This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 4944

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
MrPeabody

Fiero Question.   Posted Sun Nov 17, 02   8:06 PM     

Hey,
A bud of mine has a fiero and i'm trying to find out how much that Northstar swap costs...

-Ben

hooyeah
Re: Fiero Question.   Posted Sun Nov 17, 02   8:26 PM     

atleast 8 grand

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
VROOMMMM!
hooyeah
Re: Fiero Question.   Posted Sun Nov 17, 02   8:28 PM     

do a search of the forums for Drag cars you'll find all your info there

VROOMMMM!
hooyeah
Re: Fiero Question.   Posted Sun Nov 17, 02   8:30 PM     

oh and by the way supercharged 3.8 will make some very good power seems liek an easier swap for less money and also won't totally fuck over your weight distribution so you'll still be able to turn corners too

VROOMMMM!
MrPeabody

Re: Fiero Question.   Posted Mon Nov 18, 02   12:19 PM     

Cool, thanks.

-Ben

Gorgoth3k1

Re: Fiero Question.   Posted Wed Nov 20, 02   7:54 PM     

hey... sorry i didnt see this earlier... hehe... damn calculus shit... lol...

the Norhtstar conversion kit itself is around $5grand... but then you also would need to acquire the engine which will usually run around $3grand if you get a good deal.... I know a few people that were gonna sell me a complete Northstar for $1grand... but I still didnt have that much money... lol...

www.designonesystems.com they're the ppl that make the Northstar kit... they quote it to be around $4,000-$6,000, so I would guess around $5grand...

Hooyeah- the V8 really doesn't do that much to your weight distribution... i've been researching it and i think the SBC will add around 150 some-odd poundage to the car, and the Northstar is only a 4.7L engine v. the 5.7L SBC that 150lbs was from... I've been researching making these V8 Fieros have awesome handling and what i've heard is that once you master the SEVERE oversteer, the fiero is a badass car to AutoX and such... I've also been told of a few mods I can do to the front suspension to help out with the handling... y'kno... to counteract the oversteer...

but ya... i've recently been thinking i wanna set the car up so I can kick ass in a drag race when I want to, but then also be able to road race and AutoX.... its just been a thought...

but ya... Peabody... if you have anymore questions about fieros, just ask man... you can get me on my email at gorgoth3k1@hotmail.com or you can just post here... i've been researching fieros for over a year and have been working on them for nearly a year.... and If I dont know something, I can ask a few of my friends who have been fiero fans since 1984....

-Gor

hooyeah
Re: Fiero Question.   Posted Wed Nov 20, 02   8:22 PM     

i think that the setup would be actually very unpredictable oversteer because of the whole horsepower thingy and understeer because of weight transfer ya figure under acceleration 65+% of the weight would be on the rear wheels would be a very hard to figure out car

8 valve OHC 4 cyl 95 cubic inches of pissed off pontiac power 65 HP 80 ft-lbs w/Borg-Warner T5 2300lbs
[External Image Removed]
VROOMMMM!
Gorgoth3k1

Re: Fiero Question.   Posted Wed Nov 20, 02   8:39 PM     

I know with the V6 and that 3800 supercharged (i driven both in AutoX) you can estimate the oversteer and do some badass drift-racing...i've never driven one of the V8 cars... but I believe you can modify the front suspension to counter-act the over steer... dont remember what its called.. but make the front wheels look like this //----\\ friend of mine told me that would help out with the oversteer, and i really dont think understeer would be any problem... all the weight of the engine is in FRONT of the rear axle...

but ya... supposedly i can get this thing handling well... and I'm aiming at around 450-500 N/A BHP, but I eventually want to either put a blower on it or twin turbo... leanin more toward the blower tho...

-Gor

hooyeah
Re: Fiero Question.   Posted Wed Nov 20, 02   8:40 PM     

camber will slightly help handling will kill the fuck out of your tires

8 valve OHC 4 cyl 95 cubic inches of pissed off pontiac power 65 HP 80 ft-lbs w/Borg-Warner T5 2300lbs
[External Image Removed]
VROOMMMM!
Gorgoth3k1

Re: Fiero Question.   Posted Wed Nov 20, 02   8:47 PM     

camber... thats what its called.. .lol... couldn't remember...

but ya... it will fuck up my tires, but i'm not gonna run the tires like that every time i take the car out...

-Gor

hooyeah
Re: Fiero Question.   Posted Wed Nov 20, 02   9:04 PM     

so you're gonna change your suspension settings before and after each outo cross?

[External Image Removed]
VROOMMMM!
Gorgoth3k1

Re: Fiero Question.   Posted Wed Nov 20, 02   9:28 PM     

pretty much... i mean... it a'int that bad and there's over a month between each autoX meet... so it really isn't that bad... and the front suspension i have in that car isn't that hard to change and shit...

-Gor

MrPeabody

Re: Fiero Question.   Posted Thu Nov 21, 02   12:02 AM     

There's some pretty kick ass suspension setups that you can drive daily just fine on your tires, then take it to the track and adjust it in no time. That's what i'm shooting for on my car, I also plan to Autocross...

-Ben

uglystick
Re: Fiero Question.   Posted Thu Nov 21, 02   8:29 AM     

i just got the front k-mac adjustible strut bearing plates for my bimmer. camber adjustible on the fly.

we'll see how the install goes/how hard they are to work with. i'm getting a self camber gauge, but from what i hear they're not as reliable as they should be.

jason

'75 BMW 3.0 CS - Terribly Un-stock.
MrPeabody

Re: Fiero Question.   Posted Thu Nov 21, 02   8:42 AM     

Sounds cool, hope they work
I'm planning on getting a camber kit, Skunk2 coilovers, Tokiko 5 ways, and 22 mm sway bar out back. Probobly get like 350 lbs. up front and 550 or so out back, (get rid of that factory understeer

-Ben

Pages in this thread: (1) 2