This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 867

Gorgoth3k1

My Fiero   Posted Sun Feb 2, 03   9:15 PM     

Looks like i now have a whole new set of problems with the fiero....

I was going to mount the 350 transversely using the TH125 Auto tranny with a bit more beef, but it doens't seem that route is going to work out at all... A friend of mine is using a setup VERY similar to the one i was thinking about using and he also spent nearly 3grand beefing up his 125.... now... he took it to the track recently and he turned that transmission to spirally pieces of metal during his 1-2 shift.... his fiero was putting out about 400 horses and he might have used a nitrous start, but that tranny lasted i think 2 or 3 hard runs....

now... my alternative...

I know where i can get a 1973 Cadillac Eldorado for $500 with a good running engine and a TH-425 tranny with a POSI dif.... and this caddy also has a 500 CID V8 that weighs about 50lbs more than a stock SBC and that is with iron heads, manifolds, and intake... Now.. the only problem with this setup is the fact that i'll have to install it longitudinally instead of transversely which means i'm gonna have to cut out the trunk... Also... If i can rotate the engine assembly 180 degrees and put the pulleys towad the back of the car that will give me about 100lbs more to the front of the axles instead of having it behind the rear axles... now that in itself creates many different problems... for one i'll have to somehow rotate the dif upside down so the car will go forward instead of backward when i stomp on the gas... hehe....

anywho... from the people i've been speaking to about this, the consensus is that longitudinal is really the only way to go with a hi-po V8 in a fiero 'cuz a lot of torque will just rip the fiero transmission to shreds and the 406 i've been eyein to put in the fiero has a lot of torque...

what do you guys think? I can do the entire installation for around 7 or 800 bucks, but that doesn't include the new gears for the tranny (which i think has 3.07:1) that I will need to upgrade to 3.5:1 which will cost about a grand.... Altho also if i go this route i'll have to fabricate my own headers or pay someone TONS of $$$ to make them and I'll have to heavily modify the deck lid of the fiero b/c the longitudinal engines will not fit under them.... and there is a pretty good aftermarket for these 500's except for aluminum heads... couldnt find any of those...

The 500 I was just talkin to a friend about today so i'm considering it.... but no matter what i will definitely be mounting the engine longitudinally b/c i dont want to have to buy a new tranny every month....

This is just somethin i was thinkin about today.... what y'all think? 400 horses and nearly 600 lb/ft of torque stock are pretty good numbers for that 500....

-Gor

hooyeah
Re: My Fiero   Posted Sun Feb 2, 03   9:58 PM     

i say go for it be patient and do it right thats a hell of a nice engine combo for that little car..it may take a bit longer but thats fine take your time do it right the first time and you got one hell of a sleeper except for that big block rumble

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Gorgoth3k1

Re: My Fiero   Posted Mon Feb 3, 03   3:28 PM     

Ya... as long as they dont notice the difference in the deck lid once i modify it....

but ya.... the biggest thing i'm gonna have to work on is the stall converter.... i've heard that it is possible in some trannys to rig up some kind of switch so i dont have to take off like a bat outta hell every time i hit 2500 rpm 'cuz with that much torque i'm afraid of the front wheels comin off the ground if i take off real hard....

even with a stall converter can you still take off REAL slow? If I can't i'm gonna have to take the 2500 stall off that tranny if I want to drive this car around town....

But ya... $1000 to upgrade that tranny to a 3.50:1 POSI that is just about indestructible is badass and much more feasible than spendin $2500 beefin up a 125 and having to fix it or buy a new tranny every month...

But i wish i could get some pictures of that tranny when he ripped it to shreds.... I mean the case has a HUGE crack in it.... looks like it sent a couple gears THROUGH the case or somethin.... but he tore that shit up hardcore...

-Gor

Gorgoth3k1

Re: My Fiero   Posted Thu Feb 6, 03   10:21 PM     

Oh... and I was talkin to a friend of mine who has a fiero with 500 horses and 550 lb/ft torque and a 125 shot of nitrous and he said that the take off and 1-2 shift is hard, but the wheels never come off the ground... so i won't have to worry SO much about that...

-Gor

-------------------------------------------------------------
[External Image Removed]
Caddy 500ci. Fiero