This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 64035

Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3) 4 5  
sweetdevil
Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Thu Jul 25, 02   8:03 AM     

As far as classic cars, muscle cars and schlockrods go, I wouldn't build a Ford. I'm in the decision making process of getting a new truck. Of course, DOT wants to prerunner it, and Ford is good to do that with, so he's suggesting a ranger for me. We agree S10's look like ass prerunnered, but we're gonna do it anyway.... I think. Any ideas??? I know I want Chevy, I know I want something that'll cruise down the sand drags, but it's also going to be my daily driver.

__________________ Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over!
hooyeah
Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Thu Jul 25, 02   2:04 PM     

sounds sorta liek my idea 2000 pound car lightened a bit rwd non smog car (in canada atleast) and a 500+ hp to the wheels after engine less than 2500 pounds and shevy all the way

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- CHEVY dodge ford thats just the way it works
hooyeah
Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Thu Jul 25, 02   2:05 PM     

and sweet devil my ideas if u r going to get a new truck and are in a nice climate not exactly a sand dragger but i'd say dodge dakota r/t i like the looks of them and they have the power to use

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- CHEVY dodge ford thats just the way it works
FordFactor

Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Thu Jul 25, 02   2:46 PM     

Well i don't like el camino's or El ranchero or any of those car/truck vehicles. But i think that ford has the better muscle car now with the 03 cobra, just read in a magazine that the cobra went 12.01 118 with a slightly smaller pulley and the airsilencer removed, next , slicks. That's virtually an 11 second street car for 35,000. What do you guys think?

Give me ten seconds and 1/4th of a mile and i'll show you what i can do..
1969Stang
Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Thu Jul 25, 02   8:36 PM     

I know dot probably knows this but I'm just going to say this anyways...The rangers are good for the prerunner thing...but make sure you get a good kit because the ranger used twin I-beams same with a lot of ford trucks(don't know what year your getting), but it will mess with the camber and make it way positive if its lifted I believe. So I know fabtech or what ever there called makes a kit. Trucks the t.v. show is doing a ranger project truck and a bronco if anyone care(probably not but still)lol...

For Sale

1969 Mustang Great car hate to have to sell it...4000 obo
BlownGTP

Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Fri Jul 26, 02   6:26 AM     

What is a prerunner?

--------------------------------------------------------------ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
sweetdevil
Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Fri Jul 26, 02   7:32 AM     

I really don't want Ford....
What's a Schlockrod? Whats a Prerunner??? lol here's the actual definition of a prerunner, a lot more precise than my schlockrod definition....

What's a "prerunner" ?
The term "prerunner" originally meant a vehicle that was not a race vehicle, but was used to go around a racecourse prior to a race so that someone could familiarize themselves with the course, or in other words, a prerunner is used to pre-run a course.

Today, the term "prerunner" is used to typically describe a two-wheel drive truck that has been modified to handle the rough terrain of the desert at a high rate of speed. Some are pretty, some are functional, some are both. But don't let looks fool you...sometimes the ugliest of prerunners can perform like a dream! The prerunners phenomena is sweeping the west and it'd be nearly impossible to drive the freeways of Southern California without seeing one.

The "prerunner look" is obtained usually by mounting flared fiberglass fenders which allows for better tire clearance, performance or race shocks, a tubular bumper and skid plate, and bigger and more aggressive tires. That will get you a decent offroad truck, but for those who are more serious, next would come a suspension kit or custom suspension components, such as bent I-beams for older Fords or custom upper and/or lower A-arms. At this point it would be wise to also include a roll cage.

Some people don't want to stop there. More and more often you can find a truck that has been "3 or 4 linked". What this means is that the frame has (usually) been cut away and the rear end is attached via swing-arms, usually after removing the whole bed and adding fiberglass bedsides. Many people will often switch out there stock rear axle with one that is beefier. Ford 9 inch rear ends and Dana 60's are the preferred choice of most prerunners.

