This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 5587

2000EclipseGT

What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Tue Dec 17, 02   9:53 AM     

Learning more about cars here. I found out that a late model mustang GT has a single 65mm throttle body, and a bullitt has dual 57mm throttle bodies, meaning obviously 114mm.

How does this work? I'm a fool.

Thanks guys!

hooyeah
Re: What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Tue Dec 17, 02   1:47 PM     

throttle bodies are sort of like a fuel injected carb to put it simply theres injectors that squitrt fuel into a carb type thing

8 valve OHC 4 cyl 95 cubic inches of pissed off pontiac power 65 HP 80 ft-lbs w/Borg-Warner T5 2300lbs
VROOMMMM!
MrPeabody

Re: What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Tue Dec 17, 02   3:15 PM     

Like hooyeah said, it's basically a smaller carburator, the difference is, fuel isn't injected through jets in the throttle body it'self (such as a carburetor), the injectors are located further down , either two right before the intake manifold runners, (which would be dual point injection such as my car's or early 90's chevy silverado's), or what's most common and has better performance results is an injector on each intake runner per cylinder that botls to the engine's head, this would be multi point fuel injection.

-Ben

uglystick
Re: What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Tue Dec 17, 02   4:12 PM     

a throttle body generally (on fuel injected vehicles) is a butterfly valve with a throttle position sensor and idle air control valve.

throttle body injected (TBI) vehicles also have one injector per throat.

jason

'75 BMW 3.0 CS - Terribly Un-stock.
LS4_454
Re: What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Tue Dec 17, 02   10:08 PM     

Just to add a little more to what has been said. A throttle body basically controls the air flow into the engine depending on how heavy your right foot is, so the bigger the throttle body the more air is let into the motor. If the air is coming through a air mass meter then it registers how much air is coming through to change the fuel mixture. One injector per cylinder is the only way to go.

uglystick
Re: What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Wed Dec 18, 02   8:01 AM     

unless you go two fuel injectors per cylinder and one alcohol/water injector per cylinder. ;-)

hey ls4! i got the haltech e6k & a turbo for my e9 (t3/t4 hybrid most likely)!!! my friend ben is putting a 5.0l V12 into his e9...it's on!

jason

1000hpsbchevyFOR

Re: What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Wed Dec 18, 02   8:15 AM     

On the fueler that I helped out with (rest in peices) there was 4 or 6 injectors per cylinder, it was expensive to make 1 pass down the track cause it used about 9 gallons of nitromethane in a pass. calculated out to about 100-150 bucks in fuel per pass. Not to menton parts if something happened.

Gallons per mile is what we measure by.

Who has the fastest toys and why do I?
LS4_454
Re: What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Wed Dec 18, 02   10:48 PM     

E9? Is that the body code for that old 3.0 of yours? He should also use the H31 brake system to get rid of that three foot longer booster assemble to make room for that V12. Does he also have the harness and control modules for that thing? Send me some pics of that when done, should be sweet!

LS4_454
Re: What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Wed Dec 18, 02   10:52 PM     

Oh, I had to drive a E39 M5 home to check for a slipping clutch, life sucks sometimes!

uglystick
Re: What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Thu Dec 19, 02   1:14 AM     

ahh what a bitch. and yeah, we're both going hydro brakes (is that what H31 is?)...mine is done. waiting on one line to be fabricated.

i talked to ray korman today and he also sent their custom intake with an integrated water to air intercooler. darn. ;-)

jason

LS4_454
Re: What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Thu Dec 19, 02   7:59 PM     

Yes,
The H31 has the hydraulic brake booster and regulator with the nitrogen sphere underneath it. Make sure that it still has a good charge in it or the booster wont work well. With the engine off you should be able to pump the brake pedal 10-12 times then the fuild should be about 25mm from the top of the power steering reservoir. If it is already there with the engine off then you have too much fuild in it.

uglystick
Re: What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Fri Dec 20, 02   11:04 AM     

i'll be getting it all bracketed and ready for fluid here pretty soon then i'll reference you on the process of checking it out. i know i can get another nitro sphere if necessary for not that much...

jason

Project Junkyard Greyhound - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; Korman Twin Turbo Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Single T3/T4 Turbo w/ Rayjay Adjustible Wastegate; Haltech E6K
SweetNeon

Re: What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Tue Dec 24, 02   6:33 PM     

how fucking stupid can you be? mustangs dont inject fuel into a carb type thing lol, learn some thing before you start runing your god dam mouth with bull shit flyin out, lame little boy

LS4_454
Re: What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Tue Dec 24, 02   8:52 PM     

Obviously Neon got his Mac fixed, too bad Hooyeah didn't mention that he was talking about a Mustang and just a type if TBI. Go back to your fantasy race shop Neon, were's those pics? No proof, no truth.

SweetNeon

Re: What is a Throttle Body, and how does it work?   Posted Wed Dec 25, 02   9:00 AM     

the computer at my pad doesnt work, i am in the valley useing a friends computer, Hoya didnt mention any thing else cuz he doesnt know any thing. ya can wrap your mouth around the tail pipe of the 996 i worked on last week for all i care, im not in no hurry to get these pictures developed cuz i still have 9 more to take on that film, but dont worry i will post pictures soon enough of the cars you wish you could one day ever sit in let alone drive ya jellous hater