This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 6986

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
Bobby000
Help getting a car   Posted Sat Nov 15, 03   4:35 PM     

yeah, I'm getting my liscense soon (yeah, im that young), and i was looking to get a japanese car under $11,000. any suggestions? i was thinking something along the lines of a 99' eclipse

NickQ
Re: Help getting a car   Posted Sat Nov 15, 03   5:53 PM     

Depends. Do you want to go fast. Do you wanty style. Do you want reliability. All important.

[External Image Removed]
Bobby000
Re: Help getting a car   Posted Sat Nov 15, 03   6:08 PM     

I want to go fast, and i want it reliable, but i also plan to pour money into it, so a don't need something really fast to start, but something customizable

NickQ
Re: Help getting a car   Posted Sat Nov 15, 03   6:36 PM     

So do you have 11 grand to buy the car alone, then youre gonna fix it up as you go? or 11 grand to buy the car AND fix it up?

[External Image Removed]
Bobby000
Re: Help getting a car   Posted Sat Nov 15, 03   6:40 PM     

11 grand to buy it, and then as i go im going to fix it up

NickQ
Re: Help getting a car   Posted Sat Nov 15, 03   8:12 PM     

97 eclipse gsx

can pick one up for about 10 grand. very mod-able. all wheels drive 2.0 turbo. Power everything. Nice cars with great potential.

[External Image Removed]
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Help getting a car   Posted Sat Nov 15, 03   10:37 PM     

He said he wanted a reliable car, if u want reliable then Mitsubishi is not the way to go. You could go with some old school style and pick up like a 90' supra turbo for liek 2 grand plus, and its a toyota, so its gonna be reliable. If you want something more modern, pick up a 240SX, or you could go with an MR2. The MR2 has considerable style as well.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
jonorme
Re: Help getting a car   Posted Sun Nov 16, 03   8:27 AM     

If this is your first car why dont you get something not too flashy and just get used to driving in general

- Jon
Bobby000
Re: Help getting a car   Posted Sun Nov 16, 03   11:40 AM     

alright, thanks

Bobby000
Re: Help getting a car   Posted Sun Nov 16, 03   11:56 AM     

those cars are nice, but the insurance would be way to much for me to pay, are there any cars that are fast, but won't make the insurance go crazy. i realize that's probably impossible.

NickQ
Re: Help getting a car   Posted Sun Nov 16, 03   12:36 PM     

Who says that mitsu's aren't reliable? I have a good friend with a modded gs-t, who drives it to and from the track every friday (100 one way), and it is VERY reliable. What info do you have that says mitsu's aren't reliable? And as far as '90 supras go, they are slow pigs. 15.7 stock , vs 15 flat in the gst. And more than 1000 lbs heavier. They are kinda cool looking, but NOT good tuner cars.

[External Image Removed]
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Help getting a car   Posted Sun Nov 16, 03   12:51 PM     

Im not the only one who says Mitsubishi's arent reliable. If u check an old post by the name of "4G63 Powa!" i state taht mitusbishis suck, in which i get a reply from Mr.Peabody : "US Mitsu's yes, since they're pretty much Chryslers. JDM Mitsubishi’s are another story. "

Hence why Mitsubishis suck - unreliable, basically american cars. Thats probably also why they are so cheap when theyre only a few years old.

Samir "Office Space"
MrPeabody

Re: Help getting a car   Posted Sun Nov 16, 03   10:25 PM     

Of course this all depends on the capabilities of the owner as far as maintenance. I know several people personally who have very reliable DSM's.

It's all about preventive maintenance. There's documentation all over the net about known DSM problems. Take care of those, perform regular maintenance strictly and the car should be fine.

Another big problem with DSM’s is not really the cars, but the owners. Many start modding away without factoring in all the aspects of the car. Pick the right mods, do it right and the car will be fine.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Help getting a car   Posted Mon Nov 17, 03   4:56 PM     

What he said.

Samir "Office Space"
NickQ
Re: Help getting a car   Posted Mon Nov 17, 03   5:04 PM     

Now, highly modded dsm's, maybe, but I have never heard of unreliability in stock mitsus. Take the vr4 in the video i posted a few weeks ago. Take a look at his mod list. And that is about the third set of everything he has had to replace, in fact, it is not running as of right now. BUT, that is a highly modded dsm.

This guy wanted to know what a good car is to buy that is kinda quick, that can be modded. Gst's and Gsx's are quick stock, and can be modded reliably, just depends on the builder. Plus, they are good looking cars stock. We just had a huge eclipse/3000gt meet here in fresno, LOTS of badass, reliable dsms. I guess we both have good points. =)

[External Image Removed]
Pages in this thread: (1) 2