This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 43637

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3 4 5 6 7  
Phatmatt

I'm back.... again.   Posted Thu Sep 11, 03   9:11 PM     

Ok I've been absent again for quite a while... I hope that there are still people on here who remember who I am. Just going to throw out a quick update and then ask some questions.

-Van is still hauling ass, 140,000 miles and counting.

-The Talon was put together half completed. The big T3/T4 hybrid has not been installed yet, nor has the new intercooler. However on the little 16G and some fairly simple mods I had it running high to mid 13s! I figure when there is nothing else to do this winter I'll get the REAL work done.

- I've been riding the bike like crazy before fall comes!

- With all that extra time this winter I'll have more than enough time to work on something else.... AND I'm putting the van into retirement as my daily driver. I need a new car that not only hauls moderate ass, but is relable, and cost effective.... but it still needs to have that underdog feel that the van did. I mean, I still want to race it! I'm thinking a Civic or CRX. probably civic though.

1. 1997-1999 probably. I like how they look best... simple as that.

2. Hatchback most likely. less weight, cheaper,.... is it just me or are the hatchbacks actually closer to the ground? Someone claimed that they weren't but I think they are a lair. IF I don't get the Hatchback I'm half tempted to go all out and get the EX coupe. what do you guys think?

3. I've done price research (a little) but what do YOU guys think is fair?

4. What are some simple mods that you guys can think of? What are somethings that you guys have done (I.E. Mr. Peabody).

5. I hear a lot about engine swaps.

6. um... that's it. Just give me CRAZY feedback if possible. I plan on checking back here in a few days AND starting to read the boards again.... which I haven't done in some time.

MrPeabody

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Fri Sep 12, 03   8:24 AM     

Matt! How's it going man? Told ya that talon could scoot with not many mods

As for a 6th gen, (96-00), civic, it sounds sweet. Personally those years’ hatches are my favorite looking civics’, but they're pigs compared to earlier models, i.e. heavier.

You have several options as far as go power is concerned. The SOHC motors can be made to scoot, but it's almost useless unless you build them and go turbo. A DOHC motor will have more potential without power adders and even more with a turbo or such

Bad news is that no hatches from those years came with the SOHC VTEC engine, (as far as I know), so a swap would be your best bet. You could get an EX coupe that has the SOHC VTEC mill with more potential, but I’d still recommend getting your hands on a JDM DOHC VTEC motor. Personally I’d go for a B18C, 1.8 DOHC VTEC, since you’ll be lugging around that extra weight of the 6th gen. Hell, you could even get an Integra LS 1.8 non-VTEC motor and go turbo on that for cheaper. Just depends on the money you have to throw at the civic, and how fast is acceptable for you.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
Phatmatt

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Fri Sep 12, 03   12:07 PM     

I don't consider anything above a 13.5 quarter mile time slip fast. However I WOULD like to make it a quick car. I mean if I could get it into 13s for little $, that'd be fine, but this WOULD be my daily driver. I've seen VERY good things done with the 1.8s in integras and wouldn't mind getting one inside of a civic.

It's just that the Talon is going to be mainly pleasure and I will always be tinkering with it AND I'm putting the van into retirement. I want a nice car I can cruise around in, but still destroy MOST cars on the street if need be. I actually DO like the looks of many of the 5th gen civics, but it'd be a pain in the nuts to find one in phenomal condition. I MAY just get an EX coupe and work from it's stock engine. I really haven't deciced. Is there a reputable Civic preformance page or anything?

keep up the imput guys. I love to hear from you.

