This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 2087

domestics_freak
Need some help on getting a cheap decent car.   Posted Sun Sep 28, 03   10:40 PM     

I'm new here, don't really know too much yet. I don't care if it is import, just don't make it a honda... I don't want anything new either. I have about 4,000 to spend right off the bat though.

Hey. I'm a big domestics fan... I was just wondering about getting a small compact car. Foriegn or domestic... What would be a good car that I can get a lot of power out of...
hooyeah
Re: Need some help on getting a cheap decent car.   Posted Sun Sep 28, 03   11:23 PM     

chevette

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
uglystick
Re: Need some help on getting a cheap decent car.   Posted Mon Sep 29, 03   11:35 AM     

HMMM,

with $4000 to spend, you need to do one thing and one thing only. be patient. NEVER EVER EVER see a car and think that deal isn't going to happen again . that is hands down the easiest way to overpay for a car. 'ooooh ooooh ooooh, i found a '64 tempest for $1000 bucks, good body, good interior, this ain't ever going to come around again, i have to do it!' then you miss the fact that it needs all new brakes and suspension.

just be patient and comb the internet, the auto trader and the newspapers and you'll come across something sweet.

jason

Cat'n'Mouse - '85 Jaguar XJ-S w/ SBC 383 Stroker; Moon Cross Ram Quad Sidedraft 45DCOE Webers; TCI 700R4; 2200 Stall; Dana 44 Indy Rear Axle w/ 2.88:1 Gears & Powr-Lok Posi; Goal: 185mph.
domestics_freak
Re: Need some help on getting a cheap decent car.   Posted Mon Sep 29, 03   7:42 PM     

Thanks for the info, but hey I did see a 79 T/A for sale for 2000, but I was discuraged by the large puddle of oil under it. I'm about to be temped to do work on my old truck. It has a 351C.

Hey. I'm a big domestics fan... I was just wondering about getting a small compact car. Foriegn or domestic... What would be a good car that I can get a lot of power out of...
LS4_454
Re: Need some help on getting a cheap decent car.   Posted Mon Sep 29, 03   9:24 PM     

Cheap, decent, small, a lot of power just dont go together. Figure out what you really want to do then find a car. Modifying the cheap, decent car may end up costing you more than the car is worth.
My bets would be a '87-'88 Mustang 5.0 with about 100,000 on it. I'll bet you can find one under $4,000 and even in decent shape. Easy to make faster with minimul expense.

Satanismycopilot
Re: Need some help on getting a cheap decent car.   Posted Tue Sep 30, 03   1:45 PM     

actually 90 with 40,000k miles on em in excellent condition is only worth 2k

Re: Need some help on getting a cheap decent car.   Posted Tue Sep 30, 03   7:30 PM     

Thats a great deal for a base car to build from, plenty left over to make it fast.

Satanismycopilot
Re: Need some help on getting a cheap decent car.   Posted Tue Sep 30, 03   7:39 PM     

yeah not only that u can buy some cheap 500 buck beater car while u build the other one. ive seen 331 strokers making 1040hp. so the sky is the limit well the size of your wallet rather. simply a stroker is the cheapest easiest way to go to make major power