This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 7854

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
DuckY
im stupid help me   Posted Sat Jun 28, 03   9:22 AM     

Ok Im trying to figure out what i should get for my first car. I know its still like 2 years away but i want opinions. I did want a Neon but then i wanted an eclipse. and now i dont know what i want. I mean hell Id even go for a trans am. i dont want a mustang cuz every1 has one. Why doe this have to be so complicated?

Opinions please.

I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbicile. I will only complicate you. Trust in me and Fall as well.

Edited by DuckY (Sat Jun 28, 03   9:54 AM)

Satanismycopilot
Re: im stupid help me   Posted Sat Jun 28, 03   10:34 AM     

get a 91 Cougar XR7 5.0 mustang power but doesnt look like a mustang. hard to come by there were only 5000 made which makes them rare. or you can get a rare mustang the chrome yellow lx 5.0 with black top convertables are really rare and so are 93 cobra only 5000 of them made too but youll pay about 10-15gs for one with low miles

but ild say go for the 91 Cougar XR7 5.0 they will run you abouty 3-5gs with about 70k miles on em

Re: im stupid help me   Posted Sat Jun 28, 03   11:12 AM     

What type of cars are you into? What do you want to do with your car? You shooting for a straight 1/4 mile machine or do you want to turn well to?

-Ben

Gorgoth3k1

Re: im stupid help me   Posted Sat Jun 28, 03   12:29 PM     

ok... i'm sure everyone saw this coming... or atleast some people saw it coming...

the car you HAVE to get for your first is one that is REAL cheap and can be made to go DAMN fast REAL cheap and REAL easy... I bought mine for a couple hundred bucks and it ran (had a blown main bearing so it didnt run very well... hehe...)

*start spiel*

now... for those of you that dont already know what i'm talkin about... its the FIERO!!! hehe... these cars are fast and handle like a go-kart (with the appropriate struts and springs, of course)... if you want more info on the fiero go to www.fiero.nl and go to the forums... these are badass little cars with an awesome following and community... you won't find another car as rare as the fiero for as cheap as you can buy it... driving around town i think i have seen 2 other fieros ... they are pretty damn rare (at least here they are) and are OFTEN mistaken for something Italian... especially the fastback models... hehe... with the right engine swap (which you can buy fieros with V8's already for around $3500) these cars will scream down the road and kill just about anything else you see... and... for your parents peace of mind... the only car that tested better in crash tests than the fiero was some Volvo... and them things are freakin BOATS... the fiero space frame has been compared in safety to full tubular racing chassis... if you search on that forum you will find the user Chester got his fiero RUNT OVER by an 18-wheeler with the only injury to his wife where she cut her arm getting out of the car... and they DONT catch on fire unless you dont take care of them at all... the only batch of fieros that had the fire problem was the original 84s and i believe just about all of them if not all have had their recall service done... but you dont want an 84 anyways... they have the Iron Duke 4banger and its not very fast... hehe...

**end of fiero spiel**

-Daniel

-------------------------------------------------------------
[External Image Removed]
Caddy 500ci. Fiero
DuckY
Re: im stupid help me   Posted Sat Jun 28, 03   5:52 PM     

well see when you ask what kinda cars im into i dont really knwo what to say. I could give you a list of cars but like i said *im stupid* id ont know how to like classify them into a certain group.

Mustang
Trans Am
Eclipse
Neon
Corvette
Camaro
etc. etc.

I need help and im a moron.

I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbicile. I will only complicate you. Trust in me and Fall as well.
DieselGoPed

Re: im stupid help me   Posted Sun Jun 29, 03   1:37 PM     

damn, id like to help you but i dont know much about american cars......but if you decide to move to good ol blighty, just ask.

A wheel is for ever. A car is infinity times four.
Drive it like you stole it!
MrPeabody

Re: im stupid help me   Posted Sun Jun 29, 03   6:50 PM     

Well, you can pretty much break the kinds of cars into several groups. A. by what type of engine they have, i.e. 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder, each type will have different characteristics. B. by how the power is put to the ground, i.e. rear wheel drive, front wheel drive and all wheel drive.

