This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 21015

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3 4 5  
ProbeU

Hello all.   Posted Wed Apr 16, 03   3:43 PM     

I found this site by accident through some game I found on Newgrounds.com about two months ago. Since then I've been comming on here just to read what you guys write and I couldn't help but start an account to ask some questions.

If you want to know about me, I'm not a tuner or great street racer. I drive a 96 probe gt that has had only some minor things I've done to it. It's fun to cruise in, but it's no dragster. I've probably got it pushing 177horses. Not too impressive, I know. But that's why I'm on here. I want to learn. I've spent the last few years trying to soak up as much information on automobiles, racing, and preformance as possible.

Now I have a few questions right off the bat.

1. How big (or how much flow) does a turbocharger have to be running to get that loud "PSST" sound? It's the blow-off valve making the noise, but I've heard some cars with really quiet turbos, and some with REALLY loud ones.

2. What is the cheapest and best way to get extra speed out of your car?

3. What kind of modifications requite you to lift out your engine? I mean, can you turbocharge a car without pulling appart the engine? or install a larger turbo? What about nitrious oxide? How do you get that to the cylanders without pulling out the engine? How hard IS modifying your engine? How long do you spend on it for just simple preformance upgrades.

ok I KNOW that was TONS of questions, and I'm sorry. But I'm just really curious and I don't know too many guys who I can ask theise kinds of questions too.

Stryker
Re: Hello all.   Posted Wed Apr 16, 03   3:51 PM     

Ok...where to start...
I know a few people with 6psi on their turbo and a blow off valve, and it still makes a loud psst. The whistle normally produced by turbos depends on a few things:
First, what turbo you have? Some companies have quiet running turbos...
another is how much psi you runnin. 10psi or more, and you can usually hear the whistle of a turbo as it goes by...
Cheapest and best way to get speed...Don't spend your money on useless shit like rims, neon, and body kits. If you lookin for speed, put it into high performance parts. Camshafts, forged rods/pistons, turbo and intercooler, borla exhaust, bigger intake, high flow headers and high flow cat.
Some good bolt ons to start would be a header, high flow cat, exhaust, cold air intake, and performance intake manifold.
you can usually do those bolt ons in 2 hours or so, if you're a begginer....

~~~::<Curtis Stryker>::~~~
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
ProbeU

Re: Hello all.   Posted Wed Apr 16, 03   4:23 PM     

thanks that helps a lot. I actually have a lot of questions about turbos. They really boggle my mind. I know basically how to work, but I'm sketchy about how they make more horse-power. How does that work?

How much work is involved in upgrading a turbo? (friend's father has a WRX and mentioned installing a larger turbo) Also how to boost controlers work and now do you install/use them?

Also I have just one more basic question. How much money would someone spend on a fairly average car to put him into a range where he could dominate on the street?

ok I PROMISE to shut up for a while. I just got over excited is all.

And thanks a lot Stryker. you helped answer my questions right off!

hooyeah
Re: Hello all.   Posted Wed Apr 16, 03   4:29 PM     

to put it simply turbos working by ramming air into the engine more air = more power potential

and about ripping the engine out of your car on some cars to take the oil pan out you need to rip out the engine on some you can do practically anytihng witout depends on the design of the car.

177 hp is a fairly accurate estimate what is it stock and what have you done to it?

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Stryker
Re: Hello all.   Posted Wed Apr 16, 03   4:31 PM     

Oh great. The new kid got too excited. someone get the mop and clean up this mess.

Just kiddin wit ya. Anywho, PhatMatt and uglystick are more intelligent on turbo than I am. But for your 'basic question' that depends on a few factors.
1. What kinda cars run in your town? If it's all honda's, then the answer is not much...If it's all Camaros, Nova's, Chevelle's, and MUSCLE cars, then the answer is a whole hell of a lot.
2. What car YOU runnin? With your Probe, you'd have to spend a lotta money to get that thing to dominate, cause the smaller engines have performance parts, but they are expensive to get.

~~~::<Curtis Stryker>::~~~
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
ProbeU

Re: Hello all.   Posted Wed Apr 16, 03   4:47 PM     

oh ok. Well that's about all I knew, but I thought it would have been more complicated than that. Um, my car came with about 165hp. I put on a preformance exshaust, lightweight flywheel (which doesn't really change my hp), and a K&N filtercharger. Pretty basic. I'm gussin that upped it by 10 or so hp.

