This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 2002

SER4ME

SE-R SPEC V anyone?   Posted Sat Jul 12, 03   5:07 PM     

I've been checking out this board off and on for a while now. I was originally introduced to it by my little cousin through the create a ride game. I'm a big fan of sport compacts and am seriously considering buying one.

I really don't have a big budget as of yet, so I'm thinking something nice and cheap. The best bang for my buck seems to be comming from the 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. It's got everything I would want and with a respectable price tag of 14,000 dollars.

I would honestly prefer having something like a WRX or SRT-4, but they are a tad higher on the price range and I'm worried that a turbo-charger would increase my insurance rates dramatically.

What do you guys think? The Spec V? Maybe just the SE-R? I DO plan on putting some after market parts on it, maybe a small shot of Nitrous Oxide, and prehaps even even a turbo (assuming I can get someone to help me out, and they design a decent turbo kit for it). I would love any and all advice or opinions you guys could give me on the matter. THANKS!

MrPeabody

Re: SE-R SPEC V anyone?   Posted Sat Jul 12, 03   6:35 PM     

Hey. If people start ragging on you just say screw them, because sport compacts are pretty cool

The Spec V is a pretty sweet car. Good torque, and it has an LSD to boot. The latest issue of Sport Compact Car covered some bolt-ons for it and it got pretty good results. I'm not sure about a turbo/supercharger being available as of yet, but there will probably be one out soon. Another possible choice in that price range is an SVT Focus. Personally I’d go with the Nissan.

-Ben

tunermonkey
Re: SE-R SPEC V anyone?   Posted Sun Jul 13, 03   9:00 AM     

Try to find a decent 98/99 Dodge Neon RT or ACR. Best bang for the buck that you're gonna find... sure it'll be used, but you'd most likely only pay 6,000, 7,000 tops. Mid-high 15's stock. With minimal mods and a really good driver, 14's are within reach. Take the extra 7,000... add a stage II turbo setup from HRC, upgrade the internals and crank up the boost and you got one focking fast car.

We have a cheap 3.0 intake, ATX 52mm TB and a cherry bomb glasspack on our 98 Sport (custom ordered with ACR 3.94b tranny) and pulled a 14.9 last time out. Since, we've only added a header, gonna do a little more work and take it back in a few weeks.

JcAus
Re: SE-R SPEC V anyone?   Posted Tue Jul 15, 03   1:14 AM     

Ben,
Mate I have some awesome pics of a 260Z from the car show I entered on the past weekend.

260Z with a RB20DET motor
Will post em for ya

Jc

----------------
Check it out it's like this....
If I lose, winner takes my happy meal.
But if I win, I take the burger AND the TOY!
To some people thats more important.
MrPeabody

Re: SE-R SPEC V anyone?   Posted Tue Jul 15, 03   3:59 PM     

Sweet, that would be cool.

As for the SE-R, I drove one today Nice car, torque is with ya all the way, to 6200 RPM though I also drove an RSX Type S, which I prefered, but i'm a Honda guy.
Anyways, the Spec V was a nice car, i'd be giddy to have one

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
DieselGoPed

Re: SE-R SPEC V anyone?   Posted Thu Jul 17, 03   7:24 PM     

Ben, is the z lifted or summat?
wait... i bin seeing to much rice with bodykits lately.......

A wheel is for ever. A car is infinity times four.
Drive it like you stole it!
MrPeabody

Re: SE-R SPEC V anyone?   Posted Thu Jul 17, 03   7:39 PM     

Nope no lift, though the 240Z's are bit high up front. They have a tendency for high speed lift, that's why allot of people get front air dams.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
SER4ME

Re: SE-R SPEC V anyone?   Posted Sat Jul 19, 03   6:19 PM     

ok so I was looking at other cars and it got down to a slightly used WRX, SRT-4, or the more cost effective SE-R Spec V. I chose the Spec V and am VERY VERY VERY HAPPY. Although there is a good ammount of torque steer (which I noticed that the reviews on it bitched way more than they needed to about it), and the tires aren't top of the line, but other than that it is a superb car.

Phatmatt

Re: SE-R SPEC V anyone?   Posted Wed Jul 23, 03   9:41 PM     

I actually REALLY liked that car a lot. I almost got an SE-R to work on, but ended up with an older Talon for cheap. I may still pick up one later though.