This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 1219

Metal396
mountain driving is fun   Posted Tue Dec 9, 03   7:30 PM     

went snowboarding with a couple of my buddies today ... snow conditions sucked, but the fact that it was free kicked ass .

the drive is soo great, first time i was the driver, it was fun as hell. made AWESOME time too!!! 40 minutes to get from highland to big bear , very little traffic... the civic handles like a dream, sooo smooth!!! average time to get to snow summit from highland is about an hour to 1:20 depending on traffic... made it in a whopping 40 minutes, with 2 passengers and a 3 snowboards + other gear.... hehehe didnt even push it to the limits.. damn i love lightweight cars!

we boarded for a few hours, had fun.. then came home in traffic, made it in 30 minutes!!!! thats a new record :-p. it was awesome. virtually NEVER touching the brake , cept hwen a slow person gets infront of me and goes 5mph around the corners...

i can only imagine how nice the civic would handle with tein SS suspention, and some 15x6.5 inch rotas, with sticky rubber!!! i managed to make it up there goin pretty quick without ANY understeer, and rather mild corner entrance speed so i could just use the gears to keep my speed perfect through the turns..

fun stuff!!!! but can be dangerous :-/, luckily there was like NO traffic on the way up!!!

Anybody else do any mountain driving? most people dont like it, i love it.

----------------------------------------------------
-73 Musatng 351c - 12mpg
-98 Civic EX D16Y8 - 30mpg

MrPeabody 1697posts Joined :09/06/02 03:30 PM

BEN IS A POST WHORE!
Metal396
Re: mountain driving is fun   Posted Tue Dec 9, 03   8:40 PM     

heres a pic of the road... its pretty fuckin crazy!! starts only like 5 minutes from my house... tehres hardly any straights, and its constantly up/downhill... very random corners, no steady switchbacks at all.... i thought this was a cool pic hehe

its highway 330 (base, in highland), and goes constantly turning into highway 18, and ending at the lake (big bear city on top right of pic).

any parts that look like a straight on highway 18, are constant curvs left and right, never actually goin straight, although u can see the road ahead around them...

[External Image Removed]

-73 Musatng 351c - 12mpg

BEN IS A POST WHORE!
Mister2age
Re: mountain driving is fun   Posted Wed Dec 10, 03   6:01 AM     

i do some mountain driving in the winter but haven't taken the 2 up yet and i don' think i will. I snowboard so it'd be pointless goin 2 the snow with no boards i do however drive down this huge twisty road we have here call the great ocean road about 4 times a year and that is great fun like 4-5 hours of switchbacks, quick straights, turns that are sign posted at 20 km/h taken at 70-85km/h crazy stuff. i have only done it twice in the MR2 and that was before i modified it. I can't wait.

Metal396
Re: mountain driving is fun   Posted Wed Dec 10, 03   10:32 PM     

hehe ya these roads are fun....

and about not being able to fit snowboards in the mr2, just get a Yakama rack, we sell em at sport chalet . . hehehe but ya, those yakama racks kick ass for any car that cant fit the gear u need to take on/in it... and theres soo many different kinds, most of which clamp on wihtout doing ANYTHING to the paint on the car. Hell, i can get a rack for my mustang and carry NAWS bottles up there haha... NOW THATS AN IDEA! .

So anybody else have some nice mountain roads? how bout osme pictures? hehe

-73 Musatng 351c - 12mpg

BEN IS A POST WHORE!
Phatmatt

Re: mountain driving is fun   Posted Thu Dec 11, 03   1:14 PM     

it's pretty flat around here. We have hills and turns but nothing too twisty. There are a few small mountains about an hour or so away but the roads aren't in great condition. The only mountian driving I get to do is in the summer when I go south and we hit the apps. Not as tall as the mountains out west but still filled with crazy and dangerous roads. Sadly, I saw the aftermath of some poor truckdriver who went off one. I'm pretty sure he didn't make it.