This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 7144

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
HavHav
New To Street Racing   Posted Wed Jan 1, 03   5:32 PM     

Hello, Im Turning 15 in febuary, and i can get my permit in september...I really like the idea of street racin, and i want to get into it more...at midnight around here theres never cars on the streets (Gilbert, Arizona) and i was wonderin what a good car would be to start out with. plz dont flame me!

Stryker
Re: New To Street Racing   Posted Wed Jan 1, 03   5:35 PM     

Sorry kid, but you don't have a license yet, so you gonna get flamed...
First off...Don't start street racin till ya have a few years experience drivin. That's how people get killed, and the reason that cops bust us...
Get a junker for your first car. Then, buy a decent muscle car to work on. Drive the junker around while you are fixin up the muscle car. Then, after you KNOW HOW TO DRIVE, turn the muscle loose and rip up the rice on the streets.

~~~::<Curtis Stryker>::~~~
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
hooyeah
Re: New To Street Racing   Posted Wed Jan 1, 03   5:46 PM     

oh boy

8 valve OHC 4 cyl 95 cubic inches of pissed off pontiac power 65 HP 80 ft-lbs w/Borg-Warner T5 2300lbs
VROOMMMM!
Stryker
Re: New To Street Racing   Posted Wed Jan 1, 03   5:48 PM     

BOY bein the key word there...Come bak when you are at least 16...

~~~::<Curtis Stryker>::~~~
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
Bombadier

Re: New To Street Racing   Posted Wed Jan 1, 03   6:51 PM     

no doubt......
you'll need at LEAST five years of driving under your belt to even begin thinking about street RACING.......
And then you'll need a decent job; a good collection of tools; a place to work on your car; a working knowledge of engines, fuel systems, suspensions, electricity; connections with parts suppliers...... and later on, sponsors for your increasing involvement in the sport.

It's cool you want to get involved with racing, but GranTurismo and TestDrive doesn't count towards actual experience. So come back when you're 16.

If it ain't broke, upgrade!
-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-
"Nothing is true, Everything is permitted"
LS4_454
Re: New To Street Racing   Posted Wed Jan 1, 03   7:03 PM     

Go over to Chandler and take some driving lessons at the Bob Bondurant school, they have a good class for people your age, they show you all kinds of good things. Then you can go back Friday night and try racing at the drag strip, always know the number your car can run.
You may want to start with a '87-'88 5.0 Mustang, easy HP and plentiful cars should make it easy to find at a reasonable price.

hooyeah
Re: New To Street Racing   Posted Wed Jan 1, 03   7:22 PM     

most drag strips won't let you run unless you hjave a license and parentla permission

8 valve OHC 4 cyl 95 cubic inches of pissed off pontiac power 65 HP 80 ft-lbs w/Borg-Warner T5 2300lbs
VROOMMMM!
Metal396
Re: New To Street Racing   Posted Wed Jan 1, 03   11:10 PM     

i just got home from work and heard the news, my sister's sister-in-law (think about that one, may be hard to understand ) took my sister's car out with some friends... shes 14 i think... .being underage, and being a GIRL dont mix when it comes to driving!!!! yeah she wrecked the car..... TYPICAL,

so unless you have your lisence and have driving experience dont even try to street race.... and be a smart spectator if one at all....

Oh and dont be a ricer! thats a terrible driving style.... its no driving style, its just consentrated stupidity behind the wheel of a vehicle!

