This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 7053

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
BlownGTP

H20 injection   Posted Wed May 21, 03   10:21 AM     

Does anybody know much about this? I know it acts as a kind of intercooler. I can buy a kit for $300 and i have been told it will drasticly reduce knock and Gain me about 30 hp. Are there any disadvantages and will it really produce 30 extra ponies? any help would be appreciated.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
hooyeah
Re: H20 injection   Posted Wed May 21, 03   11:56 AM     

water injection? umm how is the water gonna help at all a cooler intake charge i get that much but is it really good to run water through your engine? or does it act as a compression adder as well?

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
BlownGTP

Re: H20 injection   Posted Wed May 21, 03   12:09 PM     

im not exactly sure but you are able to run a water and alcohal mix or just water if you want. im not exactly sure how it works. do you have a switch hooked up for wide open throttle or somthing? im just starting to look into it.

LS4_454
Re: H20 injection   Posted Wed May 21, 03   4:56 PM     

Ive heard before there are "benefits" but I'm not sure if 30hp is realistic. It may help clean the carbon from the pistons and combustion chamber but too much will end up in the oil, BAD!! In general, when it is humid out the water is displacing the amount of air the motor can take in naturally, so I would think adding more would be bad except that you are injecting with the air/fuel charge that is already coming into the intake. An ideal aircharge is very low humidity , high barometric pressure, and COLD air.The alcohol will definitly make a difference in cooling the air charge, but how much do you put in and when do you activate it? I would do some more research before getting too crazy with it, I would rather inject NOS and get a real 50hp.

Stryker
Re: H20 injection   Posted Wed May 21, 03   10:16 PM     

Ok...I've heard about this on another forum too...There's also an Ntercooler that uses nitrous to do the same thing. You already need an intercooler for it to work...It just enhances the intercooler with either nitrous or cooled air *get this...The air is kept in a nitrous-like bottle, so the ricers will still think ya gots nawwwwwwwwwws on yer car*
That's my .02 on the matter...May be somethin entirely different, but it sounded like the same thing to me...

~~~::<Curtis Stryker>::~~~
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
BlownGTP

Re: H20 injection   Posted Thu May 22, 03   12:03 PM     

you dont need an intercooler for this setup. All it does is sprays atomized h20 into the intake. i just dont know how it works and if you use exhaust pressure to activate it or if you have a W.O.T. switch. thanks for the info Ls454. it will take some time before i know whats up with it.

hooyeah
Re: H20 injection   Posted Thu May 22, 03   7:00 PM     

it could possibly be a compression booster i suppose water doesn't compress as easily as air jumping up the compression making more power....jsut think about it though would you spray water into an engine?

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
BlownGTP

Re: H20 injection   Posted Fri May 23, 03   7:27 AM     

well, its not like its a stream of water, its a real fine mist.

MrPeabody

Re: H20 injection   Posted Fri May 23, 03   10:41 AM     

It's more of a safety measure than a performance upgrade. Sport Compact Car has one on their 300ZX TT, and I believe the EVO's have it to.

-Ben

BlownGTP

Re: H20 injection   Posted Fri May 23, 03   11:57 AM     

Yeah, saftey against detonation.

Cutlass

Re: H20 injection   Posted Wed May 28, 03   8:14 PM     

its mainly used to prevent detonation. usually its injected with a nozzle and it has a pump to pressureize the system. its not worth the money.

-------------- 470 cubic inches of pissed off Oldsmobile.
BlownGTP

Re: H20 injection   Posted Thu May 29, 03   7:11 AM     

From what i understand, it would actually advance my timing and reduce knock retard. is that true?

uglystick
Re: H20 injection   Posted Thu May 29, 03   11:35 AM     

yeah you'd have less knock at stock timing, so the knock sensor wouldn't retard the timing.

think of a few things though:

rust, rust and rust.

go here for more information:

http://saabnet.com/tsn/bb/performance/

these cats know plenty about injecting water into their engines. they run good times and get 300+ hp from 2.0 liter four bangers with it.

aquamist is the main company that sells water injection systems afaik.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
BlownGTP

Re: H20 injection   Posted Thu May 29, 03   12:14 PM     

Thats the kit that i have been looking at by aquamist.

MrPeabody

Re: H20 injection   Posted Thu May 29, 03   12:18 PM     

So basically don't get it if you're looking for a "performance hopup" it's just a precautionary item, and if you don't need it then why get it.

-Ben

Pages in this thread: (1) 2