This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 33650

Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3) 4 5 6  
RyanAutry
Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Tue Sep 9, 03   11:42 PM     

In reply to:

Originally posted by LS4_454

Onto bigger and better things.
Are going to actually drag race often (strip or street) or did you just want see how fast your car is?

We go quite a bit. But we take our cars to the track in "street" trim.

In reply to:

Originally posted by LS4_454

This is were they become VW bugs, you got this massive amount of power and now you start spitting out half shafts like tooth picks because your driveline was designed for about 100-130hp. I like to watch the import drags and the pros have the halfshafts lined up like hot dogs at the AM/PM just waiting for one to snap.

As long as you spend the money up front. You can buy axles that WONT break.

You're right about the FWD though. FWD = WWD for sure.

--------
[External Image Removed]
'92 Civic Turbo Hybrid

My car's webpage
RyanAutry
Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Tue Sep 9, 03   11:45 PM     

In reply to:

Originally posted by VW_Nut

Mathmatically 2000lbs and 180hp puts him well into the 13's. Could be all the tire spin off the line,

The previous Owner ran a 14.4@98.

With a perfect 1.8 60ft, this IS a 13 sec car with the stock motor.

In reply to:

Let me guess, was the 14.80 accomplished by a full interior gut and removing the right headlight to get more air? More time and effort wasted for a average time. Always run the car the same way as you have it on the street.

This was with full interior and the headlight in place. This run was Done exactly how he runs it on the street.

--------
[External Image Removed]
'92 Civic Turbo Hybrid

My car's webpage
RyanAutry
Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Tue Sep 9, 03   11:51 PM     

In reply to:

If you didn't read into the post so much you figure out that there isn't any argument that a bug is better than a Honda.

Exactly.

In reply to:

My point was for the amount you have spent I can make my car much faster as yours should be faster for what you have spent.

Ok, what about our other friend. He has $2,700 in mods on his integra. No nitrous.
Here is his timeslip.

60ft . . . . . . 2.05
1/8th . . . . .8.37
MPH . . . . . 86.82
1/4 . . . . . . .12.79
MPH . . . . . 112.87

I've never seen a bug run 12.7's @ 113 mph with $2,700 in mods.

In reply to:

A car bouncing around 15's is nothing special compared to what is out there these days right from the factory, regardless of make.

You are correct. 15's are weak... very....

In reply to:

How could we even begin to compare creature comforts? The Honda wins that hands down, not even a need to go there. Shit, you win that just with wipers alone! LOL.

But this is a daily driven car. Not a Race car that drives on the street every once in a while.

In reply to:

But if we are going to racing at the track or on the street somewhere in Fresno then my money is going to go further and my car will be faster.

Watch out for the 12 sec Integra running around with only $2,700 under the hood.

In reply to:

But the biggest argument I can win is that when we both get done with all our mods, I dont have to worry about any smogs, legal or illegal.

Yes, it sucks taking 45mins out of our day every two years to un-install the turbo.

--------
[External Image Removed]
'92 Civic Turbo Hybrid

My car's webpage
RyanAutry
Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Tue Sep 9, 03   11:55 PM     

In reply to:

I'm not neccessarily looking for specifics but weight does matter and the best way to get it is by going to a public scale at trucking place and have them weigh your car

Why? Honda tells us the weight from the factory with full fluids???
Why waste our time?

In reply to:

If he ran his car with the full interior then that is best way to do it if your looking to keep up with someone on the street.

Yes, he runs his car as it is on the street. Full Interior. Not that Gutting a Honda saves you much weight anyways. Maybe 50lbs... lol..... Fvckin' Ricers.

In reply to:

Looks like his biggest enemy was the heat and humidity, watch the weather and find a nice dry day with high barometric pressure and that will give you the best possible times.

We know all about the DA on race day.

--------
[External Image Removed]
'92 Civic Turbo Hybrid

My car's webpage
RyanAutry
Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Tue Sep 9, 03   11:58 PM     

In reply to:

Originally posted by uglystick

if you put $3000 into your car over time, you'll be running low 14's too. if you put $3000 into it at once you could be in the high 12's. nickle and dime build ups don't result in serious power...saving money and investing it at once does though!

You are correct. Unless you do your research on your nickle and dime spending. Then they can and will make some serious power.

--------
[External Image Removed]
'92 Civic Turbo Hybrid

My car's webpage
RyanAutry
Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Wed Sep 10, 03   12:01 AM     

This is the Old Setup for Nicks Hatch. The Previous Owner is my best friend.

This is ALL THE MODS that were done to this car.

12.9@113 w/2.3 60ft on street tires

($4,200 in total engine and suspension mods)

Engine Modifications
- JDM 92 B18B Engine - $600
- USDM 00 Type-R Transmission - $1,000
- Turbo Kit - $1,900
- Manual Boost Controller - $50
- ACT 6 puck Clutch - $400
- B&M Fuel pressure regulator - $50

Suspension Modifications:
- Nuespeed 2.25" Race Springs - $75
- KYB Adjustable Shocks - $225

This was done on 10psi of boost. The engine put down 240whp 200wtq @ 10psi

Just some food for thought.

