This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 3308

Metal396
Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   3:30 PM     

Just wondering if theres fuel injection kits for em, and turbo kits... around graduation (this time 04) i may be sellin my spectrum and buyin a beater 62-70 VW bug, ill look for a 1600cc . Im gunna need something with good gas mileage (4 cylinder deffinately), affordable (v-dub) and lightweight and easy to fix up (Bug deffinately).

If i do get one itll be my daily driver, and theyre so light that if i push 120hp out of a 1835cc (my friend has a '63 with a 1600 punched out to 1835 makin 125hp) itll run pretty quick, and that light weight itll handle too . But gas mileage is the main reason hehe.

----------------------------------------------------
[External Image Removed]
hooyeah
Re: Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   3:46 PM     

ls454 has a few bugs he should be able to help ya jsut watch out i heard they're bad for rad hoses bursting

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Gorgoth3k1

Re: Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   8:59 PM     

Ya.... i also hear the radiators on them break all the time.... if you listen on CB radios you'll hear truckers sayin "i'm carryin a truck full of v-dub rads here"

hehe...

-Gor

-------------------------------------------------------------
[External Image Removed]
Caddy 500ci. Fiero
LS4_454
Re: Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   9:07 PM     

." Im gunna need something with good gas mileage (4 cylinder deffinately), affordable (v-dub) and lightweight and easy to fix up (Bug deffinately). "

A 1600 wont give you much performance, what do you consider "good" gas mileage? It's not hard to get more power from a bug and end up at 12-15 mpg, but then again it may run 13's in the 1/4. If you stay at 1600 I would go with a turbo, try Turbo City, they may still have ads in Hot VW's but the kits may be $1200-1700. Gene Berg Ent and CB Performance sells FI kits check both sites. www.geneberg.com and www.cbperformance.com

"If i do get one itll be my daily driver, and theyre so light that if i push 120hp out of a 1835cc (my friend has a '63 with a 1600 punched out to 1835 makin 125hp) "

125 from an 1835 is pretty good, is he sure or is that what he "thinks" (Neon thinking) I used to have a '73 Super Beetle (heavy), stock trans, running a 1835, Engle 110 cam, 041 heads, 44 IDF dual carbs, 9:1 compression and it ran 16.30's in the 1/4 and averaged about 18-22 on the freeway, maybe making around 90hp.

The early bugs are lighter I have a '69 that I'm selling and can send pics, just PM me your e-mail if interested. I have some 40 IDF dual carbs and other engine parts I "may" part with.
Bugs can be expensive to build for hp, case work -$100-250, good heads $250-800, carbs $ 600-1,400, cranks $250-500 and that is just the major items. Keep in mind once you make this hp then you still have this trans meant for 40 hp. Let me know if you need any help with any of this.

Metal396
Re: Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   9:07 PM     

Yeah i hardly know anything bout bugs, i am very interested in learning bout em though. My friend at school, his bug seems pretty quick but he mostly just does body work to it. He has like 4 other bugs, bodies only, sitting in his back yard.

How much do they weigh exactly? And i keep hearin that theyre relatively cheap to build up...... maybe i was hearin from the wrong people....

----------------------------------------------------
[External Image Removed]

Edited by Metal396 (Mon Apr 7, 03   9:13 PM)

LS4_454
Re: Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   9:13 PM     

www.kymcovw.com
www.aircooled.net
www.rockymountainmotorworks.com
www.fisherbuggies.com
www.hotvws.com
www.vwtrends.com

Gorgoth3k1

Re: Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   9:22 PM     

a friend of mine used to a a super beetle that was turned into a dune buggy.... it was fun in the mud... hehe...

them 1600cc engines... are those V configs or Inline and how many cylinders are in 'em?

I seem to remember someone having a bug with a 454 in it? I dont remember if he was on here or somewhere else... just remember hearing that somewheres...

-Gor

-------------------------------------------------------------
[External Image Removed]
Caddy 500ci. Fiero
LS4_454
Re: Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   9:40 PM     

Air cooled bugs are horizontilly opposed like a Subaru and they are 4 cyls.
There is a guy in the Valley here with a Hemi in a bug, very nice conversion, best I've ever seen. He made his own chassis and the body sits over it not on top of it like most.

BlownGTP

Re: Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Tue Apr 8, 03   8:22 AM     

I think old bugs are the shit. i just want one that will pull the front wheels off the ground half way down the track. hey LS4, is that your car in the video smoking that GN?

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
hooyeah
Re: Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Tue Apr 8, 03   1:02 PM     

not a v not an i it's an h engine (boxer)

LS4_454
Re: Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Tue Apr 8, 03   7:14 PM     

What video? I have some of my own videos when I raced at a local track smoking some old muscle cars.

hooyeah
Re: Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Tue Apr 8, 03   7:54 PM     

and if you aren't sure what an h engine is it was weird for me to grasp at first but picture an H (duh)

crank in the middle and a piston at each corner of the H
nicknamed boxer because of the straight out and straigt in motion of the pistons
in otherwords a 180 degree V type engine
im pretty sure thats why it makes for efficient air cooling because of the flat style air can flow all the way around the engine,,.....i think

BlownGTP

Re: Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Wed Apr 9, 03   7:40 AM     

its the video in this site. its on a dark road with a bunch of other street racers.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
SweetNeon

Re: Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Wed Apr 9, 03   6:14 PM     

porsche had factory fi set ups on sum of the 914s

LS4_454
Re: Anybody know much bout the VW/ Porshe flat 4's?   Posted Wed Apr 9, 03   7:39 PM     

That would be the VW fuel injection on the VW 914