Deciding which one to get all depends on what you want to do with your car. Is it going to be for just the 1/4 mile and going fast in a straight line? Do you plan to autocross or prefer the car to handle well? Or maybe you want to take it off road?

Give us some info on what you want your car to do and be, and then we can get you started

-Ben

uglystick
Re: im stupid help me   Posted Mon Jun 30, 03   1:39 PM     

i told you to do a search:

two posts here from before:

Hey import nuts, when are y'all going to open your eyes and stop following the crowd? I have some things y'all might want to look into in terms of good inexpensive performance imports that might have been overlooked:

Simple Conversions that Produce LOTS OF Power...

MG B w/ Wankel Rotary Engine
MG B w/ full T-Bird Turbo-Coupe Drivetrain (incl. the 8.8" Rear end)
Datsun 510 w/ Nissan Maxima V6 Drivetrain (FWD or RWD)
BMW 2002 w/ 2.5l Baby Six & Five Spd.
Datsun 510 w/ Corvair Drivetrain (run CV's to Front Suspension, Weld Up Driveshaft to output to rear diff too - AWD Flat 6 in a 1800lb car)
Mini Cooper w/ Honda VTEC DOHC 4 Zyl.
BMW 2002 w/ 80's M3 DOHC 4 Zyl.

Vehicles with a good base to go turbo or all motor:

BMW 2002 (Run a set of Weber 45DCOE sidedrafts, cam, compression, later head, etc)

Datsun 510 - A very overlooked easy to modify hot little car that will run 11's with ease if built right. Also, it's carburetted...so much easier...

BMW 700 / Honda S600: These little monsters - one fwd, one rwd, both operate on the same principal - build a tiny car that weighs nothing and power it with a motorcycle engine. The S600 (i can get you one for dirt up here if you're interested) is a decent car, but the BMW 700 is a MONSTER. it will do 1-60 in 5 seconds, run at 120mph all day long and it gets 45mpg. The engine is a 700cc roller bearing crank motorcycle engine. And the way it is set up, you could easily run it awd as well.

Overlooked Engines that can be found in junkyards ready to go for less than $1000 complete:

Jaguar 5.3l 60 deg V12 - Good Unburnt full Engines for $800, add a good $4000 and you have a 12.5:1 compression monster breathing through 6 Weber IDF Downdrafts and sparked w/ a custom crane ignition. Good to run at 7000rpm all day long. Make sure you cool it properly. That and the stock ignition were the death of many of these engines.

BMW Baby Six / Big Six Configurations - These inline 6 Zyl Engines can be found in junkyards (even the 10:1 Euro Engines) for under $300. They will fit in a lot of rwd vehicles and the euro engines w/ a few little $100 mods here and there can put out up to 260 horse for a total cost of under $2000. In the right car with the right trans/flywheel you can be running 12's for cheap.

Mercedes Diesel 4's and 6's: These engines can be converted to gas use with different pistons to build a monstrous stroker engine. The high deck height to accomodate for the diesel rotating assembly provides a perfect base to build a monster gas motor from...

Just some thoughts to get the ball rolling. I just think a lot of you kids end up spending enough money on your cars that you could be running far quicker times with a different configuration and a little 'outside the box' thinking.

ain't that the DAMN truth! your first car should break your bank account. not only that, but new drivers don't put too much mileage on their cars (generally).

now my .02 cents (as always):

don't buy a damn gs-r! if you want a fast car, go buy a regular honda and drop an oversized engine in it. learn all of your auto knowledge up front, you'll save more money that way than finding a car that gets good mileage. then, you'll get good mileage while you build the engine for the car (the big one, prior to the conversion).

also, buying a special model like a gs-r not only comes with a big initial pricetag, but almost guaranteeably comes with the fact that the car has been driven HARD. why start out with a car you KNOW someone has beat the shit out of (even if it's not visible damage)?

it's like buying a buick grand national. you're guaranteed people have lead-footed the thing for years. you get what you paid for.

