This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 47779

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3  
ToxicCarbon
piston power!   Posted Thu May 11, 06   8:39 PM     

ok so i just want to know if my calculations are correct. if an engine is running at 5000 rpms the crankshaft is spinning 300,000 PER HOUR! ok so if the cranks are running at 300k revs per hour does that mean that its turning at 83.3 times PER SECOND???? so in turn the valve would be opening 166.6 time per second???? that just seems AMAZING the engine can do that and still perform with exelent timing plus running all of the other various part of the engine?

SweetNeon

Re: piston power!   Posted Thu May 11, 06   9:44 PM     

fuckin stoner

CamaroZ28

Re: piston power!   Posted Thu May 11, 06   10:02 PM     

If i said yes would you shut up?

Living life in the fast lane.....
Silo55
Re: piston power!   Posted Fri May 12, 06   11:44 AM     

Do I dare ask HOW you came up with these...."calculations" ?

buddhakwake
Re: piston power!   Posted Sat May 13, 06   9:02 AM     

Well, using his info, if the crank rotates 5000 times per minute then it must be rotating 83.3 times per second (5000 rpm/60secs per min). Quick check of the Sport Compact Car mag I purchased the other day (was sucked in by the cover story of Tuning Myths Busted Wide Open) reveals the same info from their tech guy. So, that would tend to back up his results.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
DBLDREW
Re: piston power!   Posted Mon May 15, 06   9:27 AM     

Yes at 5000 rpm the crank would be spinning at 83.3 rps (revolutions per second) but you made an error with the valves opening at 166.6 times per second. The intake valve(s) will only open during the intake stroke, and likewise the exhaust valve(s) will only open on the exhaust stroke. You have 4 strokes, intake, compression, power, and exhaust. Each individual stroke will be ½ revolution of the crankshaft. So each valve will open every 2 rotations of the crankshaft or 41.65 rps not 166.6.

89 Mustang 11.86 @ 118mph
buddhakwake
Re: piston power!   Posted Tue May 16, 06   1:25 PM     

But that doesn't negate his original point that an automobile engine is an amazing piece of machinery, to be admired and worshipped.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
69charger
Re: piston power!   Posted Fri May 19, 06   4:44 PM     

yes but man made all of these machines so man should be the one to be worshipped. (thank god for the hemi )

eatin rice for lunch
[External Image Removed]
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: piston power!   Posted Fri May 19, 06   8:37 PM     

Practically every motor since the 70's is a hemi, big deal.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO

[External Image Removed]
SweetNeon

Re: piston power!   Posted Fri May 19, 06   9:03 PM     

yea like a rotary motor? ya idiot

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: piston power!   Posted Fri May 19, 06   11:42 PM     

I forgot that you failed English comprehension. Practically means most but not all, hence why I said practically every motor. You get dumber by the minute.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO

[External Image Removed]
SweetNeon

Re: piston power!   Posted Sat May 20, 06   9:16 AM     

GM makes alot of hemi's also huh ya idiot

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: piston power!   Posted Sat May 20, 06   1:33 PM     

Theres more than one motor company out there than GM. Pardon me if they are stuck back in 1970 in R&D. Now what about every other manufacturer? I thought so.

[External Image Removed]
SweetNeon

Re: piston power!   Posted Sat May 20, 06   3:28 PM     

Like land rover a huge list of others ya fucking idiot

buddhakwake
Re: piston power!   Posted Sun May 21, 06   7:51 AM     

Personally I prefer to worhsip women (they smell much better, are less hairy, and...well...I'm sure you can guess the rest without my having to get crude).

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3