This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 43637

Pages in this thread: 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7  
LS4_454
Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Mon Sep 15, 03   7:24 PM     

Geez Ben,
Don't turn this into a BMW forum, that is all those guys want over there, proof, pictures, charts graphs, receipts, etc. Youv'e been here a long time, if Blown were to tell me he has a Viper GTS, then I would believe him. He is very credible here and has been very helpful at times, or you could hang with Neon who changes jobs, cars , watches, about as often as he is changing his underwear, but we all know how much shit he is full of, which may be why he changes his underwear so often. LOL
I think Hondas suck too, but I dont think anyone here is trying to shove one down my throat and make me drive one every day, just like Blown isn't trying to make you go out and buy a Pontiac.
Oh and your Z, is more like a 14 second car, those things are quick right from the factory. Did you ever get your rear mount fixed?

LS4_454
Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Mon Sep 15, 03   7:25 PM     

Ya, and they also make nice lawn equipment!

LS4_454
Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Mon Sep 15, 03   8:00 PM     

Honda is to economy as what Volkswagen is to expensive. Both makes are trying to shed their skin and become something different, Honda going much more towards performance in certain models and VW is stepping up their performance too but they are also going way towards high end luxury with a $35,000 SUV and a $80,000 car. Now, who the hell wants to buy a $80,000 VW? They will always have the stigma of a in-expensive car, just like Honda has the reputation for economy and reliability. A turbo S Beetle is $25,000 and the new 4 Motion GTI is around $30,000-OUCH!
Lets see a standard New Beetle is about $17,000, so what do you get for another $8,000? Hefty price for an additional 60hp. For the 4 Motion you could get a Evo at the same price and get 50 more hp and 4 doors.

MrPeabody

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Mon Sep 15, 03   9:07 PM     

Never doubted him having a GTP, or requested any kind of confirmation

As far as the Z running 14's, I haven't the slightest clue. Though I have trapped in the 95 range. Honestly I’m not sure. What I am damn sure about is it's no 18-second car, regardless of what chadwick says.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
Phatmatt

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Mon Sep 15, 03   9:43 PM     

Ok look, I didn't start this forum so people could say how much they hate hondas. I personally DON'T give a shit. I would go out and buy a Fiesta if I thought I thought it would serve as a quick daily driver.

THE REASON I considered a civic is because I heard they are amazingly durable, functional, and enough people DO like them to have figure out good ways to mod them. WHY haven't I even thought about buying american? Because I haven't seen an american car that would fit my needs. A 98 Sunfire or Cavy? No thank you. GrandAm? NOPE, GrandAms are the MOST common care in Michigan (sorry to say but the Jap craze didn't catch on here in michigan. Most people around here buy domestic.) GrandPrix are almost as common. I like the car a lot to be honest. I think it's one of the few American cars that we did right on. But were I to buy one I'd SERIOUSLY have a hard time finding which one is mine when I came out of the store.

IF any of you have ideas for other cars that I could use as a daily driver please tell me. BUT here are my guidlines:
-I don't want a truck
-I'd like something that looks decent, or at least new.
-I don't want another van
-I want something that is fairly inexpensive
-I want a something that I won't have to work on more than my DSM that I have been moddin the shit out of.

please give me any and all feedback. Just don't complain about how "I've gone honda." I haven't gone anything. I'm still the guy with the 12 second van, I adore American Muscle, and my favorite car is still Dodge's Charger. BUT I you all know that I give props where props are due and the Japanese car companies are kicking our asses in the cheap market while the European car companies are kicking our asses in the expensive market.

feel free to talk about the issue of the Japanese/Euro VS American Car market, or what car you THINK I should get, and what I should do with it. But stop complaining about each other and bitching about who drives what. If you DO want to do that, please go start another thread.

Phatmatt

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Mon Sep 15, 03   9:50 PM     

one other thing. Someone said that there was a turbo kit going for about 1200 bucks (expensive) made by greddy for the honda civic EX. they failed to say if it worked for the 92-95 civic or the 96-00 civic. anyone know?

also which do you think would be the best if I were to go with a civic? (please consider speed, cost, and ...well whatever else you want.)