NOW, if you really want to be creative, why not buy an old early '70's two door volvo, and drop a turbocharged vortech v6 into it? the volvo rear axle will handle a lot of power, the 4.6 (i think that's the displacement) liter vortech v6 is a healthy little motor, turbo on a stock used fuel injected engine would be probably around $3000, add a tranny at $500 for used, and you'd be hauling balls.

and before you say anything, volvo's kick ass. ok, here i go showing my 'i may own american iron, but i'm a crazy oddball euro import fan to the core' side.

go to www.turbobricks.com and see what those crazy guys have done to their cars. they put vette engines in them, gargantuan turbos with 6:1 static compression and a cam that revs to 11,000 rpm on a stock bottom end, you name it.

my idea is just an example, but it's a good example of a car you could spend, say $500 for, and run into the ground while you build the conversion engine in your garage. in the end, you have a fast unique car on the cheap. i have a million and five other examples of this.

read my 'no creativity in the import scene' post. two of my favorite often done conversions that are cheap and very reliable are the following:

Mini Cooper with honda vtec engine/trans
mgb or triumph spitfire with rotary mazda engine

small cars, good looking, plenty of performance parts cheap for the conversion engines...

not only that, you're FIFTEEN! you have plenty of time to plan out a good strategy, search for just the right car and make all of this come together. if you were so inclined, you could go take auto shop and build your conversion engine BEFORE buying the car or even turning 16. depends on your level of ambition...

and yes, i'd guess a mini cooper with a 2.2l dohc prelude motor would run a very fast quartermile. and handle like jesus riding a lightning bolt.

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
Satanismycopilot
Re: im stupid help me   Posted Mon Jun 30, 03   1:57 PM     

its a 4.3 liter vortech v6 =P

personally i still say get the 91 Cougar XR7 5.0. you can fit a 351 Windsor in it hell make it a 393 windsor
here is the website of a guy who droped a 351 in an 89 Cougar LS http://www.amphibian.com/cougar/engine.asp

snot a REAL easy conversion but you are GUARUNTEED to have a very rare car to begin with an extreme touch of unique

and with this conversion starting with a 5.0 cougar is way easier because you already have the computer all wired in and what not no need to have to splice wires etc

Edited by Satanismycopilot (Mon Jun 30, 03   1:59 PM)

1969Stang
Re: im stupid help me   Posted Mon Jun 30, 03   10:36 PM     

don't get a ford....i love ford....but its really not a a first time car buying type car(if that made any sense) buy a honda or toyota...something realible.....i know your not going to listen to me.....but remember i said this...buy something reliable then save up...for something your hearts desired. like i said don't get a ford.....btw i love my new job at pep boys......

Go Ahead....
Unleash your Beast....
Mine will be waiting...
hooyeah
Re: im stupid help me   Posted Fri Jul 4, 03   7:48 PM     

i'll probably be picking up an 80's caprice itas a boat but still cool buy a chjeap honda cavalier neon anything reliable and old

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
DuckY
Re: im stupid help me   Posted Mon Jul 7, 03   8:13 AM     

I'm suddenly drifting back to the idea of getting a Neon...whats your opinion on them? Or maybe i should get a jeep. -?-

--------*---------
"Hate is baggage. Life's to short to be pissed off all the time." --American History X
BlownGTP

Re: im stupid help me   Posted Mon Jul 7, 03   11:55 AM     

why even think about it now? your ideas will al change by the time you actually get a car anyways. So will your funds. youll probably end up with an 87 Tempo!!!!

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT! http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
DuckY
Re: im stupid help me   Posted Mon Jul 7, 03   5:28 PM     

First Off my funds wont change my Dad is buying my first car.

Second off. I swear i have a serious mental problem. I have always always known where i wanted to go to college. Yeah i changed my mind. But there has never been a time where i had a few in mind. And i have always knwon what i wanted fo rmy first car. I always wanted a mustang. But now i dont want that. So im kinda freaked. Mental help is seriously needed i know.

--------*---------
"Hate is baggage. Life's to short to be pissed off all the time." --American History X
Satanismycopilot
Re: im stupid help me   Posted Mon Jul 7, 03   8:57 PM     

get the 91 Mercury Cougar 5.0...mustang power but dont look like no mustang. personally not only are they sporty but they have a lot of luxury in them too with air ride suspension and idependent rear suspension makes for a nice smooth ride. and the interior is roomy just not quite as fast as a mustang being they weight about a half a ton more