redlands and goes to college somewhere. You'll probably run into him if you haven't yet. My goal is to have the skill to drift in the amateur competitions of the D1 events. Take care and keep me updated. Josh

Pages in this thread: 1 (2)