This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 2676

uglystick
torquing header studs into alu. heads...   Posted Fri Aug 9, 02   11:42 AM     

yeah, i've got a set of alu. heads, and i seem to blow out the header gasket (twice now) on the drivers side. i can't torque the bolts down too well, or i'm afraid i'll tear up the aluminum. any tips/tricks, i was thinking of using threadlocker blue or green (the tame stuff).

any ideas?

jason

'64 El Camino w/ 383 Stroker; '75 BMW 3.0 CS w/ 3.2l Stroker; '78 IH Scout TBI/MSD 345 V8; '85 Jag XJS w/ 327 Dual Quad & Camelbacks; '96 Dodge Ram 4" Drop, 20's, Purdy...
BlownGTP

Re: torquing header studs into alu. heads...   Posted Fri Aug 9, 02   11:51 AM     

lol, yea just cross thread the bolts! LOL

--------------------------------------------------------------ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
Cutlass

Re: torquing header studs into alu. heads...   Posted Fri Aug 9, 02   4:26 PM     

in my aluminum heads i just use anti sieze and tighten them up, but they've been heli coiled from the factory so i don't have much to worry about. try getting a set of Mr Gasket Ultra Seals, i've had mine in for about 2 years now and never had a blow out. if you can't get the bolts to stay tight in the head i'd switch my bolts out to the locking header bolts that Summit sells.

-------------- 470 cubic inches of pissed off Oldsmobile.
uglystick
Re: torquing header studs into alu. heads...   Posted Mon Aug 12, 02   11:02 AM     

yep, i got those mr. gasket's. we had the drivers side bolts back off before and fry the gasket. so we bought flowtech aluminum gaskets, and only (luckily) installed one of them. so when we blew it out from the bolts backing off, we substituted the other. now i have a good set of mr. gasket copper's and we'll put them in as soon as we get some good hardware.

thanks for the info, i'll call summit here pretty soon.

btw, the car is fun as hell!!!

jason

'64 El Camino w/ 383 Stroker; '75 BMW 3.0 CS w/ 3.2l Stroker; '78 IH Scout TBI/MSD 345 V8; '85 Jag XJS w/ 327 Dual Quad & Camelbacks; '96 Dodge Ram 4" Drop, 20's, Purdy...