--------
[External Image Removed]
'92 Civic Turbo Hybrid

My car's webpage
MrPeabody

Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Wed Sep 10, 03   11:44 AM     

Damn, that was a lot of posts, but you made your point. I think everyone has come to an agreement, which is good. So now lets talk shop

I'll throw this in for you Honda dudes. My friend is finishing up a B16 swap into his CRX, what would be the best way to go turbo, (which he plans to do). I.e. what kits do you guys prefer and such. I've heard Rev Hard makes good stuff.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
Satanismycopilot
Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Wed Sep 10, 03   12:32 PM     

easy sell the car and buy a mustang and make 2xs the power for the same money

/flamebait =) i kid i kid

Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Wed Sep 10, 03   12:43 PM     

im not a big fan of mustangs but i couldnt agree with you more.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT! http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
VW_Nut
Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Wed Sep 10, 03   1:06 PM     

Ok, try this site and for those reading into every fucking word the formula is not gospel, I dont know if the HP numbers you use or switch around to get is rear wheel or flywheel and if it is "ideal" weather conditions, but if you put in your weight with your 180hp you get a 13.22 et which is way far away from a 14.80. If (big fucking IF)it is in the ball park then you have great potential with your car as it sits. I'm sure your first thing is the 11 year old tires and trying a set of slicks then working on your starting line technique. Go try some numbers, it is kind of fun to play with.

http://www.turbofast.com.au/Drag.html

So I take it your motor isn't turbo now? Which motor started at 140hp, your original or his motor before the turbo?

There is no substitute for cubic inches, except for cubic centimeters!
VW_Nut
Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Wed Sep 10, 03   1:10 PM     

"On a daily driver in Fresno 110º+ weather, AC is very important.
Sissy's... lol... "
It get s over 120 here, so sissy's-yes definitly.

VW_Nut
Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Wed Sep 10, 03   1:15 PM     

"I've never seen a bug run 12.7's @ 113 mph with $2,700 in mods. "
Yea, but how much did that Integra cost, you forgot to figure that in. My bug was only $700, so if I invest the cost of a used up Integra then some mods I win hands down, I just wont have A/C. LOL

"But this is a daily driven car. Not a Race car that drives on the street every once in a while. " Where did I say this is a race car? It is a street car just like your Honda sitting at the drive-thru at Burger King.

"Why? Honda tells us the weight from the factory with full fluids???
Why waste our time? "
It is a matter of knowing for your own good, it just depends on how serious you are about. For YOU it is a waste of time, for others it is valuble information.

"We know all about the DA on race day. " Thats good, but some dont, just trying to share some information for those that ever wondered why.

"Yes, it sucks taking 45mins out of our day every two years to un-install the turbo. " And the modified ECU, the air mass fooler and for those that dare the NOS.

But more seriously, when you guys are making these engine swaps do you go and have the swap checked out at the local BAR station so you dont have any problems smogging them or do most places just not realize the difference? Unless I guess the valve cover says Acura instead of Honda but maybe they cant read either,lol.

Metal396
Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Wed Sep 10, 03   1:51 PM     

as far as the nickle and diming goes, if i ever do decide to slap on a turbokit on my d16y8 motor (cause i couldnt afford a b16 or b18 swap anytime soon.) , the new header that im gunna buy within the next couple of weeks (probably go with a DC SPORTS 4-1 header), will be absolutely useless... but the stock header on the car right now is cracked in 2, so i really need the header nomatter what right now lol. is the $3000 turbokit from turbonetics a good deal? it has EVERYTHING needed, or at least it seems so. i saw it in the nopi insert of my superstreet magazine.

Other than the header, i dont think im gunna do anything to my civic for a while (till i choose to do the turbokit). well i could do coilover suspention, antisway bars etc etc, and start running it at autocross events for fun.

As for the civic, i just hope to get it into the 14s with turbo lol. Im gunna keep it as streetable as possible. it will be my daily driver . u guys know of any civic coupes with d16y8 turbo'd motors , and what theyre running in the 1/4? im just curious.

Im thinkin about selling my mustang around graduation time next year, cause im gunna need money for college, and other things probably lol. i hardly drive it anymore anyways cause of the gas mileage and im needing a newer more reiable car more and more lately. i love muscle cars, but they just arent practical... ill build up another classic later in life hopefull :-). but iwth the money i get if i sold the mustang , i could probably get a fox body 5.0 liter to toy with. it would be much more fun wiht the 5 speed also. my mustang isnt even set up for racing at all, at best it would run probably a 14.6 or 14.8 in the 1/4 mile. and the 60 foot times oughta be slow as shit.

Bugs are sweet i like em, my dad had one as his first car and he loves em too. theyre so light and the engine is over the drive wheels, it would be so much fun to run at the track and strip. but i sure dont wanna do one right now, id choose the civic.

P.s. - burger king sucks ass

----------------------------------------------------
[External Image Removed]
quik67firebird
Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Wed Sep 10, 03   2:02 PM     

Good start on the Honda, good times for what you have into it.

As for 120º and no A/C here in Palm Springs, welcome to my 1967 Pontiac, pebble grain vinyl world. A/C may be for sissy's, but I wish I had it when the temp's start to climb.

Satanismycopilot
Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*   Posted Wed Sep 10, 03   5:39 PM     

In reply to:

In response to:

Poster: BlownGTP
Subject: Re: Went to the track Friday *pic*

im not a big fan of mustangs but i couldnt agree with you more.

i know. but eventhough i dont like imports. if that what he wants to spend his money on more power to him. but i just dont see the point in spending 4k to run 14's when a 5.0 mustang runs low 15's stock and with that 4k be running what mid to high 12's

oh on a side note i maybe buying my friends 91 Cougar XR7 5.0. he rear ended someone today and doesnt have the money to fix it. he wants to pull the motor and get rid of it. i might buy it as a rolling chassis. because other then the front end damage the car is good shape body wise. but the posi unit in the rear needs to be replaced. and the AOD tranny will definitly need a overhaul and serious beefing up. im not sure where to go motor wise. im thinking cutting down the motor mounts some so i can drop in a motor with a standard hieght intake because the cat 5.0 has a shorter upper intake. maybe a 347...possibly a 393