This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 8734

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
Phatmatt

4.6 V8   Posted Thu Mar 6, 03   7:38 PM     

ok so my father must have gone insane. He asked if he could use my van to haul some drywall home. I let him. I go out for the evening with my buddies and lady friend, I get back and the drywall is home, but strangely my van is not, nor is my father.

My mother informs me that he took the van back out and has been gone for an hour. About 30 minutes later he comes rolling back in and asks me if I would work on his crown victoria (WHICH I ASKED HIM ABOUT FOREVER). I don't know why he decided to go cruising in my van when he already knew what it could do, or why he's had a change of heart, but I'm not going to let this opportunity go buy.

SO what do you know about Ford's 4.6 V8. What is it capable of? What do you reccomend? What do you think? We've got a 4.6 in the GT too, but my father said "let's take this one step at a time." I'm obviously thinking a supercharger, but I wonder what you guys thing on the whole.

hooyeah
Re: 4.6 V8   Posted Thu Mar 6, 03   7:46 PM     

well i don't know much about ferds but i'd say the easiest route would be a supercharger new cobras get 390 hp not sure if thats the 4.6 or noti'd probably go with the obvious first though let thast sucker breat and open up the exhaust emissions are nonexistant in michigan anyway right?

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Phatmatt

Re: 4.6 V8   Posted Thu Mar 6, 03   7:58 PM     

yup. We hate our air and don't care what we do to it. I actually am getting a hole new exsaust system for it this weekend.

hooyeah
Re: 4.6 V8   Posted Thu Mar 6, 03   8:00 PM     

i'm not too sure if they offer stroker kits for engines that small personally i'd swap in a 5.0 or 5.8 or ford performance 460 but thats just me

Phatmatt

Re: 4.6 V8   Posted Thu Mar 6, 03   8:01 PM     

I suppose I could but my dad doesn't want something that'll kill everything else on the street I don't think. and I'm not interested in him having a car faster than me.

MrPeabody

Re: 4.6 V8   Posted Thu Mar 6, 03   9:26 PM     

What's with you guys over there and fast land yachts???

-Ben

storm

Re: 4.6 V8   Posted Fri Mar 7, 03   2:52 AM     

for a start, it depends on how much cash u want to put into it.
for a start i'd get a strong drive shaft, piston's, piston rings, rods, SOHC try a pretty big one, holley carb, supercharger(for me i'd get 30 psi but i won't give him that), i don't know what car really we are talking about but im guessing it's a 70's or 80's carb 4.6litre engine coz i don't know car i don't know what really to make it faster or give it a bit more nm, if it's heavy u could try getting most torque out of the thing as possible, and car will feel fast and have enough for him, torque is much more then hp, what i gave u would be a start, and then maybe change the max rpm of the car to run at 6500-7000rpm, and my guess is he just wants it to have a bit of power taking off and little drags here and there so maybe if u can figure this out is mph i'd put top speed to about 200kph he would'nt go over that most of time and less top speed will bring better accel for drags upto that speed but i don't think he will bring it over that, maybe even a 9 inch diff would go down well with that too, if he wants auto a 4 speed should be alright if he wants man for for 5 speed i think 6 speed would not be suitable for that sort of car and the driving im guessing what he'll be doing, i could name alot of things but since i don't know what really the car is much and u not really wanting him to have to faster car, so im prob not on point with what im saying coz i don't know car but, i've sort of set base lines...sort of, that will make the car stronger but not that fast but not that slow, just what im thinking anyway im a little bored so i decided i'd reply.

MrPeabody

Re: 4.6 V8   Posted Fri Mar 7, 03   10:53 AM     

I believe it's a newer crown vic, so it would be fuel injected.

-Ben

hooyeah
Re: 4.6 V8   Posted Fri Mar 7, 03   2:18 PM     

and the crownvics are good for around 240 kph

Phatmatt

Re: 4.6 V8   Posted Fri Mar 7, 03   3:07 PM     

yeah it's a 99. I was I was thinking a cobra jet and new exsaust (I'll have to becasue that little one won't do). He says I'll have about 2000 to play with. So I'm pleased. Maybe with whatever I have left over I'll just install an Nitrous system if I'm not satisfied with how quick it is.

He's not willing to cut down on it's weight, so I need to pump the HP as much as I can. I'm going for about 425hp. But I think I can do better.

hooyeah
Re: 4.6 V8   Posted Fri Mar 7, 03   3:24 PM     

well you can always pick up 2 2.2 turbos from a junkyard and run all custom piping custom twin turbo crownvic should be good for a bit of power if you do it right and then it's a turbo too

MrPeabody

Re: 4.6 V8   Posted Fri Mar 7, 03   4:30 PM     

But how would the stock engine handle under boost? If he wants to spend 2 G's, and to keep the thing streetable? Turbo might not factor in... if yes, then sweet. Turbo Crown Vic sounds pretty sweet

-Ben

hooyeah
Re: 4.6 V8   Posted Fri Mar 7, 03   7:39 PM     

i'm sure it could handle 6-10 psi without too much problem

storm

Re: 4.6 V8   Posted Fri Mar 7, 03   8:29 PM     

well see told u i don't know much about that car, but know i know a little more i will try find out some stuff i might get back to ya's on it but just do a few things you did to the van on it or think of some stuff anyway

Phatmatt

Re: 4.6 V8   Posted Fri Mar 7, 03   9:30 PM     

well I've got abvious things to replace and improve upon, but I was just wondering if you guys had any radical ideas or strong opinoins. thanks

Pages in this thread: (1) 2