This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 43617

Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3  
DBLDREW
Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Mon Oct 23, 06   6:29 PM     

It’s not for fuel economy, turbos, and superchargers reduce fuel economy not increase it.

89 Mustang 11.86 @ 118mph
NOS
Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Tue Oct 24, 06   4:24 PM     

OMG YOUR SO SMART!! HOW DID U EVER FIGURE THAT OUT??

if u read this than FUCK YOU

and ur mom fingers herself everythime she sees me
DBLDREW
Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Tue Oct 24, 06   6:13 PM     

It’s called common sense numnuts.

69charger
Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Wed Oct 25, 06   2:41 PM     

thats something he's never had and never will.

[External Image Removed]
ShotgunStang429

Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Wed Oct 25, 06   5:40 PM     

First off, NOS, you sound like a 12 year old so i'll save the shit talk, knowing that you're 12 is enough of an insult. And DBL, overall it saves gas you stupid bastard. small engine +turbo and supercharger, less gas than an 8, 6, or even 2.0 4 cylinder. uses less gas. even with both chargers it uses less gas than a 2.0 and gets about the same power. blow me douche

Neil, I wanna party with you!!!!!!
NOS
Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Thu Oct 26, 06   11:01 AM     

apparently you dont kno anything adding forced induction = needs more gas

69charger
Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Thu Oct 26, 06   12:27 PM     

thats tru but some are small enough not to need fuel flow changes

[External Image Removed]
ShotgunStang429

Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Thu Oct 26, 06   2:03 PM     

hey, no pubes, read the whole post. smaller engine overall uses less gas. thats why its a 1.4 liter. shut up before your voice cracks again.

DBLDREW
Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Thu Oct 26, 06   3:09 PM     

Forced induction adds hp but at the cost of fuel economy. If we look at a few of the BMW cars that are all rwd and have a manual 6 speed we have the following…

The 328i 3.0L, I-6, 230hp/200lb-ft and 20/30mpg
The 335i 3.0L I-6 Turbo 300hp/300lb-ft 19/28mpg
The 750i 4.8L v-8 360hp/360lb-ft 17/25mpg

So comparing the 3.0L non turbo to the turbo we see a drop in the mpg with the turbo model. Now I understand what you are trying to say. You are saying that a manufacturer will have a hp goal, lets say that it is 300hp. They could go with a larger displacement v8 or a smaller displacement but have to add a turbo or supercharger to reach its hp goal. Now your stance is that going with the smaller displacement and adding a turbo or supercharger will get better gas mileage then a non-turbo v8. Well by using the BMW for the comparison we have a 300 hp 3.0L turbo that gets 19/28 compared to a 360hp 4.8L v8 that gets 17/25mpg. So yes the v-8 does get slightly less fuel economy but it also makes much more power. The point here is if they upped the 3.0L turbo up to 360hp to match the v8 the mpg will drop down as well, or if they designed a smaller displacement v-8 say a 4.0L that made 300hp it would get a few mpg better then the 4.8L and be right on track with the 3.0L turbo.

So basically what I’m saying is that going smaller displacement turbo vs larger displacement na is pretty much a wash as far as the mpg are concerned.

Unfortunately the same can’t be said for going with a supercharger. Turbos are very efficient, superchargers are not. A smaller displacement supercharged motor will get far less gas mileage then a larger displacement na motor. But in this discussion we are talking about a motor that runs both a supercharger and a turbocharger. They didn’t add both for fuel economy, that is just plain wrong. I just don’t see how you think that adding the drag of the supercharger and the exhaust backpressure from the turbo will somehow improve the mpg.

69charger
Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Thu Oct 26, 06   4:19 PM     

dude u should write a book or a magazine or somethin

[External Image Removed]
ShotgunStang429

Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Thu Oct 26, 06   6:04 PM     

alright hotshot, here we go. although i do agree with your statement that the twincharger is basically a marketing ploy for semi-retarded car buyers, it works ( though probably not worth the R&D/ retooling of manufacturing plants). let's stay in house with Vdub. The Volkswagen direct injection 2.0 makes 148 horse and the 1.4 makes 168. yay, 20 more friggen horsepower. The 2.0 gets an average 31 mpg, whereas the 1.4 gets an astonishing 32.7 mpg. yea, it's that effective. so no hard feelings, DBL, you sound like the most knowledgeable/ well informed person on this site. i look forward to more heated debates.

DBLDREW
Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Fri Oct 27, 06   7:59 AM     

I don’t know where you are getting your figures from but the Golf gt with the 1.4L twincharger gets 28.8mpg urban and the Golf gt with the 2.0L gets 39.8mpg urban. The twincharger makes more power but it gets less gas milege. Here is the link to the car..

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/golf/gt_spec

NOS
Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Fri Oct 27, 06   10:49 AM     

i think shotgun is just mad because he was raped by his father last night =(

Silo55
Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Sat Oct 28, 06   11:29 AM     

Just to input random information I have heard in magazines, a comany designed a turbo-kit for the Toyota Prius. It added about 60hp, and under normal driving had an increase of 2 mpg. Why put a turbo on a Prius? Well in the first 2k rpms the Prius has near 300ftlbs of torque, by the tiem this heavy torque is done the turbo is spooled, giving the car a wide powerband.......Anyways in some veyr rare occasions a Turbo can increase MPG very slightly.

69charger
Re: has any one ever heard of a TwinCharger?   Posted Sat Oct 28, 06   5:51 PM     

thats some cool info, in the future we may adapt the forced induction for greater mpg and apply its uses on many cars such as the hummer,(god it needs it plus the added hp would give it some extra get-up-and-go). NO riceracer this doesnt mean that u can put a turbo on ur geo and try to get better fuel economy, then sue the company cuz u tried to adapt a diesel semi turbo and in suing them u try to get mony for a hooker. :P see man i got ur basses covered.

[External Image Removed]
Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3