Metal396
Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Fri Sep 12, 03   3:06 PM     

sounds like ur takin the same project at hand as i am matt!!!!! read this: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=335078
i learned alot from it!
i realy cant afford to swap the motor, nor rebuild the whole damn thing... so im thinkin i might just save up and buy a complete turbo kit, then work on suspention and what not. heres a link of turbo kits :
http://www.modacar.com/products/Honda/Civic/MODAFOIN/

----------------------------------------------------
[External Image Removed]
-73 Musatng 351c
-98 civic EX D16Y8
1969Stang
Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Fri Sep 12, 03   6:44 PM     

whats up dog.....okay here goes
buy a civic then do a b16 or b18 engine swap
or b20 bottom end with a b16 head
or LS block with a b18 head(i think thats is)
I just wanted to sound cool....hahahha. i don't know what the hell i'm talking about....go figure...but go with a turbo...
bigger size turbo with a venom nitrous system....must go with venom.....those kick ass...
so anyways when are your going to give me your van....hahahahha......i need a beer. peer preasure....peer preasure...peer preasure.....did it work..hahhaha

Go Ahead....
Unleash your Beast....
Mine will be waiting...
1969Stang
Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Fri Sep 12, 03   6:47 PM     

or say screw it all and go with a k series motor.....k20A...thats the type r rsx and civic motor right???....and the trans 6speed. but the engines the other way around then a b series. but area 51 has a conversion kit. to make everything work and all.....give me the van

Go Ahead....
Unleash your Beast....
Mine will be waiting...
MrPeabody

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Fri Sep 12, 03   9:05 PM     

Yeah, and a good K will run him 6 grand + since they're so friggin new

If you're shooting for 13's in the civic matt, it can be done two ways. Turbo the SOHC or do a B18 swap and put a little into the motor. The SOHC will most likely need to be built to handle the psi it's going to take to hit 13's in that heavy coupe. The B18 will do 13's with a little bit into the motor as far as all motor bolt-ons. The SOHC would most likely require an aftermarket cam, intake, header, exhaust and some fuel tuning to hit 13's without a power adder. Then of course there's always nitrous

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
BlownGTP

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Sat Sep 13, 03   7:25 AM     

Sup matt, nice to see you again. All i have to say is that im real disapointed how "HONDA" this place has gotten. Even the Domestic guys have turned over.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT! http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
Satanismycopilot
Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Sat Sep 13, 03   8:08 AM     

dont worry i wont

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Sat Sep 13, 03   8:46 AM     

Good to see we have another die hard.

Metal396
Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Sat Sep 13, 03   10:01 AM     

Dude, theres nothing wrong with honda! I didnt "Turn Over", i just realized how impossible it is for me to go to school in an old ass car and commute in it every day. and im not one for keeping my cars stock at all lol. If i could afford one i would just buy a new mustang... but guess what, i cant.... only thing i dont like about honda's are the FWD... im a RWD/AWD fan all the way... so maybe later ill build me up a nice Rx-7 ;-). Plus now days i think most people are looking into fixing up their imports for the TRACK, not so much the STRIP... i know thats what im goin for .

[External Image Removed]
-73 Musatng 351c
-98 civic EX D16Y8
MrPeabody

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Sat Sep 13, 03   10:50 AM     

Whoa, not only are the Hondas getting big, but the ignorance is getting pretty thick as well.

Oh wait I forgot, if it isn't a domestic it sucks!

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
Satanismycopilot
Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Sat Sep 13, 03   11:49 AM     

In reply to:

In response to:
Poster: MrPeabody
Subject: Re: I'm back.... again.

Oh wait I forgot, if it isn't a domestic it sucks!

-Ben

took the words right out of my mouth
/flamebait but i kid

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Sat Sep 13, 03   11:50 AM     

no peabody, imports are sweet cars. just not hondas.

example BMW, MERCEDES, SUPRA, SKYLINE, EVOS, WRX, 300 ZX ETC

You dont have to get mad peabody, i always knew you were a rice boy at heart. You should have just kept your damn civic.

Edited by BlownGTP (Sat Sep 13, 03   11:51 AM)

Metal396
Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Sat Sep 13, 03   2:11 PM     

wtf?..... GTP is just alittle bitch with a big mouth. we can all see how much he loves his cars... but how bout we all hate what we dont know anything about, just like him okay?

i suppose hondas suck just because you say so right? fuck you and your oppinion.

u are a disgrace to the DOMESTIC group.

why dont u show us pictures of what you are running? let us all seewhat you have. of all the time ive been here ive never seen one picture of your car.

[External Image Removed]
-73 Musatng 351c
-98 Civic EX D16Y8
Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3 4 5 6 7