This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 8067

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
Phatmatt

Air/Fuel?   Posted Wed Mar 19, 03   3:05 PM     

ok so I'm driving the van today and it's not running right. It's laggy and stalled on me. I'm nearly 100percent sure that it's my air/fuel mixture. I'm not driving it until I figure out what's going on. However my Cyberdyne is telling me that it's all good. what do you guys think?

JcAus
Re: Air/Fuel?   Posted Wed Mar 19, 03   3:14 PM     

When was the last time that you changed your plugs?

Jc

----------------
Check it out it's like this....
If I lose, winner takes my happy meal.
But if I win, I take the burger AND the TOY!
To some people thats more important.
Phatmatt

Re: Air/Fuel?   Posted Wed Mar 19, 03   3:15 PM     

October of last year. I don't think it's the plugs.

JcAus
Re: Air/Fuel?   Posted Wed Mar 19, 03   3:21 PM     

I am no mechanic but what about the timing or something similar, I know that on the Honda that my friend and I worked on the timing was out a degree or so and it just kept stalling and shit
i dunno I am lost

What about shitty dirty fuel? the stuff that the ummmm....nevermind.....make

Jc

----------------
Check it out it's like this....
If I lose, winner takes my happy meal.
But if I win, I take the burger AND the TOY!
To some people thats more important.
uglystick
Re: Air/Fuel?   Posted Wed Mar 19, 03   3:46 PM     

what monitoring systems do you have for the air fuel ratio?

do you run a catalytic converter?

do you run any type of closed loop oxygen sensing system?

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.6L Straight Six; Garrett GT35 Ball Bearing Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
LS4_454
Re: Air/Fuel?   Posted Wed Mar 19, 03   9:25 PM     

Give us more details and what have you checked/done so far?

Phatmatt

Re: Air/Fuel?   Posted Thu Mar 20, 03   1:33 PM     

Yeah I run a cat converter. yes my 02 system is closed. I JUST bought a new Apexi AFC computer to manage the fuel. I thought MAYBE that was messed up, so I checked it with my old Cyberdyne Air/Fuel guage that never failed me before and it said it was fine. It ran ok, but later on it felt like it was running lean.

uglystick
Re: Air/Fuel?   Posted Thu Mar 20, 03   1:49 PM     

hmmm....fuckin technology.

do you have an 02 sensor after the cat? have you tapped on the cat to see if it's fracturing the porcelain biscuit inside and starting to clog?

that would affect your air fuel ratio, o2 sensor readings and a lot of other things including drivability.

hard to tell though. do you run a rising rate fuel pressure regulator or some kind of electronic 'fooler' control of the ecu?

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.6L Straight Six; Garrett GT35 Ball Bearing Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
Phatmatt

Re: Air/Fuel?   Posted Thu Mar 20, 03   4:08 PM     

AH, smart thinking on the cat... damn good thinking, that's just what I'll do.

I have a fooler on my computer.

sorry I have to make it short and sweet, but it's storming like hell right now.

uglystick
Re: Air/Fuel?   Posted Thu Mar 20, 03   4:18 PM     

i try. something very similar happened with my dodge. computer thought everything was fine too. would barely trigger the check engine light - only did it the first time, after that it didn't say shit even as the truck wouldn't pull at 1mph up a 1% incline.

the reason it's intermittant is because the biscuit is like a big extruded honeycomb...when it busts apart, the little chunks rotate around and when the honeycomb is parallel with the flow of the exhaust, you'd never know, but as it rotates perpendicular to the exhaust it pretty well chokes your vehicle.

as for the fooler, if IT is miscalibrated or simply misbehaving, it would never know the wiser afaik... only the main computer would know...you can't run the main computer without the fooler though at any speed can you?

jason

Phatmatt

Re: Air/Fuel?   Posted Thu Mar 20, 03   7:34 PM     

nope. it won't run without the fooler.

I'm going to stay home Saturday and spend all day checking every little thing (starting with the cat). I don't really know that much about computers so I'll help on that. Maybe it just hates the new computer.

thanks for all the help.

uglystick
Re: Air/Fuel?   Posted Fri Mar 21, 03   11:17 AM     

man that's the problem with the computers...unless you know machine code or some shit, diagnosing whether or not the box is working right is nearly impossible. is there tech support for that shit?

jason

Phatmatt

Re: Air/Fuel?   Posted Sat Mar 22, 03   12:36 PM     

I took it to mike today and told him to fix the computer. Told him everything I tried and what happened.

I don't like the fate of my vehicle in someonelses hands but Mike knows computers and made my MAP Sensor bleed so I'm not too nervous.

SweetNeon

Re: Air/Fuel?   Posted Sat Mar 22, 03   9:57 PM     

when you say its running shity, is it runing shity like it has a miss runing shity? does it have a check engine light on? if so what codes came up?

Phatmatt

Re: Air/Fuel?   Posted Sun Mar 23, 03   9:47 AM     

it didn't give me ANY indication that something was wrong. (no engine light, the cyberdyne said it was fine) The only think that tipped me off that something was wrong was the crappy way it ran. It almost is like all of a sudden no gas was getting to the engine.

Mike should be done with it monday though. We'll see if it was the computer after all.

Pages in this thread: (1) 2