This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 5587

uglystick
Corvette Cam Flip = 100bhp?   Posted Tue Aug 27, 02   5:07 PM     

hey,

rumor has it that if you take a camshaft out of a newer corvette and flip it end for end with the same degreeing, etc, it will produce an extra 80 or so horse...

i'd assume it's a split profile cam and that flipping it end for end swaps the profiles for intake and exhaust.

any solid knowledge out there on this one?

jason

'64 El Camino w/ 383 Stroker; '75 BMW 3.0 CS w/ 3.2l Stroker; '78 IH Scout TBI/MSD 345 V8; '85 Jag XJS w/ 327 Dual Quad & Camelbacks; '96 Dodge Ram 4" Drop, 20's, Purdy...
FordFactor

Re: Corvette Cam Flip = 100bhp?   Posted Wed Aug 28, 02   2:51 PM     

Never heard of that. But sounds cool, i mean how hard is it to get the cam flipped? or in other words how hard is it to get those 80+ horses.

Give me ten seconds and 1/4th of a mile and i'll show you what i can do..
SweetNeon

Re: Corvette Cam Flip = 100bhp?   Posted Fri Aug 30, 02   1:32 AM     

its all a bunch of bull shit

uglystick
Re: Corvette Cam Flip = 100bhp?   Posted Fri Aug 30, 02   10:13 AM     

what's up neon? how's your car doing? you never came back after posting your specs. but alas, yer back. right on.

we'll have to race one of these days if i ever get down there...

physically possible it's a bunch of bs, but theoretically, it's not. if you actually built a cam with the opposite profiles for intake and exhaust it would increase the hp tremendously...

i dunno about 80, but a lot more than 10.

jason

Phatmatt

Re: Corvette Cam Flip = 100bhp?   Posted Sat Aug 31, 02   10:41 AM     

this is true as far as I know. but not like you guys said, but how Uglystick said it. The cam with the oposite profile it does crank out some serouis power.

BlownGTP

Re: Corvette Cam Flip = 100bhp?   Posted Sat Aug 31, 02   11:18 AM     

wouldnt that mess up the firing order or no? im not that good at these kind of things.

--------------------------------------------------------------ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
uglystick
Re: Corvette Cam Flip = 100bhp?   Posted Sat Aug 31, 02   1:30 PM     

it's like this: it's a split profile cam. meaning that the exhaust lift is x and the intake lift is y. if you made a cam with the intake lift of y and the exhaust lift of x, it would increase the hp...

jason

FordFactor

Re: Corvette Cam Flip = 100bhp?   Posted Sat Aug 31, 02   9:39 PM     

Theoretacly it makes sence.

Give me ten seconds and 1/4th of a mile and i'll show you what i can do..
Phatmatt

Re: Corvette Cam Flip = 100bhp?   Posted Sun Sep 1, 02   2:00 PM     

yeah but you wouldn't want to just rip out your camshaft flip it around and put it back in, and just be like "good to go." you know what, actually do that and tell me how it goes. mwa ha ha

SweetNeon

Re: Corvette Cam Flip = 100bhp?   Posted Sun Sep 22, 02   1:05 PM     

you wouldnt have the same red line thats forsure