This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 1981

Gorgoth3k1

Stubborn Exhaust Bolts   Posted Sun Mar 16, 03   9:56 PM     

Ok... i'm trying to pull this exhaust system on the fiero apart and it is being the biggest bitch in the world... I really do not think these bolts have been taken off since the car was built.... None of the oils or de-oxidizer's have worked worth shit and even with massive amounts of torque from myself and my brother-in-law trying to turn these bolts at the same time will loose them... Upon inspection it appears as if these bolts have been pressure welded and corroded together....

Do any of y'all know of any manner or ways that i may cut these bolts off without using a sawzall or torch? I'm thinking that once i get the time i may be able to rig something up to get unfounded amounts of torque on that nut and maybe help to loose it... i'm also gonna try and soak it for a couple days in some de-oxidizer and see if that helps any... I want to preserve the threads on the exhaust cross-over pipe if at all possible...

What would y'all suggest i try?

-Gor

-------------------------------------------------------------
[External Image Removed]
Caddy 500ci. Fiero
SweetNeon

Re: Stubborn Exhaust Bolts   Posted Sun Mar 16, 03   10:08 PM     

a big hammer and some wd40

hooyeah
Re: Stubborn Exhaust Bolts   Posted Mon Mar 17, 03   1:12 PM     

if you have a torch use it to heat up the bolts then they should come off alot easier had to do it to a car today it ended up pulling the whol stud out with it but it did the job

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Satanismycopilot
Re: Stubborn Exhaust Bolts   Posted Mon Mar 17, 03   2:29 PM     

did you try putting a long pipe over the wrench and use it as a big ass breaker bar?

Re: Stubborn Exhaust Bolts   Posted Mon Mar 17, 03   5:18 PM     

I used about a 2' breaker bar, but clearence inhibits me from using anything larger than that...

I dont have a torch at my disposal, but i may just try WD-40 and a hammer or i'll resort to a sawzall and fab some new brackets for the crossover pipe...

-Gor

[External Image Removed]
Caddy 500ci. Fiero
LS4_454
Re: Stubborn Exhaust Bolts   Posted Mon Mar 17, 03   8:58 PM     

Just what Hooyeah said, HEAT (keep a fire extinguisher handy!), maybe even cherry red. Soak it all week in WD-40 then use the heat. Work it back and forth, nice and easy. Can you get a swing at the bolt heads? If you can hit the bolt heads with hammer, this will put a shockwave through the bolts/threads and break up the rust a little. The time you spend being careful will beat the time it takes to remove the broken bolts from the heads.

hooyeah
Re: Stubborn Exhaust Bolts   Posted Tue Mar 18, 03   1:06 PM     

you don't need a huge oxyacetyline torch try just a regular propane torch will work just take alot longer if you don't have even a little torch buy one you'll love it

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Gorgoth3k1

Re: Stubborn Exhaust Bolts   Posted Tue Mar 18, 03   5:47 PM     

I'll go check in my dad's shop for a small torch... i know i dont have one, but he might in one of his camping packs or something...

But ya.. i've been soaking it with WD-40 and this weekend i'll smack it with a hammer, heat it up and try again... hopefully it isn't raining... its been raining all week down here...

-Gor

[External Image Removed]
Caddy 500ci. Fiero
BlownGTP

Re: Stubborn Exhaust Bolts   Posted Tue Mar 18, 03   6:01 PM     

one of these days it will just bust loose.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
SweetNeon

Re: Stubborn Exhaust Bolts   Posted Sat Mar 22, 03   10:10 PM     

you could also just get some kind of cuting wheel and cut as much as it as you can, then drill a hole throu the rusted shit and just run a bolt and nut, what exhast system bolt are we talking about?

Gorgoth3k1

Re: Stubborn Exhaust Bolts   Posted Sun Mar 23, 03   10:03 PM     

It was the bolts that connect the catalytic converter to the exhaust manifold crossover pipe... I loosed them yesterday... been soaking the fuckers in WD-40 all week and about a pint of blood (god-damned flywheel.. hehe...) and gallons of sweat and tears later them sone bitches came out... I didnt have any form of a torch (other than a charcoal lighter and some matches which i didnt even bother trying... LOL..) but i rigged up my ratchet to a massive breaker bar and used a about 3 extensions and finally got 'em to break loose... but of course that was AFTER i busted the shit out of my hands on them sharp ass edges of the flywheel when i was using all my might to loose the sucker and the socket slipped off the bolt and my hand went flyin right into that edge... hurt like a bitch... but i conqured them bolts... LOL... i'm just damn glad they didnt snap and totally fuck up the threads... that woulda been a pain in the ass and i wouldnt be able to get nearly as much $$$ as i can get for that crossover pipe now... altho i now have a problem with manifold bolts snapping in the cylinder heads... i mean... i just touched the fuckin bolts and the disintegrated.... it was kind of scary and funny at the same time... especially since i was going to buy this same car as a daily driver for 5 times what i ended up paying for it after it blew the heater core and snapped a rod while i was test-driving it... LOL... i ended up buying it for VERY cheap with the trashed engine that i can now part out completely... i'm just glad it broke when it did or my daily driver woulda been a REAL headache... i mean... this car must have had its oil changed every... ohh... well... probably 30,000 miles... hehe...

-Gor

[External Image Removed]
Caddy 500ci. Fiero