There are many more things you can do to a prerunner truck to make it custom...race seats, after-market gauges, custom graphics, and on and on. It is said that once a person starts building their truck the "curse of the prerunner" kicks in and that is that IT IS NEVER FINISHED!
- www.prerunners.com

sweetdevil
Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Fri Jul 26, 02   7:34 AM     

Oh ya, and while we're on the subject of cars looking like ass.... and not some hot chicks ass, but the kinda ass that's dimpled with cellulite....
The new Mustangs look pretty bad. I'm not too anti-Ford, but this is one car I would never own, or want to even drive!!! I'm not impressed with a lot of new cars, I like the american muscle classics for racing...

BlownGTP

Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Fri Jul 26, 02   8:54 AM     

Wow, those things sound like alot of fun. we dont have sand here in wisconsin so i havent ever seen one of those. i have another question. where do i find a girl like sweet devil? LOL she knows alot more about cars than most girls do. i mean look, she just tought me somthing! LOL

--------------------------------------------------------------ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
hooyeah
Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Fri Jul 26, 02   12:33 PM     

no offense at all to sweetdevil but i don't really think she wrote that she might have but most of her replies are short and that looked like a magazine article . i went to that site and looked at the pictured those things look like a hell of a lot of fun damnit we need some dessert in canada

Edited by hooyeah (Fri Jul 26, 02   12:48 PM)

sweetdevil
Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Fri Jul 26, 02   2:39 PM     

That's why I put the link there! go to www.prerunners.com and go to the FAQ's, that's where that excerpt came from. lol

sweetdevil
Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Fri Jul 26, 02   2:41 PM     

There's desert all over the world, but the only place I've seen prerunnered trucks is in Southern California. DOT and I went to San Francisco this weekend, and saw lots of disco trucks, but not a single prerunner...

BlownGTP

Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Sat Jul 27, 02   8:57 AM     

well, you cant tell me that there is desert here in wisconsin or in canada. we are almost rite next to eachother.

LethalToy

Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Sun Jul 28, 02   12:09 AM     

I was waiting for Uglystick to respond to this thread about pre-runners but I will instead.

I don't wish to sound condescending but fibreglass fenders, a tube bumper and skidplates on a 2wd truck does not even make it close to a decent offroad truck. A stock 4x4 with a locker is a decent offroad truck. In order to make a functional prerunner, then much suspension work needs to be done. A locker is a must, long travel front suspension, shocks with limiting straps, a lift kit that will incorporate the use of a minimum 32" tire and after all that is added to a 2wd truck then you have a decent offroad truck. The prerunner look can be done quite easily but the practical application has a huge difference. I have built some trail capable 2wd's that can outwheel some 4x4's due to diligent driving and a working suspension. The 2wd truck shines in the desert. Less weight in the front and no drive wheels in the front tearing up or disturbing the sand before the rears can touch it. Momentum is their weakness. You stop or slow down in a 2wd prerunner w/o a locker, then pull out your shovel cause most prerunner bumpers can't incorporate a winch in it's design. Don't get me wrong, a prerunner can be very capable but it does take a lot of work and good offroad skills to make them perform.

Anyways, my .02 cents.

Sorry haven't posted much, still dealing with the move and we had a very close friend of the family die last night at the same time my wife got in a car accident with our tow vehicle (93 Ford F-250 w/460). Our friend was riding his jetski on the river and hit one of the bridge supports as he was travelling down river. I guess he got sucked in and hit dead on at @ 55-60mph. No helmet and hit head first after the jetski hit. A friend performed CPR for about 20 minutes until the paramedics arrived but they ascertained that he was killed on impact. The hull of his jetski is completely crushed and his children have been denied the right to view the body until the funeral because of the massive trauma to his head and face. Their uncle (walters brother) figured it would better for them not to see him like that until the mortician does his work. A sad (and very stressful) time around here right now.

Sorry to bring the mood down, but I found that it helps to get this off my chest. I am going to go chop some firewood to relieve some pressure. Strange thing. My wife got in her accident at 11pm and at the same time that Walter hit the bridge support. Kinda freaky.

----------------------------------------------------------- Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.
hooyeah
Re: Roush Stage 2   Posted Sun Jul 28, 02   12:36 AM     

sorry about your losses lethal that is sort of weird it happened at the same time well good luck and don't worry about bringing the mood down it helps to bitch about things at times and i'm sure everyone here will understand good luck and hope your girls okay

Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3) 4 5