Stryker: What cars run around here? Well winter is over so the real cars are comming back out on the road. You see just about everything though. You see a lot of 80s and 90s Mustangs, Camaros, and Firebirds (usually the V6s, but 1in5 is a bad boy 8). We also have some sligtly modified civics, VW Golfs, Jettas, Neons, Cavilers, Contours, Probes, tons of trucks (Rams F-150s, and Rangers). *DEEP BREATH* a few supras, Zs, Imprezzas,lancers, early eclipses, and a Skyline hear and there. We have EVERYTHING. My buddy Kyle even claimed on seeing a mini-van beat a 5.0 mustang, although that was probably BS. But the guys you REALLY have to watch for is the old american muscle. All motor guys who restore and drag theise monsters from the 60s and 70s....... and there is a guy with a pretty quick viper. ok that ought to do it.

uglystick
Re: Hello all.   Posted Wed Apr 16, 03   4:53 PM     

1. it's the style of blow off valve that determines the volume (ie loudness) of the hiss. the louder it is the dumber the driver.

a good bov will reroute the unused boost charge into the turbo inlet plenum to offset the high vaccuum in that area. rerouting the charge means it isn't as loud.

2. cheapest way to get extra speed. bang for the buck, a turbo. period. stock everything plus a turbo and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, you'll be good for quite a while...and at least be able to dominate a majority of cars out there.

3. most of the shit on your car can probably be easily accomplished without pulling the engine. the turbo can be installed without pulling the engine, so can a set of cams. but you won't want to do both as most cams wont' work well with turbos. a stock cam is usually your best bet with a turbo.

if you're willing to hang your ego on the doorknob and listen to me, i'll tell you EXACTLY how to go about making your car a hell of a lot faster.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
hooyeah
Re: Hello all.   Posted Wed Apr 16, 03   5:21 PM     

phatmatt has a 13 second minivan it's not that hard to belive

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
ProbeU

Re: Hello all.   Posted Wed Apr 16, 03   5:23 PM     

I would like that....... I would really like that. So would my friend Kyle. He's supposed to be getting (or his parents are helping him pay for) a new car for graduation.

BlownGTP

Re: Hello all.   Posted Wed Apr 16, 03   5:38 PM     

The one thing you have to think about is how much money do you want to spend? i hope you have a good job. It all costs money. a good car to start with is an old turbo supra (87ish) or and old Conquest TSI or eclipse. all can be bought for around $5000. i think building up your Probe is a lost cause but i could be wrong.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
ProbeU

Re: Hello all.   Posted Wed Apr 16, 03   7:52 PM     

unfortunately I work at a carwash where I make 6.50 an hour. But sometimes I get tips, but that's rare. No, I can't say that I'm loaded. But I am willing to work and I'm trying to get hired at a nearby autoparts store (I hear they give employee's discounts and I'd be working more). My folks are paying for college, and I'm staying at home since our house is pretty big and it's just three of us here. SO 75% of my cash (or more) will go towards a car and I have about $3000 in the bank.

You're right, I don't think the Probe is a fanstastic car work on. Although I can show the civics a thing or two. Like I said, my friend is getting a new car soon ...probably this 96 eclipse GSX that used to be at carshows all the time. it's this BRIGHT orange color and the guy went all out with the lights and bodykits and paint, but barely ever drove it. It's only got like 30,000 miles on it. The engine is stock, but in good condition. The car already looks great, now we want to make it fast. ....so we can actually show that it IS fast to the girls that it will impress.... What do you guys think?

JcAus
Re: Hello all.   Posted Wed Apr 16, 03   10:12 PM     

I think old school 77 datto with an RB26DETT will show the little chickies in WRX and Skylines that they aint that great but the paint needs to be rough and turn the 4 door into a 2 door by mig'n the rear doors shut like really dodgy style and show them ricers that even old school rice will dominate.......

oooops sorry memory relapse wont happen again lol

Jc

----------------
Check it out it's like this....
If I lose, winner takes my happy meal.
But if I win, I take the burger AND the TOY!
To some people thats more important.
Phatmatt

Re: Hello all.   Posted Thu Apr 17, 03   7:00 AM     

hey nice to meet you. Glad to see you've taken an interest in turbos. Says you live in jackson MI. You've probably seen me around.

sweetdevil
Re: Hello all.   Posted Thu Apr 17, 03   8:42 AM     

now this is an example of a kick ass newbie and a cool thread...
sounds like the street racing scene is pretty intense where you live, nice!
I gotta add one thing about the hiss on a Turbo, Jason says the louder the hiss, the dumber the driver... But some of those killer sand cars out in Glamis have really loud Turbos, and it sounds really cool out there... (Cuz those are the cars that do wheelies down the sand drags....)

Sweet Devil Clothing
Ride Like HELL!
uglystick
Re: Hello all.   Posted Thu Apr 17, 03   9:29 AM     

i meant bov hiss, not straight up turbo whine.

;-)

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3 4 5