This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 511

uglystick
SS Tube Welding Questions...   Posted Mon Mar 24, 03   4:49 PM     

I've got a few questions about building a ss tube exhuast manifold. first project is going to be a six into two turbo header. second is going to be artistic and functional header set for the 327 in the jag. if i can pull those two off, i'll build a set of shorty's for my buddy's hurst olds rocket 350 mill.

here's the questions:

1. with the mig, what is my best bet for wire selection? it would be stainless tube 65 thousandths thick most likely.

2. joining two bends - do i flare the end of the downstream bend then fit them together and weld, or butt weld them together?

3. any other tips, etc? this will be a first for me. i'd like to see how well i can do with my existing tools (harbor freight hydrualic tubing bender & millermatic 135).

and no chad i can't afford a tig. not this time at least. maybe in the future when i get ready to do my aluminum widebody kit on the koop.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.6L Straight Six; Garrett GT35 Ball Bearing Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC