This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 4102

Stryker
Here's a question for ya....   Posted Sat Apr 12, 03   1:59 PM     

Found a control module for my truckk that'll increase hp by 25%. I was readin it and it says it monitors the vehicles TPS, MAP, and MAS...But it don't say what these are...Anyone wanna fill me in?

~~~::<Curtis Stryker>::~~~
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
LS4_454
Re: Here's a question for ya....   Posted Sat Apr 12, 03   5:50 PM     

25%? So if your motor is making 200 that would be 50 hp more, doubt it, more like 5-10%. Take it to a track and do a before and after test to see how well it really works.
TPS= Throttle postition switch, should be on the end of your throttle shaft for the throttle valve to monitor its position.

MAS= Mass air flow sensor, it is just after your air filter on the intake tube , it tells the control unit how much air is coming into the engine, there will be a electrical connector on it.

MAP= can't remeber this one but I believe it checks the engine temperature so the engine control module knows how warm the engine is so it can set the fuel mixture.

Anyone?

Stryker
Re: Here's a question for ya....   Posted Sat Apr 12, 03   7:36 PM     

Well, my engine is pumpin out no where near 200hp. I only have 120. With the cold air intake, header, high flow cat., and exhaust I plan on gettin, I should have about 160.
Oh, and is there a differnece between a power module and a control module? Damn I hate F.I. lol. Too many computer shit that goes with it.

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
LS4_454
Re: Here's a question for ya....   Posted Sat Apr 12, 03   8:09 PM     

I would say they are one in the same, but wait for Jason or Phatmatt, their more up on that.

MrPeabody

Re: Here's a question for ya....   Posted Sat Apr 12, 03   9:41 PM     

40 HP is high expectation for intake header exhaust on a naturally asperated 4 banger... you'll probobly make closer to 20...

-Ben

SweetNeon

Re: Here's a question for ya....   Posted Sat Apr 12, 03   11:15 PM     

map sensor is basicly a pressure sensor, usually coolant temp sensors will give the control unit info and then it adjusts the fuel mixture accordingly

hooyeah
Re: Here's a question for ya....   Posted Sun Apr 13, 03   11:48 AM     

look out may jsut be a buy me claim i doubt a ship could get anywhere near 25% gain so they're saying a chip could get a 400 hp corvette upto 500 very doubtful

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Phatmatt

Re: Here's a question for ya....   Posted Sun Apr 13, 03   9:35 PM     

MAP regulates fuel mixture by receaving information on your engine temp and makes adjustments accordingly. MAS is your air sensor. TPS is your throttle position sensor, basically sends info to the computer about how much the thorttle is open.

There is no way that there a chip that could make your hp go up by 25%. I don't see how that's possible.

Stryker
Re: Here's a question for ya....   Posted Mon Apr 14, 03   9:54 AM     

I didn't ask you, canadian cocksucker.

Phatmatt, I went back today, and it was changed...25hp, not 25%. They fucked up on the price too, it was 240 bux, not 550. lol

hooyeah
Re: Here's a question for ya....   Posted Mon Apr 14, 03   12:45 PM     

so much anemosity al oh wait :-P

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
uglystick
Re: Here's a question for ya....   Posted Mon Apr 14, 03   12:48 PM     

Lets get this straight: MAP stands for Manifold Air Pressure. It's basically an internal barometer for your engine.

it has nothing to do with temperature.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.6L Straight Six; Garrett GT35 Ball Bearing Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
Phatmatt

Re: Here's a question for ya....   Posted Mon Apr 14, 03   3:39 PM     

I thought it all went through the same wiring and used the read the temp in conjunction with the pressure.

uglystick
Re: Here's a question for ya....   Posted Mon Apr 14, 03   3:45 PM     

nope it's all pressure. if not, i have no idea why my haltech would run an ambient air temp sensor right next to the map.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.6L Straight Six; Garrett GT35 Ball Bearing Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
LS4_454
Re: Here's a question for ya....   Posted Tue Apr 15, 03   7:21 AM     

This is a little more specific but it is basically what you have already said:
"The MAP sensor is connected to the intake plenum with a hose and constantly measures the intemal collector pressure. The measured amount of manifold air pressure is converted into an electrical signal and sent to the control unit"
Found this doing a search, definitly no mention of temperature. But, how can it read "pressure" when there is vacuum in the manifold? Shouldn't it be called a vacuum sensor or would that make your engine a Hoover?