This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 6813

uglystick
12 Bolt Headache....   Posted Tue Jun 25, 02   4:40 PM     

Hey y'all,

first time i've posted here, but i've been lurking for plenty long.

and just first off, before i say anything meaningful...some of y'all need to pause a minute before you post. and some of y'all are very helpful. you know who you are.

ok, here's my question. has anyone on this list had an auburn gear pro limited slip in a 500+ hp application go bad? by go bad, i mean burn up clutches or spit out springs, etc. i'm planning on using one in my current 12 bolt buildup for my '64 el camino.

other elements in the buildup are (and your opinions of this are appreciated): Tom's Axle Shafts w/ 1/2" wheel studs, all new brake hardware, 3.73:1 US Gears, Timken Bearings, Moser Pinion Yoke, Moroso Stud Girldes, Spicer U-joint, C Clip Eliminator kit from strange, TA Aluminum Rear Cover w/ main cap preload bolts & drain/fill plugs.

I would go with a detroit locker but rumor has it they are not available for the 12 bolt passenger car axle. I have had difficulty finding one, and on top of that, the only place that says they can get one wants $590....kinda steep.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. And yes, I am doing all the work myself. Pinion depth gauge? We don't need no steenkin pinion depth gauge, we've got a screwdriver with a sharpie pen mark on it! ;-) just kiddin.

And for those of you who are curious, the last time the car ran at the track, on 9" wide BFG Radial TA's w/ a 2.73 One Tire Fire and a TH350 w/ no check balls in the valve body, it ran a 13.65. W/ a 3.73, slicks and a posi, i'm assuming a solid 12.6. any ideas? the old setup burned the tires til the 60' mark at least on that 13.65 run, and had a sloppy 1 to 2 second 1-2 and 2-3 shift.

Jason Griffith

'64 El Camino w/ 383 Stroker; '75 BMW 3.0 CS w/ 3.2l Stroker; '78 IH Scout TBI/MSD 345 V8; '85 Jag XJS w/ 327 Dual Quad & Camelbacks; '96 Dodge Ram 4" Drop, 20's, Purdy...
uglystick
Re: 12 Bolt Headache....   Posted Tue Jun 25, 02   4:47 PM     

and it's a headache because i can directly see the money spill out of my bank account like i had to have a triple bypass with no health insurance.

and yes, for you lurking limp wristed san francisco treats, my pic does say 'rice crusher' on it. and yes, the scout will pull the front end off the ground enough to eat your park bench with those mickey thompson baja claws... horsepower? no need for that when you've got a boatload of torque...and yes, it will do a very healthy 4 wheel burnout on those m/t's in high.

jason

'64 El Camino w/ 383 Stroker; '75 BMW 3.0 CS w/ 3.2l Stroker; '78 IH Scout TBI/MSD 345 V8; '85 Jag XJS w/ 327 Dual Quad & Camelbacks; '96 Dodge Ram 4" Drop, 20's, Purdy...
LethalToy

Re: 12 Bolt Headache....   Posted Tue Jun 25, 02   8:40 PM     

nix the detroit thoughts and go for a short spool. great on the track but pretty much useless on the street. as for axles, i prefer Strange Axles. Do a search and you will be pleased.

BTW welcome to the board. Nice to see another offroader in the mix.

----------------------------------------------------------- Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.
uglystick
Re: 12 Bolt Headache....   Posted Wed Jun 26, 02   9:39 AM     

like my signature line indicates...you can't have enough fun with just one kind of vehicle!

my scout is a pretty stock little monster. it's had the oem 2bbl intake throats ported from the size of a quarter to a 2" throat, a 670cfm holley 2bbl projection unit installed w/ closed loop kit (switchable), msd 6 offroad, msd coil, wires, etc. i'm installing a set of 3.73 (blew up the 3.54's) gears in it next week with a powrloc in the back and a tracloc up front. it runs a set of 31x10.50 mickey t radial baja claws at stock ride height. and it's a selective edition scout so it has all the goodies on it already (tilt wheel, gas tank skidplate, 3/4 ton suspension, 44's front and rear, front oem disc brakes, etc. i love it. it's a hearty little trail rig that can go most places lifted scouts can and it's also a very amicable daily driver.

and it'll pull a wheelstand. that tends to shred dried out dana 44's though!!! after it's year of sterling performance, i didn't even think to routinely check the fluid level... whoops. luckily, i got my gears, powrloc and tracloc for $100 from a guy who had upgraded to 5.88's.

so obviously, it's rear end week at the griffith household...

and also, the el camino is a street car. if it ever sees the track again, it'll be on a test and tune night so i can properly tune my carb (secondary cam lobe has to be changed, and so do the jets...). so i think i'll be going with the auburn pro. they're good posi's. i love mine in my truck. it's silent, holds power well and has withstood quite a few brake stands on 11" wide yokohama avs/st's...

as for the strange axles, i'll check into it. my budget is GONE though, so if they're too much more expensive than the tom's set or the dutchmen's i'm lookin at, they'd be prohibitive. i can always upgrade to them when i do the c clip eliminator kit (can't afford that one right now either...)

later,

jason

BlownGTP

Re: 12 Bolt Headache....   Posted Wed Jun 26, 02   9:47 AM     

hey man, i want to see a picture of the dodge if you have time to post it. im intrested to see how it looks.

------------------------------------------------------------- I dont know what i love more, cars or girls! actually wait, i like girls more!
sweetdevil
Re: 12 Bolt Headache....   Posted Wed Jun 26, 02   10:54 AM     

Interested in seeing the elco

__________________ Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over!
uglystick
Re: 12 Bolt Headache....   Posted Wed Jun 26, 02   11:00 AM     

baby, with all the messages of yours i've read, you'd LOVE IT!

let me see what i've got.

it's white with fucked up red flames, the badging on the rear quarter says HELLCAMINO. it's full on big daddy roth style with a twist of redneck....we had to cut a hole in the roof so the shifter would fit... steely rims, nice little rake, and it sounds like a fuckin nascar.

the paint was as is when i bought it...

jason

sweetdevil
Re: 12 Bolt Headache....   Posted Wed Jun 26, 02   11:12 AM     

Sounds like my kinda car!!! Paint as is!! lol

__________________ Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over!
PremiumSyzle
Re: 12 Bolt Headache....   Posted Sun Jun 30, 02   6:36 AM     

Impressive El Camino! lol, and I feel you as far as spinning down the track.. posi helps alot. lol, I was driving my friend's Syclone the other day, and I couldn't get the som'b*tch to barely even chirp! AWD, wow.. Heheh