This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 11337

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
JcAus
Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   2:04 AM     

Ok ok keep your slagging to a minimum please, I need some help in relation to Nitrous Oxide. I know that your first response is going to be NAAWWWWSSS and Rice boy rice boy etc, but right now I have the ability to pick up a named brand kit for dirt cheap.

Ok I am looking at getting a wet fogger system for my car, but also running a fuel cell with AVGAS for it. The size of the shot will be about 50 - 75 (40% of the HP that the car runs now), now my question is, what factors do I need to consider if any, as my car runs 11:1 compression? What things do I need to look out for?

Any help will be appreciated

----------------
Check it out it's like this....
If I lose, winner takes my happy meal.
But if I win, I take the burger AND the TOY!
To some people thats more important.
DieselGoPed

Re: Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   12:22 PM     

Er, nos makes our car go faster right?

--------------------------------------------------------------
50cc diesel powered tarmac eating slingshot.
I could beat any of you....Just bring it.
hooyeah
Re: Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   2:12 PM     

dude dopeddick you're an idiot. and jc the higher compression you may wanna watch out and if you rebuild the engine strenghten up that bottom end with only a 50-74 shot i don't think you'll have to much to worry about jsut get it set up right

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
MrPeabody

Re: Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   2:48 PM     

How stong is the motor stock? Anything forged ect ect? A 75 shot should be ok, I wouldn't push anymore...

-Ben

JcAus
Re: Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   6:39 PM     

Ben, the motor is pretty strong to begin with as the engines were designed for use as a race car.

I have done the math and I think I should be right with the 75 shot. The AVGAS burns hotter than the normal fuel but with the N2O it compensates and runs it cooler and they complement each other.

Jc

----------------
MrPeabody

Re: Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   8:41 PM     

Sweet dude...
Hey, know any good FTO links with detailed info on the car and development? I'm curious

-Ben

LS4_454
Re: Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   8:43 PM     

Get rid of the AVGAS, it is meant to burn at high altitudes (slowly) in a airplane, not on the ground. Invest in real racing fuel meant for cars like VP or Sunoco, AVGAS is a myth and made for planes, not cars.
If you run a seperate fuel pump have it wired in with the ignition, not on a seperate switch, but you'll remember to turn it on once the motor melts down.

JcAus
Re: Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Mon Apr 7, 03   11:01 PM     

Hmmmmm ok will look into the Race fuel. I will be connecting the extra fuel pump and the WOT trigger for the nitrous to the ignition.

Cheers Jc

----------------
Cutlass

Re: Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Tue Apr 8, 03   4:55 PM     

if you connect the fuel pump to the ignition it'll be on when the car is on, its not good to run a pump for no reason you'll burn it out quicker. i use a seperate fuel system for my nitrous system and i have the seperate pump hooked up to a toggle with an indicator light in the dash next to the arming switch for the nitrous so i remember to turn it on, plus after a while it becomes second nature. don't use AVGAS use racing fuel and keep it at 105 or better motor octane. you'll also want to have the timing retarded a bit from normal running usually about 2 degrees for every 50 hp of nitrous. i'm no nitrous expert but i've used it for the last 5 years with no issues what so ever.

-------------- 470 cubic inches of pissed off Oldsmobile.
JcAus
Re: Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Tue Apr 8, 03   5:51 PM     

I have been looking but I have not been able to work out what type of fuel pump and pressure regulator I need for a 75Shot kit.

If i can get the info for the pump would be good.
CHeers

Jc

----------------
LS4_454
Re: Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Tue Apr 8, 03   7:03 PM     

Also keep in mind when you start squeezing it to back off if it back fires through the intake cause you are too lean and you may hurt the motor. If the motor pulls nice and hard stay in it.

JcAus
Re: Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Tue Apr 8, 03   7:08 PM     

I have an AFR installed in my car and I have tried and tested it on a dyno with the oxygen sensor and it is pretty accurate, so I should be able to see if I am running lean, I think that I will do the same thing with the pump arming switch. I am trying to do it all properly so I dont fuck my motor.

Jc

----------------
Cutlass

Re: Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Tue Apr 8, 03   9:53 PM     

NOS tech book says 0.1 gph per horsepower. so you'd need a pump that can flow a whopping 7.5 gph at 5 psi. so basically you can use whatever type of aftermarket electric fuel pump and regulate it down to 5 psi and it'll be able to flow enough fuel for the nitrous system. there is a quote in the tech book that says you can use this type of nitrous system and supply it with you existing fuel system. to do that you'll need to know how much HP the motor itself makes then add the 75 HP shot of nitrous to that and multiply it by 0.1 and thats how much fuel supply you'd need for the whole deal, motor and bottle. an example they give is if a motor makes 250 hp when the nitrous system is activated you'd need at least 25 GPH of fuel, most fuel injection pumps are able to generate that without a problem, and if you have an adjustable regulator on your fuel pump you can increase it a bit if need be.

-------------- 470 cubic inches of pissed off Oldsmobile.
Milk

Re: Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Wed Apr 9, 03   4:57 PM     

I didnt bother reading the posts but on some Civic forum a dude put 18 PSi into his car wit the NOS
dont do more that 15
the dude got screwed

I like BMWs
MrPeabody

Re: Question about Nitrous Oxide   Posted Wed Apr 9, 03   5:47 PM     

Oh dear God did he just say that.... sigh.

-Ben

Pages in this thread: (1) 2