This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 8949

uglystick
Slip Yoke Madness...   Posted Fri Jul 5, 02   5:46 PM     

Well, we got the rear end done, into the car, all ready to finalize, went to slide the slip yoke further into the th350 and it won't budge.

either direction. it looks like a pretty fuckin shitty driveshaft, but i'm curious how the hell i can get the bitch out of the trans to at the very least use a different shaft. it will not budge either way. anyone have any ideas?

btw, i've got pics of the car, pics of the rear axle, all that shit. they'll be posted on monday.

now, how do i un-jam a slip yoke? it's about equal with the rear end right now in terms of seating position, but it does not for the love of god have any play in or out of the trans tailhousing. it's like it used to be a solid non slip linkage.

jason

'64 El Camino w/ 383 Stroker; '75 BMW 3.0 CS w/ 3.2l Stroker; '78 IH Scout TBI/MSD 345 V8; '85 Jag XJS w/ 327 Dual Quad & Camelbacks; '96 Dodge Ram 4" Drop, 20's, Purdy...
Cutlass

Re: Slip Yoke Madness...   Posted Mon Jul 8, 02   3:20 PM     

try proping your feet on a K member and pull it from the rear of the driveshaft out towards the rear end, thats what worked when mine jammed in there.

-------------- 470 cubic inches of pissed off Oldsmobile.
uglystick
Re: Slip Yoke Madness...   Posted Mon Jul 8, 02   3:44 PM     

we tried that already. it didn't work. and that was with one of us pulling on the rear u joint area of the shaft and the other of us tugging on the front yoke with a big steel cable looped through the yoke. it seems like it really just needs a bone jarring force driven to the rear of the vehicle applied on the front yoke. we're going to put a 1/2" steel square bar though the yoke and smack it with a five pound mallet. if that doesn't work, we'll try two air hammers on the front yoke firing to the rear of the vehicle simultaneously.

i always wondered why my compressor had a T fitting to supply two tools at once...

and if that doesn't work we're going to press the rear u joint out and put a new one in that has 2 caps that fit the shaft, two caps that fit the pinion yoke, then just put a little torque through the drivetrain and see if that jars it loose.

we'll see. it's just tough to get into that area anyway, i'll probably have to drop the exhaust, as the h pipe is in the way of the entire tailhousing.

jason

'64 El Camino w/ 383 Stroker; '75 BMW 3.0 CS w/ 3.2l Stroker; '78 IH Scout TBI/MSD 345 V8; '85 Jag XJS w/ 327 Dual Quad & Camelbacks; '96 Dodge Ram 4" Drop, 20's, Purdy...
uglystick
Re: Slip Yoke Madness...   Posted Tue Jul 9, 02   1:33 PM     

ok, i got the slip yoke off, and sure enough the splines on the yoke itself are fuct!

they are bent (slightly, not severely, but enough to jam the output shaft into the yoke).

anyway, i'm in need of a new slipyoke, and i'm curious if i go with a harder material, what kind of difficulties i will run into harming the output shaft instaed of the yoke splines. the output shaft splines seem to be fine.

any suggestions?

jason

Cutlass

Re: Slip Yoke Madness...   Posted Tue Jul 9, 02   1:40 PM     

call up Inland Empire driveline, they'll tell you anything you need to know. they are in Ontario Southern Ca. the number is (909) 390-3030.

-------------- 470 cubic inches of pissed off Oldsmobile.
uglystick
Re: Slip Yoke Madness...   Posted Tue Jul 9, 02   3:53 PM     

yeah those guys were great, had good ideas for upgrading my hollow inner c clip u joints to the solid type that use the ears on the yoke to retain the caps, and i guess the better of the two slip yokes comes with that configuration.

thanks for the contact.

jason

Fst69Chevelle
Re: Slip Yoke Madness...   Posted Tue Jul 9, 02   5:58 PM     

HEY UGLY STICK YOU AND BIG BA BLUE WOULD GET A LONG VERY WELL! HAHA

It Wuz Once 69Chevelle But Now Im Faster And Better! So Fuck You
uglystick
Re: Slip Yoke Madness...   Posted Wed Jul 10, 02   10:18 AM     

hey man,

i've got nothing against you, but write a complete sentence for once! you're posts are so non sequitir (look it up) that i can't even follow what the hell you're talking about.

who's big ba blue? at least i ask questions that most people can't answer.

jason
ever twisted your slip yoke splines fst69chevelle? THAT is torque.

hooyeah
Re: Slip Yoke Madness...   Posted Wed Jul 10, 02   10:29 AM     

big bad blue is some guy with a chevy blazer that looks stock but apparently runs 13s or sometihng he's probably talking about the whole suv type thing i think

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- CHEVY dodge ford thats just the way it works
uglystick
Re: Slip Yoke Madness...   Posted Wed Jul 10, 02   10:40 AM     

Yeah, my scout runs 7's. In 4 Wheel High.

7 second 60 foot i mean.

;-)

jason

PremiumSyzle
Re: Slip Yoke Madness...   Posted Sat Jul 13, 02   8:49 PM     

blazer that runs 13s? Could it be a typhoon? Mmmmm

Fst69Chevelle
Re: Slip Yoke Madness...   Posted Sat Jul 13, 02   8:57 PM     

SORRY GUYS TALK TO BIG BAD BLUE ABOUT THIS ONE!

hooyeah
Re: Slip Yoke Madness...   Posted Sat Jul 13, 02   11:30 PM     

no it is like an 80's sometihng k5 i think

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- CHEVY dodge ford thats just the way it works
Fst69Chevelle
Re: Slip Yoke Madness...   Posted Sat Jul 13, 02   11:54 PM     

83 TO BE EXACT!