This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 2933

uglystick
odd behaving hei...   Posted Tue Aug 6, 02   10:20 AM     

for some reason, my car is backfiring out the carb and exhaust intermittently when the vacuum advance hose is connected to the carb. disconnect it and plug off the nib, and it runs just fine. this is regardless of how we set the advance on the distributor.

it's not like explosive backfiring out the exhaust, more of the little headerpipe fart noises you'd hear if you switched two plug wires. we thought it might be the ignition control module not being able to interpret what to do, but can't think of much else that would cause that backfiring out both the carb and the exhaust. any ideas?

could it be a screwed up vac adv. arm or diaphraghm?

how can i tell aside from pulling the cap, and sucking/blowing on the vacuum advance hose?

in due time...

jason

'64 El Camino w/ 383 Stroker; '75 BMW 3.0 CS w/ 3.2l Stroker; '78 IH Scout TBI/MSD 345 V8; '85 Jag XJS w/ 327 Dual Quad & Camelbacks; '96 Dodge Ram 4" Drop, 20's, Purdy...
1000hpsbchevyFOR

Re: odd behaving hei...   Posted Tue Aug 6, 02   2:59 PM     

Could be a bad ground or a fried condenser.

Who has the fastest toys and why do I?
uglystick
Re: odd behaving hei...   Posted Tue Aug 6, 02   3:20 PM     

hmmm. where's the condensor on an hei distributor? mine (as far as i remember), has the coil internally, the msd unit instead of the stock module, and that's it.

i'll check the ground asap though!

jason

'64 El Camino w/ 383 Stroker; '75 BMW 3.0 CS w/ 3.2l Stroker; '78 IH Scout TBI/MSD 345 V8; '85 Jag XJS w/ 327 Dual Quad & Camelbacks; '96 Dodge Ram 4" Drop, 20's, Purdy...
1000hpsbchevyFOR

Re: odd behaving hei...   Posted Tue Aug 6, 02   6:09 PM     

sorry I was thinking of a points ignition.

Who has the fastest toys and why do I?
Cutlass

Re: odd behaving hei...   Posted Wed Aug 7, 02   3:51 PM     

do you have an adjustable vac. advance, if so take some timing out of it. you're probably advancing to much with the vac.

-------------- 470 cubic inches of pissed off Oldsmobile.