This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 7378

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
BlownGTP

Propane injection?   Posted Tue Nov 5, 02   7:44 AM     

ive been thinking about going to a smaller pulley on my s/c to make some more boost. ive been looking into it and they say that if i go any lower, i will start to get knocking and pinging. I hear that the propane witll counter act this problem. has anybody read anything about this or seen anything like this? i would just adjust the timing but i can only go so far. any coments would be great.

--------------------------------------------------------------ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
uglystick
Re: Propane injection?   Posted Tue Nov 5, 02   10:05 AM     

i've seen a few lpg setups, both on diesels and on engines, but never in conjunction with gasoline. it's either with a diesel or by itself as a diesel like gas substitute (ie it's cheap, it runs on super high diesel like compression, and it gets good mpg.)

i think you might be misled on this one. your best bet (assuming nobody here knows the answer) would be to go to a banks turbo site or something of the like and ask around for the people who make the injection systems for diesels, and ask them directly.

jason

'75 BMW 3.0 CS - Terribly Un-stock.
hooyeah
Re: Propane injection?   Posted Tue Nov 5, 02   1:46 PM     

only seen it used on a deisel as a power adder type thing and cab companies use it

ford racing the biggest oxymoron EVER!
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
resident chevette lover!

future chevette lover ->> [External Image Removed]
BlownGTP

Re: Propane injection?   Posted Tue Nov 5, 02   4:53 PM     

as much as i might hate to admit this, maybe sweet neon would have an answer for me. what do you think neon?

--------------------------------------------------------------ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
uglystick
Re: Propane injection?   Posted Tue Nov 5, 02   5:06 PM     

you mean the guy who was contemplating injecting pure oxygen into his combustion chambers? call banks, ask them who makes propane injection systems, then call that company and ask them your question. otherwise, you're gonna get a half assed answer.

jason

uglystick
Re: Propane injection?   Posted Tue Nov 5, 02   5:07 PM     

why not heptane or something else like that?

jason

Satanismycopilot
Re: Propane injection?   Posted Tue Nov 5, 02   8:15 PM     

from what i have seen and read propane injection is purley for diesel engine....acts like nitrous does to a car except i dont think as extreme.
unless of course u r running purely on propane

Re: Propane injection?   Posted Sat Nov 9, 02   5:33 PM     

the pure oxygen is only being used in small ammounts to even out my a/f ratio

SweetNeon

Re: Propane injection?   Posted Sat Nov 9, 02   5:34 PM     

i dunno cant help you

Bombadier

Re: Propane injection?   Posted Sat Nov 9, 02   6:06 PM     

you can convert a gas engine into a straight propane-burning mill with only moderate modifications, different heads, pistons and valves, there are websites with more info on that....... the biggest problems are
A. gas flow / throttle regulation
B. It's hard to tell how much gas you have left in a tank
C. Propane may be cheap, but in an engine not built for propane, or a large displacment engine, it's kinda a waste. However, i've heard of straight propane working quite well on small 4cyl and 6cyl engines.

As for propane "injection", the only thing that i've heard of that being done on are diesels.

If it ain't broke, upgrade!
-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-
"Nothing is true, Everything is permitted"
1000hpsbchevyFOR

Re: Propane injection?   Posted Sun Nov 10, 02   8:14 AM     

Change pistons, heads, and valves, I don't think so. Propane is a cleaner, better burning fuel with higher btu than most racing fuel, I think the octane rating on it is like 122 or something like that. The only things you have to change to make propane work on any engine big or small are the fuel lines and the throttle body, and maybe even put in some colder burning plugs. Propane is actually a cleaner and more efficient burning fuel(in some cases). And you can get the added pep of race fuel without the lead , so your cats don't start glowing red on you and your O2 sensors aren't affected.They can also tell how much is left in the tank by a pressure gauge on the tank. My dad use to have A propane injected pickup that went from 12 mpg to 16 mpg when he changed it over to propane. In the process he also shaved a little off of the heads to add some compression and changed out the cam for a more hi-po orriented cam. The truck was badass, when he had it in 4wheel-drive he could smash on it in any gear and sand shot 3 or four feet over the cab on all four wheel-wells.

MY 2 cents

Who has the fastest toys and why do I?
Bombadier

Re: Propane injection?   Posted Sun Nov 10, 02   10:46 AM     

what i meant by changing the pistons valves and heads....... well, i would at LEAST want to slap in some valves and seats that could handle higher temps...... to avoid a situation like you'd get running regular in an old leaded mill......
and heck, while i was in there, might as well slap in some new pistons, heads, rockers.......
Whilst in Rome, etc etc etc......

If it ain't broke, upgrade!
-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-
"Nothing is true, Everything is permitted"
1000hpsbchevyFOR

Re: Propane injection?   Posted Sun Nov 10, 02   12:01 PM     

i wouldn't change the valves but if it was an unleaded engine id put some better hardened valve seats in it.

I'd leave it alone if there was nothing wrong with it, well maybe not but i wouldn't go to the extreme as to changing out parts of the rotating assembly.

Changing over to propane doesn't require tearing into the engine.

Some things are better off left alone.

Who has the fastest toys and why do I?
BlownGTP

Re: Propane injection?   Posted Sun Nov 10, 02   6:41 PM     

LOL, well that sounds nice and all but i dont want to totally convert to propane. i just want to avoid a potential detonation problem.

BlownGTP

Re: Propane injection?   Posted Sat Nov 16, 02   9:31 AM     

http://www.onlygoodstuff.com/product.asp?intProdID=51 see, take a look and tell me what you think.

Pages in this thread: (1) 2