----------------------------------------------------
Yeah Yeah, your car is better...... FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!
[External Image Removed]
HavHav
Re: New To Street Racing   Posted Thu Jan 2, 03   7:05 PM     

k, thanks. my dad has a 69 Mustang Coupe with a V8 302 ci (around there) and it shakes the windows when he starts it. runs wonderfully. yea you guys are right, and anyways i wasnt going to start right at 16, i was thinkin like 19. cuase i can get a job around here at 16 or 17. Theres alota street races around here at night, u can hear em. alota straight long smooth roads too. (here comes my stupid question) i know u can get better preformace with a manual transmission, but whats that affect with the cars acceleration. i know its quicker, my sisters friend has a manual and it can accelerate quickly, but sometimes it stalls (i guess thats the word) thanks for the advice people. and i already got about $2000 for my car saved up btw.

hooyeah
Re: New To Street Racing   Posted Thu Jan 2, 03   7:11 PM     

it stalls because she doesn't know how to fucking drive the little sonofabitch

VROOMMMM!
Gorgoth3k1

Re: New To Street Racing   Posted Thu Jan 2, 03   10:49 PM     

ya... manuals only stall if you can't drive for shit.... 'cuz if it stalls it generally means you let out on the clutch too much and didnt give it enuf gas... so when it stalls it just means you need to learn to drive...

-Gor

Metal396
Re: New To Street Racing   Posted Thu Jan 2, 03   11:43 PM     

haha theyre right about that one.... but manual transmissions usually have more gears, and lower gear ratios in first and second, than autos.... so the lower the gear ratio the better off the line acceleration there generally will be, but ur gunna have to shift fast to keep the acceleration steady.

using the clutch takes skill and practice... and almost every car is alittle different... once ur used to it its real simple.... the more u know about how a car and its parts work, the better driver u will be (usually the case), and that includes how clutches work, so u know how do drive manual better.... http://www.howstuffworks.com/clutch1.htm

people need to know these things..... lol

----------------------------------------------------
Yeah Yeah, your car is better...... FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!
[External Image Removed]
hooyeah
Re: New To Street Racing   Posted Fri Jan 3, 03   2:00 AM     

hell i didn't even know half that shit

VROOMMMM!
1000hpsbchevyFOR

Re: New To Street Racing   Posted Fri Jan 3, 03   8:06 AM     

Im sorry but in drag racing automatics are preferred, less variables. and if your talking all auto race, you aren't gonna beat a Lenco or a spragless Owens, if you think your feet and hands are faster than your thumbs then your in denial or maybe just missinformed. When I say thumbs I mean compressed air.

And I agree with metal396 when he said that it takes skill to drive a stick. Kinda sucks in stop and go traffic.

If you want to be consistant and you want your car to be predictable get an automatic, convert it to manual valvebody and have fun.

Out here street racing is boring, all we have is a bunch of ricers acting like morons with their park bench wings, shiny fart cannons and rediculous body kits.

All I can say is if you want a more modern horse power plant to move you along at a reasonable pace go LS1 or the new generation LS6. They can be retrofitted into just about anything. I'm contemplating getting a LS1 and stuffing it in my Nova. I've seen some numbers on N/A LS1's upwards of 700 Horses with room to grow. You can buy a slightly used LS1 with the pcm and the wiring harness for around 3-5 grand. And some come with trannys, but i dont think to highly of the 460le, and you can do better with a th 400 for less money.

If your interested here are some sites to start yourself out with: www.LS1.com and www.LS1tech.com

Oh and one more thing wait until you have a reasonable amount of driving experience to go tear up and down your streets.

Who has the fastest toys and why do I?
Gorgoth3k1

Re: New To Street Racing   Posted Fri Jan 3, 03   5:16 PM     

ya.. i'd say lenco's are the best.. lol... but most of us dont have the cash to spend on a lenco...

but ya.. in stop and go traffic with a clutch that takes both feet to engage (as per my friends GT500) it really sux... but otherwise i love driving a manual... i'm weird this way, but i like being able to feel that i can control the car... also why i hate cruise control other than long ass road trips...

and i like them Ferrari F1 trannys.. hehe... but i REALLY dont have the cash for that.. lol...

now for rally racing or AutoX i like manuals best... i've never drivin a spragless owens or lenco, but i know with a manual i will always be in control of the heel-toe double declutches and downshifts and controlling it as best as possible which i can't do with an automatic...

-Gor

Pages in this thread: (1) 2