-Build off a 98 EX?
-Engine swap a 95 Hatch for the Integra and mod that?

BlownGTP

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Tue Sep 16, 03   7:43 AM     

Thanks LS, For clarifying how i feel about the subject. Took the words right out of my mouth. I guess for now, ill keep my mouth shut about what i like and dont like to avoid things like this getting out of control.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT! http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
Phatmatt

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Tue Sep 16, 03   11:18 AM     

Oh and I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to bitch at them directly. I'm bitching at everyone equally. There isn't really anyone on here I don't like. I just got pissed that my forum turned into a shouting match.

I just want advice, not wussies complaining about stuff that I don't care about. Opinons are welcome, but if you don't like what someone has to say, dissagree but don't be a little bitch about it.

VW_Nut
Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Tue Sep 16, 03   12:58 PM     

Deawoo, I haven't seen anyone do anything with them yet, be an original!

There is no substitute for cubic inches, except for cubic centimeters!
BlownGTP

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Tue Sep 16, 03   1:17 PM     

There is a really quick Hyundai running around here with a turbo. the car flys but it puffs blue smoke real bad when he gets on it. i dont think the motor can handle too much more.

MrPeabody

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Tue Sep 16, 03   1:43 PM     

There is a Greddy turbo kit made for the SOHC VTEC Hondas. It goes for around 1200-1500, (which is about the cheapest turbo kit you're going to find Matt). It's specific for the 92-95's but can be put on a 96-00 with a little tinkering.

As for the 98 EX vs. the 95-swapped hatch, the 95 will have far more potential. Especially if you get your hands on a GSR motor like Nick did. The SOHC could be quick yes, but it will take a moderate build and more psi than the Greddy turbo kit provides to run 13's. Like it's been discussed in other threads, a GSR in a 92-95 hatch is capable of 13's stock. A basic turbo kit should get you into solid 12's with slicks or maybe faster.

As far as cost, staying with the SOHC will be cheaper initially, and the turbo kit should get you into the mid 14's on the stock 5 psi settings. However, it's going to cost you a good chunk to run 13's without blowing the motor up, i.e. making it strong enough for the higher boost levels.

The DOHC motor in the hatch will run the times you want on lower setting of psi, but the swap will cost you some in the beginning.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
Phatmatt

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Tue Sep 16, 03   9:50 PM     

yeah I think I'm going to get a 95 hatch and buy a GSR motor. I know I can get a hold of one with a minimum of fuss. finding parts were never a problem for me, funding them was. It's also going to cost me a bit less to do that too. 95 CX hatchback goes for a LOT less than a 98 EX coupe. And that hatch will end up faster for the same money.

I'm going to seriously consider this, but I haven't made a final descision yet. hmm.... 13s after an engine swap? You KNOW that I'll have to turbocharge it after that and then it's just going to be another rediculous sleeper in the garage. I kind of need something I can drive in the snow........ I should have made the AWD Talon the daily driver!!!!!! ha ha. keep the opinons and ideas comming plz.

BlownGTP

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Wed Sep 17, 03   7:11 AM     

i would just buy a beater than. save your money for your fun cars and buy somthing you can plow into snow banks and laugh about it, Thats what i do. i get a new one every winter for like $500-$600.

Phatmatt

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Wed Sep 17, 03   10:10 AM     

that may not be a bad idea.

MrPeabody

Re: I'm back.... again.   Posted Wed Sep 17, 03   11:16 AM     

The sweet part about that CX hatch, with a turbo GSR, is that you can run lower psi with less required fuel upgrades. The motor will be dead reliable and it will be very street able, and you'll be running pretty quick times. It's not like it will be a weekend warrior that never runs. It could be a daily driver that hauls ass. There are plenty of very quick, daily driven Hondas out there; it's just a solid platform to build on.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
Pages in this thread: 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7